Sport Halls of Fame - Worth a visit?

-kj

That Philadelphia to DC leg is going to take you right through Baltimore. It would be well worth your time to take a pit stop for a crabcake or, time permitting, actual steamed crabs. Also, if you're keeping with the sports theme, Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium, the Sports Legends at Camden Yards museum and the Babe Ruth Museum are all a short walk from the Inner Harbor and/or less than a mile off of I-95. Finally, sticking with the HOF theme, the Lacrosse Hall of Fame is about 15 minutes from the Inner Harbor, adjacent to the Johns Hopkins University campus.

Babe Ruth Museum/Sports Legends at Camden Yards

(they're operated jointly, thus the shared website)

Definitely...the Sports Legends at Camden Yards Museum is definitely worth the price of admission. Covers the Colts, O's, Ravens, U. of Maryland, among other teams/sports. Been there twice, and would gladly go there again.

The National Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta is also a good bet. I was kind surprised by how small (ie. it's really one big room with sections, an upstairs interactive zone, and gift shop, but if you love soccer, you'll definitely enjoy it. I know I did.

I went to the National Baseball Hall of Fame when I was 10, and I had alot of fun, but that was like 15 years ago. I'd love to go back as and experience it now that I'm an adult, and was tempted to when I made the trip to Oneonta last month. Unfortunately, just ran out of time.

Have fun!

I almost forgot -- try not to get a speeding ticket while you're driving through Maryland.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I should get your number just in case. ;)

You know where to find me . . . just in case.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

• 3 weeks later...

Raising this from the dead...

So, I've pared the itinerary down a bit. It doesn't really accomplish what I wanted--especially adding new states to my map--but it's still a bit ambitious. I could seriously use some feedback on if this is stupid, or if I'm missing things along the way, or whatnot.

Fri Nov 9 - Arrive PIT, drive to Indiana PA

Sat 10 - day in Indiana, Johnstown Chiefs game

Sun 11 - drive to Pittsburgh in afternoon/evening

Mon 12 - check out Pittsburgh, Penguins game

Tue 13 - drive to Philly in morning (~5 hours), check out Philly

Wed 14 - Phantoms game in morning, drive to Oneonta NY in evening (~4 hours)

Thu 15 - soccer hall in Oneonta, baseball hall in Cooperstown, drive to Baltimore in evening (~ 5.5 hours)

Fri 16 - see Baltimore, Blast game in evening, head to hotel in Alexandria VA

Sat 17 - stuff in DC

Sun 18 - MLS Cup, fly out of DCA to home

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Two things --

1. My son's soccer coach told us last night that the league is having a Blast night some time soon. It might be the same night you're in town, but I'm not sure.

2. I'm not sure what route you planned to take from Cooperstown to Baltimore, but I would recommend taking I-81 to Harrisburg, then going down I-83 to Baltimore. That way you avoid Philadelphia and I-95 traffic -- and about $10-15 in tolls.

Other than that, it sounds exhausting but fun.

Oops, forgot to post the link to the Google Map I cooked up.

Was the link supposed to show your itinerary? All I see is a map of eastern Pennsylvania (more or less).

It shows a bunch of blue lines when I click on it....

Second time's the charm. I'm glad to see Google Maps followed my advice on the "Reverse Cal Ripken (and Robinson (x2), Palmer, Weaver, Murray, for that matter)" leg of the journey.

I almost forgot, I would recommend the Dunder Mifflin tour while you're in the Scranton area.

Thu 15 - soccer hall in Oneonta, baseball hall in Cooperstown, drive to Baltimore in evening (~ 5.5 hours)

I really don't think that you're giving yourself enough time.

I really don't think that you're giving yourself enough time.

For that part? Eh, I dunno. Stumble out of the hotel by about 10, spend a couple hours at the soccer hall, drive up to Cooperstown, basically close the place, then drive to Baltimore. It's a late arrival in Baltimore, sure, but then I'll have most of the day on Friday to see the place, maybe get a non-alcoholic beverage with a teetotaling lawyer type or something.

POTD 2013-08-22

Raising this from the dead...

So, I've pared the itinerary down a bit. It doesn't really accomplish what I wanted--especially adding new states to my map--but it's still a bit ambitious. I could seriously use some feedback on if this is stupid, or if I'm missing things along the way, or whatnot.

Fri Nov 9 - Arrive PIT, drive to Indiana PA

Sat 10 - day in Indiana, Johnstown Chiefs game

Sun 11 - drive to Pittsburgh in afternoon/evening

Mon 12 - check out Pittsburgh, Penguins game

Tue 13 - drive to Philly in morning (~5 hours), check out Philly

Wed 14 - Phantoms game in morning, drive to Oneonta NY in evening (~4 hours)

Fri 16 - see Baltimore, Blast game in evening, head to hotel in Alexandria VA

Sat 17 - stuff in DC

Sun 18 - MLS Cup, fly out of DCA to home

You might want to see if IUP's at home on the 10th, Kev... you can add an NCAA Div. II football game to your sports whirlwind tour if they are.

Going to a Chiefs game? Two things: first, I used to be their PA announcer (early 90's), and second, you've simply GOT TO walk down the street after the game and stop into SCOTT'S BY DAM. Sit down, have a beer, and order one of their big honkin' tacos. It's a hole in the wall, but when you see the size of the taco, you'll thank me.

nav-logo.png

Well, after some deliberation, I decided to use this itinerary. Mostly, if I didn't, I knew I'd get to November 8 with no plan yet.

Hotels are booked in all the places, though I am staying in Albany instead of Cooperstown or Oneonta.

So, now I need more ideas for things to see/do/eat/etc.

POTD 2013-08-22

Well, after some deliberation, I decided to use this itinerary. Mostly, if I didn't, I knew I'd get to November 8 with no plan yet.

Hotels are booked in all the places, though I am staying in Albany instead of Cooperstown or Oneonta.

So, now I need more ideas for things to see/do/eat/etc.

While in Cooperstown check out the shortstop cafe. It's an old time diner style place with a lot of memorabilia on the walls.

BB52Big.jpg

Albany? That will add a little driving time to that leg.

By the way, I think "teetotaling lawyer" may qualify as an oxymoron. Some of us just consume a lot fewer adult beverages than we used to.

Yeah, it wasn't ideal, but apparently the hotels are a bit lacking in Oneonta and Coooperstown or something, so I ended up with a good deal on a place in Albany. I'll just have to wake up a little earlier than drive into Cooperstown first that day, then on to Oneonta, and then Baltimore.

It's not like you're a marketer, where it's a two-drink minimum.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived