AAFL Teams go nameless

Wellsandt

Maybe they plan on letting the fans come up with their own nicknames for the teams over time, the way they originally came about before it was all about marketing.

That was my thought exactly and I LOVE IT! Finally. Let the fans call them whatever they wish and after awhile, a name will stick. I think it's great.

Yeah, but then you'll have a CFL-like problem emerge... how many teams called the "Broke Asses" can you have?

nav-logo.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the reason they are staying with "state only" names, at least at this point, is to prevent too much specificity in terms of fan base, college team loyalty, etc. They want to appeal to as wide of a range as possible, and its better to be "TENNESSEE" than "KNOXVILLE" especially if you are trying to lure players from Vanderbilt, MTSU, Memphis, etc to play for you.

Another point. Has there been a team nickname announcement in the last decade that wasn't BLASTED by 80% of the fan base? Why give people something specific to complain about? Let them gripe about league structure, ambiguity in press releases, and things they don't comprehend. It lets them vent their ire about things that may not happen in the first place. When we DO start receiving specifics (schedules, game times, rosters, camp dates) a lot of the generic complaining and automatic naysaying will already have played itself out.

The general blasting of this league might end up being well founded, but to be honest, we know more about THIS league than we did about the WFL and USFL (and probably the WFL for that matter) this far in advance of kickoff. At least they are giving us something to complain about, which is more than we had from the XFL, other than the fact we knew the cheerleaders would probably be dressed like hookers and that they had this really cool idea to decide who received the opening kickoff. (please note sarcasm)

I am looking forward to seeing someone else give pro football a go. I'm definately not anti-NFL (Go Broncos) but I was also a USFL (Denver Gold for LIFE!) fan. There is room for both if the AAFL keeps their wits about them financially. It can't go any WORSE than the XFL.

OK so the Denver Gold for LIFE was a little much... but you get the idea. Having now relocated to the great Southeast, let me be the first to say... GO TENNESSEE. Vo.. uh... Tennessee Ti... well... JUST TENNESSEE!

BroncosSig.jpg

I'm distressed at all of the XFL bashing. It was a football league that tried to introduce something different. It had unique rules, unique uniforms, and was never once given a fair shake to succeed. The XFL lost much of its excess by the championship game and produced quite a few serviceable NFL players. Yes, "He Hate Me" and the cheerleader stuff was ludicrous, but as a clear alternative to the NFL, was it really so bad?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think the reason they are staying with "state only" names, at least at this point, is to prevent too much specificity in terms of fan base, college team loyalty, etc. They want to appeal to as wide of a range as possible, and its better to be "TENNESSEE" than "KNOXVILLE" especially if you are trying to lure players from Vanderbilt, MTSU, Memphis, etc to play for you.

And you just might have a point....except Team Florida has team colors of Orange and Blue, is based in Gainesville, and employs a former Gator as a coach. ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not sure if this league will see the field or not. But I highly doubt that lack of nicknames and/or logos will be its demise.

It's more of a symptom than a cause. (The cause being lack of money...which also is probably the real reason behind the "no nickname" thing.)

It will be a shame if it doesn't work. Because I think it is a great idea. It rewards the players that actually went to school and earned a degree. Alot of the four year players also tend to be fan favorites. It'd be cool to continue watching some of them.

I'm distressed at all of the XFL bashing. It was a football league that tried to introduce something different. It had unique rules, unique uniforms, and was never once given a fair shake to succeed. The XFL lost much of its excess by the championship game and produced quite a few serviceable NFL players. Yes, "He Hate Me" and the cheerleader stuff was ludicrous, but as a clear alternative to the NFL, was it really so bad?

When will you learn that logical, well-thought out posts have no business on these here intarnets?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

When will you learn that logical, well-thought out posts have no business on these here intarnets?

You're assuming he has logical thoughts...

XFL wAzzz teh S uCK!!! Pwned!!!

There we go, back on track..... :P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The XFL's downfall was that it sold way too much sizzle, while making way too little steak. Time that was spent over-hyping and over-marketing their product (and in cases like this, over-marketing can occur) and not enough time arranging scrimmages and non-televised exhibition games. The USFL fell into the same trap - over time the football on the field got better, but the public expectations were high from the get-go - expectations that would have been met had the leagues staged a slate of exhibition games, allowing teams to gel.

nav-logo.png

Archived