City-colour association

Phil

As good a job as I think you've done, SyPhi, I don't think you could accurately compile a list like this without visiting each place (or talking to someone from each place). I agree that Columbus would be scarlet and gray over the Blue Jacket's colors, and Volunteer Orange would be ahead of Titans' blue.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

As good a job as I think you've done, SyPhi, I don't think you could accurately compile a list like this without visiting each place (or talking to someone from each place). I agree that Columbus would be scarlet and gray over the Blue Jacket's colors, and Volunteer Orange would be ahead of Titans' blue.

Sure I can! As I've tried to point out, this is just my opinion! It is not a list  as to what the cities' citizens actually think about their own cities, or what the consensus is, rather my own opinion! The few times I've changed is because I forgot a team or was brought to the realization of an error I had made.

I encourage everyone to submit their opinions! :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

What about the Chiefs and Royals of good old Kansas City? ???

Honest omission, my bad. :D It's been fixed. I guess in analyzing almost 50 cities, I missed KC.

Mad Mac... I see your point. I guess I just consider North Carolina as one city, just so that there's some reasonable comparison. I understand where you're coming from, maybe I should change that up, but the fact is, when I hear 'Carolina', I think Carolina blue. The colour image that Carolina and Charlotte project is still Carolina blue in my opinion, regardless of the geographic proximity of the source of the image. Good catch though.

Charlotte and Raleigh are like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Sy - entirely different cities, with different cultures and definitive attitudes about the other, that just happen to be in the same state.

nav-logo.png

"Indianapolis/Indiana... Pacers blue and yellow... probably the toughest one out there... the fact that there's soo much blue and white (and the fact that the Colts identity isn't exactly revolutionary) means that the Pacers' colours come out on top."

well, it's my understanding that this area is predominantly a basketball area and they care far more about their Pacers than the Colts.  So that alone should make it one of the easier ones.  But i'm not from near there, so I could be wrong.

IUe6Hvh.png

Charlotte and Raleigh are like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, Sy - entirely different cities, with different cultures and definitive attitudes about the other, that just happen to be in the same state.

Yeah, I understand now... I've fixed it already too...

...and the Nashville/Tennessee issue:

Understand me, it may be the case that the entire state of Tennessee drives orange and white cars in their orange and white suits and sportcoats, lives in orange and white houses with little orange and white picket fences, while drinking Orange Crush and milk all day, eating nothing but carrots, cauliflower, and you guessed it, oranges! :P

But from a non-Tennesseean (not to mention non-American perspective), the only thing you usually hear about the U of T is when Peyton Manning introduces himself on Sunday Night Football or something like that. Otherwise, we hear Nashville or Tennessee sports, we think 1) Titans, 2) Predators, and 3) Volunteers, although I'm guessing I'm in the minority of Canadian sports fans who even knows that the U of T's teams are nicknamed the Volunteers.

So from a Canadian perspective, Nashville sports is 1) navy and columbia blue, and then either mustard yellow, silver, and navy or orange and white.

Don't take this the wrong way... I understand you're just announcing that in your list, you'd have Tennessee down as orange and white. I'm just explaining here why my list isn't like that. :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

So college football isn't big in Canada? Down here in the US, it's huge in several different areas of the country. In some areas, its more popular than the NFL. So when people in Lincon, Nebraska; Columbus, Ohio; or the entire states of Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North and South Carolina, and Alabama think of Tennessee, they think orange, with Titan blue a very, very distant second. Before 1997, there wasn't a major-leage level pro team in Tennessee in any sport, so alot of people still see TN as a college state.

You also have to understand that in the majority of the US, especially the south, hockey isn't even on the radar screen. People here don't even know there is a team in our state. I would venture to say the vast majority of those living in the south couldn't name five NHL teams. I know most of the people I know don't have a clue about hockey.

Anyways, I'm really not trying to argue with you. I understand those are your opinions, but your perception from the great land North is alot different from my perspective in the southern US, and someone in California, New York, or Texas will probably have a different opinion on what colors and teams define a state.

In most cases in the US, college colors identify states because their traditions go back much further. When I think of Indiana, I think of the green/blue/gold of Notre Dame Football or the Crimson Red of Indiania University Basketball. The Pacers and Colts colors don't register, largely because I still identify the Colts and their colors with Baltimore and Memorial Stadium, even though they moved years before I was born.

So is anyone up to posting concepts based on this idea?

I was thinking the same thing....take a city with 2 or 3 pro teams and create unis using the same color set for all of them.

Maybe someone will adopt it for a challenge (saintsfan... hint, hint)

hint, hint...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Okay--they're very rough right now--but here's the quick version for the Stars and the Cowboys if Dallas used either the COwboys or the Stars colour schemes-

Stars with Cowboy colours-

dallas.JPG

Cowboys with Stars colours-

dallas_again.JPG

Yes I used NHLuniforms and Football unis Past & Present as the templates.

The Stars would look good in the COwboys colours, but I'm not sure about the Cowboys in the Stars' colours.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Hey I've been handing out the comments on other people's stuff so here I go again--

Canucks throwbacks ala BC Lion colours (okay they're not exact--I did do these in paint.) Home, road, alternate

caucklions.JPG

I know most people here could do this too, and most better--but someone's got to do it.

Archived