Sport Halls of Fame - Worth a visit?

-kj

The second weekend in November, I'm going to be in Indiana PA, about an hour or so from Pittsburgh. The next weekend is MLS Cup in DC, so I decided to take the week between off and go wandering around a part of the country I haven't spent much time in. Surprisingly, it's cheaper to rent a car in Pittsburgh and return it in DC than it is to rent one in Pittsburgh and return it there.

I want to catch a couple of hockey games--I've got a ticket to Devils @ Penguins on Monday, Nov 12, for starters, and might catch games in Johnstown (ECHL) and Philly (AHL)--but I'm not sure exactly how I want to spend the interim time.

I noticed that four major sport halls of fame are in that general region of the country:

Pro football - Canton OH

Baseball - Cooperstown NY

Soccer - Oneonta NY

Basketball - Springfield MA

So, has anyone been to these? Are they worth the trip? I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto a number of times, and I love it.

The other thing is that I'd like to fill in a few of the states I haven't yet visited:

us-map.png

Plus it's cool to add more mileage to my interstate highway map.

Here's a map that I put together to show how it would work if I went to all four sports halls, plus the hockey games I mentioned. The itinerary for such a trip:

Fri 9 - MSP-PIT, drive to Indiana PA

Sat 10 - Indiana PA; ECHL Johnstown Chiefs vs Reading 7p

Sun 11 - Indiana PA; drive to Canton, OH

Mon 12 - Football HoF; drive to Pittsburgh; NHL Penguins vs New Jersey 7:30p

Tue 13 - drive to Cooperstown NY

Wed 14 - Baseball HoF; drive to Oneonta NY; Soccer HoF; drive to Springfield MA

Thu 15 - Basketball HoF; drive to Philadelphia

Fri 16 - Philadelphia; AHL Phantoms vs Binghamton 7:05p

Sat 17 - drive to Washington DC

Sun 18 - DC; MLS Cup 12p; DCA-MSP

Is this totally insane? Are there other things to do in the general area that I should consider?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, lots of people around here (Pittsburgh...it's where I live, don't cha know?) think Erie is one of the best places on Earth. May be worth a trip up there, if only to do some camping on Lake Erie...

...Oh--one other thing: if you don't mind about a 4-5 hour drive, you can take 79 north and go on up to Niagara Falls. (Or, if you prefer scenic travel, U.S. 19 runs from here straight through to Buffalo. I ain't been on either trip, cuz I ain't had the time, but others who have been are the ones who told me abou that. Just figured I'd share...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The second weekend in November, I'm going to be in Indiana PA, about an hour or so from Pittsburgh. The next weekend is MLS Cup in DC, so I decided to take the week between off and go wandering around a part of the country I haven't spent much time in. Surprisingly, it's cheaper to rent a car in Pittsburgh and return it in DC than it is to rent one in Pittsburgh and return it there.

I want to catch a couple of hockey games--I've got a ticket to Devils @ Penguins on Monday, Nov 12, for starters, and might catch games in Johnstown (ECHL) and Philly (AHL)--but I'm not sure exactly how I want to spend the interim time.

I noticed that four major sport halls of fame are in that general region of the country:

Pro football - Canton OH

Baseball - Cooperstown NY

Soccer - Oneonta NY

Basketball - Springfield MA

So, has anyone been to these? Are they worth the trip? I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto a number of times, and I love it.

The other thing is that I'd like to fill in a few of the states I haven't yet visited:

us-map.png

Plus it's cool to add more mileage to my interstate highway map.

Here's a map that I put together to show how it would work if I went to all four sports halls, plus the hockey games I mentioned. The itinerary for such a trip:

Fri 9 - MSP-PIT, drive to Indiana PA

Sat 10 - Indiana PA; ECHL Johnstown Chiefs vs Reading 7p

Sun 11 - Indiana PA; drive to Canton, OH

Mon 12 - Football HoF; drive to Pittsburgh; NHL Penguins vs New Jersey 7:30p

Tue 13 - drive to Cooperstown NY

Wed 14 - Baseball HoF; drive to Oneonta NY; Soccer HoF; drive to Springfield MA

Thu 15 - Basketball HoF; drive to Philadelphia

Fri 16 - Philadelphia; AHL Phantoms vs Binghamton 7:05p

Sat 17 - drive to Washington DC

Sun 18 - DC; MLS Cup 12p; DCA-MSP

Is this totally insane? Are there other things to do in the general area that I should consider?

What in THE HELL are you going to be doing in Indiana, KJ? I lived there for 13 years. Wouldn't go back on a bet if it weren't for my inlaws. You chose... poorly.

With that itinerary, you're liable to spend more time in your car than at the various destinations you've listed. Indiana to Canton is at least a 4-hour trek, while I suspect Indiana to Cooperstown is even more (it takes about 4 hours to get from there to Erie, for example).

nav-logo.png

It's a long story, Mac. It's more for the company than the location. I am, at least, going to get to see the Igloo.

Yeah, I realize it's a lot of driving, but I like roadtrips. I fear that I'm trying to pack too much into a week. I talked to a friend yesterday who used to live in Columbus, and he gave the thumbs-down to Canton, but he's more of a college football fan than pro. (He hasn't been to Cooperstown, but he was jealous that I might go there.)

I'm playing with other itineraries on Google Maps right now. It's fun to mess with maps. :)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Baseball HOF is well worth the trip. I have been there three times and it was great. Since my last visit they have done some major renovations so it's probably even better.

The Pro Football HOF was a real disappointment to me. You might like it but I thought it was a waste of time. It's not nearly as good as the Baseball HOF.

BB52Big.jpg

if youve got kids, the Basketball HOF has lots of things for them to do.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Me... kids.... :lol:

well there's stuff that's fun for everyone too. it's not just fun for kids, but they would enjoy it if you had them

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

How have you not been to Mount Rushmore yet and live in Minnesota

I've lived in ND my whole life (except the past 2 months) and I've never been close to Mt Rushmore. Hell, the only reason I've been to SD is to drive through I-29 to get to KC. I lived only an hour away from SD too! But, Rushmore is like 9 hours away driving.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Hmm I thought everyone who lived there went there eventually and I have cousins in the Dakotas.

I know people who live in Buffalo and have never been to Niagara Falls (30 mins away). So this is very believable to me.

I have lived in New York City all of my life but have never visited the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty.

Archived