Al Arbour to coach one more time

DEAD!

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=334735

Hall of Fame coach Al Arbour will return to Long Island to coach his 1,500th regular season game with the Islanders on Saturday, November 3 when the team hosts Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Nassau Coliseum at 7:00 pm. The legendary coach celebrates his 75th birthday on November 1.

Earlier this week Arbour accepted an invitation from Ted Nolan to run the team for one last game and reach the milestone of 1,500 games coached with the franchise he led to four consecutive Stanley Cups from 1980 - 1983. Arbour will sign a one-day contract on Friday, November 2 and lead the team the following night against the Penguins.

"This is an incredible gesture by Ted and the Islanders," Arbour said this morning from his summer home in Ontario. "I am flattered that Ted thought of me and I wouldn't miss this night for the world. I told the team that I do not want any pre-game fanfare. I'm there to coach the game and help Ted and my Islanders try to earn two points against a very tough team."

Nolan explains why he extended the invitation to Arbour: "Every day last season I would walk by that big board outside our locker room at the Coliseum that lists the franchise's award winners and milestones," said Nolan. "And every day it would kill me when I'd see Coach Arbour made it to 1,499 games.

"I asked (GM) Garth Snow if we could bring Coach back for one more game and to ask the NHL office to recognize it. They did, Coach Arbour emphatically said he was on board and now I can't wait. It's going to be an amazing night, I can guarantee you that. To me, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman are the two greatest coaches in NHL history."

Arbour's games coached and victories with the franchise are the most by any coach with one team in NHL history. His regular season record with the Islanders over 1,499 games is 739-537-223. In the playoffs, Arbour had a 119-79 record with the Islanders. He is the second all-time winningest coach in NHL history with 781 career victories, behind only Scotty Bowman.

"Ted Nolan has shown a great deal of respect for the tradition and history of the New York Islanders and Al Arbour by stepping aside and having Al coach his 1500th game," said Mike Bossy, Arbour's Hall of Fame right wing from the dynasty era. "As a former player of Al's I am looking forward to seeing him adjust his glasses and brush his hair aside one more time.

"Al Arbour put his stamp on what the New York Islanders are all about ? heart, grit and character. It's perfect that he'll be sharing the bench with a man in Ted who believes in the same philosophy. Anyone who's close to Al knows he's taking this very seriously and won't allow himself to soak it all in and enjoy the fan support until the game is over. He's probably already breaking down Pittsburgh game tape."

I saw, I came, I left.

Wow, first an outdoors game and now the last game of a hall of fame coach?

The pens are gettin all the headliners this year arent they?

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

This is a ploy better suited for Texas high school football rather than a top-tier profesional league. Nykesha Sales and Michael Strahan even think this is a worthless, hollow gesture.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This is a ploy better suited for Texas high school football rather than a top-tier profesional league. Nykesha Sales and Michael Strahan even think this is a worthless, hollow gesture.

The NHL is not a top-tier professional league. I am not an Islanders fan, but it is a classy move honoring a legend.

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

The NHL is not a top-tier professional league. I am not an Islanders fan, but it is a classy move honoring a legend.

The Senators did this too in 2002 when Martin stepped aside for two nights so Neilson could get to 1000 games.

We can only hope Al is sportin' these shades, this haircut and the Joe Mauer sideburns again. Also, totally diggin' the offcial licensed jacket there. Looks to be made out of a hefty bag.

24th2d.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

It's a little silly to do this, but what the hell, it's Al Arbour. Imagine if he had coached Long Island continuously instead of taking a break for a few years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yet Ottawa who I'm pretty sure is in the top 5 in the NHL for attendance has yet to see an All-Star Game... :mad:

And Buffalo, who hasn't had an all star game since the '70s and has a newer arena is still waiting for one.

saBS.png

But You've had one at least 13 years after their inception (if they did have one during the 70's) The Senators have been around since the 92-93 season and still haven't got one.

Plus I'm pretty sure we have a better attendance record compared to Buffalo, I could be wrong though.

Hi, how are you?

But You've had one at least 13 years after their inception (if they did have one during the 70's) The Senators have been around since the 92-93 season and still haven't got one.

Plus I'm pretty sure we have a better attendance record compared to Buffalo, I could be wrong though.

They hosted it in 1978. I see how they (Ottawa) should host one, but why shouldn't Buffalo get one before Montreal (2009 hosts) gets one only 17 years after they had it 1993. And yes I know it is their 100th year.

MY PROPOSAL:

2007-Dallas

2008-Atlanta

2009-Montreal

2010-OLYMPICS

2011-Phoenix

2012-Ottawa

2013-Buffalo

2014-OLYMPICS

2015-Anaheim

2016-Pittsburgh

EDIT: Attendance doesn't matter in deciding the ASG. Atlanta is hosting soon, and their attendance is not good.

saBS.png

They hosted it in 1978. I see how they (Ottawa) should host one, but why shouldn't Buffalo get one before Montreal (2009 hosts) gets one only 17 years after they had it 1993. And yes I know it is their 100th year.

MY PROPOSAL:

2007-Dallas

2008-Atlanta

2009-Montreal

2010-OLYMPICS

2011-Phoenix

2012-Ottawa

2013-Buffalo

2014-OLYMPICS

2015-Anaheim

2016-Pittsburgh

EDIT: Attendance doesn't matter in deciding the ASG. Atlanta is hosting soon, and their attendance is not good.

2011 NEWARK !!!! :D

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

MY PROPOSAL:

2007-Dallas

2008-Atlanta

2009-Montreal

2010-OLYMPICS

2011-Phoenix

2012-Ottawa

2013-Buffalo

2014-OLYMPICS

2015-Anaheim

2016-Pittsburgh

Fool! Dont you know the world ends in 2012! :P

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Phew there is still a chance for Ottawa to host it. You know if the whole world ending takes it's time. :P

I think the Mayans said it would end on 12/12/2012. So Ottawa could host the last All-Star Game.

saBS.png

Archived