Sport Halls of Fame - Worth a visit?

-kj

I'd personally have to spend two days in Cooperstown, but that's just me. Sounds like a trip you'll remember for a lifetime and worthy of a blog. Bringing a laptop?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presuming I'm still employed here at that point, I'll bring my work laptop.

Yeah, I looked a bit on the baseball hall site, and it's apparently a bit more involved than expected. I've been to the hockey hall, and that was a good few hours each time, but it sounds like the baseball hall's even bigger.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 3 weeks later...
Presuming I'm still employed here at that point, I'll bring my work laptop.

Well, no laptop on the trip for me.

So, I leave in two days. if anyone wants to have a meal or something somewhere along my itinerary, give me a shout.

POTD 2013-08-22

And now I'm going to take back the no laptop thing. So I'll try and update from the road, especially after Cooperstown and Oneonta.

POTD 2013-08-22

And for those who've never seen it, post a picture of the giant rotating weightlifter on the roof of the York Barbell Co./Bob Hoffman Weightlifting Hall of Fame (at least I'm pretty sure Bob Hoffman is the right name). It will be on the left/east side of I-83 about 5-10 miles south of Harrisburg, PA. Just be ready or you'll miss it as you zoom by.

No :upside:

Come to think of it, I guess that is another hall of fame that you can visit.

www.yorkbarbell.com

:upside:

Also be sure to look for the Three Mile Island cooling towers as you cross the Susquehanna River on I-83 in Harrisburg. They'll be well down the river on your left as you cross the bridge. Don't look too hard though, because you'll have a right lane exit just past the bridge.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

What a coincidence. Im going to monday night's penguins game, also.

Anyways, in the way of something to do during the day before the pens game while here in the burgh...well...there aint much around here, unless youre into the educational stuff or observing architecture and bridges.

I hear the Carnegie Museams on the Pitt campus in Oakland are pretty nationally recognized. Or, if youre in the Oakland area of the city, you could see the only remaining piece of the Forbes Field wall, and the spot of Bill Mazeroski's homerun in 1960 (marked in the sidewalk across the street) if youre into baseball history. Or check out the Cathedral of Learning (its tall...youll know it when you see it...and you probably will if youre in the Oakland area).

Id tell you to check out the point...but its closed due to construction...You can, however, go to the West End or Mount Washington overlooks. Best views of the city there are, and you cant visit here without going to them...youd just have to know how to get to them.

Well, thats some of the mildly intresting stuff. the best time to see this place is during the summer...except for the weather.

oBIgzrL.png

I'll be in D6, row C, seat 3. If you get a chance, come say hi. I'll probably wear my Admirals jersey to the game:

away-front.jpg

I'm in Indiana right now, just relaxing, will probably head down to Pittsburgh in an hour or two. Interesting little town, reminds me a lot of the town I went to college in (Kirksville MO). I should take some pictures of things before I go, like the big signs around the outside of campus and such, though it's so overcast that getting good pictures might be tough.

I ended up skipping the Johnstown Chiefs game last night, so no ECHL game for me on the trip. Still planning to go to the Phantoms game on Wednesday morning. (Why the hell is that game on Wednesday morning, anyway?)

POTD 2013-08-22

Greetings from Pittsburgh.

Walked around the general downtown area today, saw the stadiums, etc. Ate lunch at Jerome Bettis' Grille 36. Good times, good times.

Still working on uploading pictures to my Flickr account.

1990555704_dfec8ac946.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

The Pens didn't play a bad game, but their defensive mistakes killed them.

And, what, too good to come say hi? *heh*

POTD 2013-08-22

Haha, I was lookin for you since I could see your seats form mine (the balcony where the pens shoot once), but alas, no admirals jersey, and i gave up.

Oh, and it was more than defensive mistakes, it was lack of intensity, occasional bad puck handling, some bad calls by the refs (goalie interference when he got pushed into him trying to stop after being on a rush!?), etc.....

oBIgzrL.png

I was definitely there, got to my seat before warmups even began. And I was wearing the promised jersey. Excuses, excuses. ;)

I was fascinated by the Igloo, a definite step back in time to a different era. The sight lines, at lest from where I was, were excellent--and it's not an angle you're likely to see in a modern arena.

2000134503_dbae3ee46b.jpg

Oh, and hello from Philadelphia...

2011822308_4ec44b7d1f.jpg

2011094303_76d32f2768.jpg

Off to the Phantoms game in a few, then off to Albany, with an impromptu detour on the way--New York City.

POTD 2013-08-22

What chump pays for mileage? :D

Just arrived about 15 minutes ago in Albany. I'm going to get to copying pictures off my memory card here in a minute. A good day overall. Hockey in the morning, dinner in NYC, and some easy driving.

Tomorrow's the two halls of fame. Camera and extra batteries will be at the ready.

Edit: A couple pictures from my day:

2029396110_f774e5ace7.jpg

2028728717_1712e07924.jpg

POTD 2013-08-22

Hockey in the morning, dinner in NYC, and some easy driving.

It's not very often you see the phrase "easy driving" and "NYC" in the same sentence. :D

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Exactly. I took a train into/out of New York. :D

Just got in to Baltimore about 20 minutes ago or so. Today was the day y'all'd be the most interested in--the baseball and soccer halls of fame. It'll take some time to go through my pictures, but I will definitely share.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived