Sport Halls of Fame - Worth a visit?

-kj

Hmm I thought everyone who lived there went there eventually and I have cousins in the Dakotas.

I know people who live in Buffalo and have never been to Niagara Falls (30 mins away). So this is very believable to me.

Or even Torontoians who have never been to the CN Tower.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm I thought everyone who lived there went there eventually and I have cousins in the Dakotas.

I know people who live in Buffalo and have never been to Niagara Falls (30 mins away). So this is very believable to me.

I've lived an hour from the Pro Football HOF most of my life. The first, and only time I went there was in 1999 to attend the HOF game when the Browns came back. Honestly, if it hadn't been for the game and the "rebirth" of the Browns I doubt I would have gone even by now. There are a lot of people around here who have never been there.

When I lived in upstate NY I hadn't been there a month before I went to the Baseball HOF. Most of the people I knew up there had never gone. It's not at all unusual to find locals who have never been the the big "attractions" in their area.

BB52Big.jpg

I have lived in New York City all of my life but have never visited the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty.

Wow that is a surprise

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

As long as you're hitting Oneonta and Cooperstown, you might as well swing up to Canastota to visit the boxing hall of fame, too. It's about an hour & half from Cooperstown.

Thanks for the suggestion... but I hate boxing. Bleh.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On this theme, it took me almost 21 years of living in Kansas City before I ate at Arthur Bryant's. So much of my life... wasted.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

On this theme, it took me almost 21 years of living in Kansas City before I ate at Arthur Bryant's. So much of my life... wasted.

(to keep it going)

I never took the Miller tour until some of my family from upstate came to visit, never been to The Domes and I can count the number of times I've been to Water Street on one hand.

But I have been to the art museum. Once. And that was for a poetry slam that a friend was performing at.

People just don't do the "touristy" things in their hometowns.

KJ, here are some half-decent places to eat in certain places you'll be going or near during the early part of your trip...

In Johnstown, PA (VERY near the War Memorial where the Chiefs play), try:

-- Scot's by Dam. It's a bar/restaurant where the Chiefs (and a lot of friendly drunks) hang out after games. Get a beef or chicken taco and the sauce of your choice. Soft-shell tacos the size of the plate.

In Indiana, PA, try:

-- Sgro's on Philadelphia St. if you like steaks. It's a hole-in-the-wall bar, but they do (or at least did) make a decent steak. Try the Delmonico. Served sizzling.

-- Tom's Pizza (at least I remember it as Tom's) on South 7th St. near Philadelphia St.

In Shelocta, PA (you'll blow through this town on 422-W headed for Ohio, wondering where the *real* highway is), try Sandy Kaye's. It's a truck stop-type place, only generally without the truckers and "home cookin" type fare.

In Elderton, PA (about 5 miles further down 422), try:

-- Schall's (may me misspelling it). Again home-cookin' type fare, reasonably priced.

Anywhere in Pennsylvania, try Sheetz. If you aren't familiar, they're the WalMart of convenience stores.

In Hubbard, OH (near Youngstown), try:

-- Antonucci's on Liberty Ave. Solid italian fare.

In Youngstown (on Belmont Ave), try Mr. D's Captain's Table. Again solid italian fare.

nav-logo.png

I have lived in New York City all of my life but have never visited the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty.

You'd think they would have dragged you all out to the Statue of Liberty as part of a school field trip as a kid. It's odd how New York City residents seem to pride themselves on ignoring all their city has to offer.

I've not spent much time in the area you are going to travel, but I wouldn't pass on a chance to go to the baseball hall of fame and I was surprised at how much time I spent at Niagara Falls once I got there.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

That Philadelphia to DC leg is going to take you right through Baltimore. It would be well worth your time to take a pit stop for a crabcake or, time permitting, actual steamed crabs. Also, if you're keeping with the sports theme, Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium, the Sports Legends at Camden Yards museum and the Babe Ruth Museum are all a short walk from the Inner Harbor and/or less than a mile off of I-95. Finally, sticking with the HOF theme, the Lacrosse Hall of Fame is about 15 minutes from the Inner Harbor, adjacent to the Johns Hopkins University campus.

Babe Ruth Museum/Sports Legends at Camden Yards

(they're operated jointly, thus the shared website)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

They really fixed up the Football Hall of Fame, the actual Hall of Fame room is really cool now. They have 8 or so giant touch screens with all kinds of info, interviews and video clips of the Hall of Famer's, I spent about 2 hours watching stuff on all of the Steeler and Western PA, Hall of Famers.

Going away from this theme, I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame probably about ten times in the past 2 years... CN Tower not-so-much anymore, but when I had free passes back when I was with the Jays I was up there every couple of months.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They really fixed up the Football Hall of Fame, the actual Hall of Fame room is really cool now. They have 8 or so giant touch screens with all kinds of info, interviews and video clips of the Hall of Famer's, I spent about 2 hours watching stuff on all of the Steeler and Western PA, Hall of Famers.

I went to Canton in '91. Had a ball, but the wife (then the gf) didn't care for it much. I'd love to go back, particularly if I didn't have to drag her (and now my daughter) around with me.

nav-logo.png

You'd think they would have dragged you all out to the Statue of Liberty as part of a school field trip as a kid. It's odd how New York City residents seem to pride themselves on ignoring all their city has to offer.

I've not spent much time in the area you are going to travel, but I wouldn't pass on a chance to go to the baseball hall of fame and I was surprised at how much time I spent at Niagara Falls once I got there.

I've been to Ellis Island on a school trip. I also don't know if you directed that comment at me or not , but I don't pride myself on ignoring all of what NYC has to offer.

That Philadelphia to DC leg is going to take you right through Baltimore. It would be well worth your time to take a pit stop for a crabcake or, time permitting, actual steamed crabs. Also, if you're keeping with the sports theme, Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium, the Sports Legends at Camden Yards museum and the Babe Ruth Museum are all a short walk from the Inner Harbor and/or less than a mile off of I-95. Finally, sticking with the HOF theme, the Lacrosse Hall of Fame is about 15 minutes from the Inner Harbor, adjacent to the Johns Hopkins University campus.

Babe Ruth Museum/Sports Legends at Camden Yards

(they're operated jointly, thus the shared website)

Definitely...the Sports Legends at Camden Yards Museum is definitely worth the price of admission. Covers the Colts, O's, Ravens, U. of Maryland, among other teams/sports. Been there twice, and would gladly go there again.

The National Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta is also a good bet. I was kind surprised by how small (ie. it's really one big room with sections, an upstairs interactive zone, and gift shop, but if you love soccer, you'll definitely enjoy it. I know I did.

I went to the National Baseball Hall of Fame when I was 10, and I had alot of fun, but that was like 15 years ago. I'd love to go back as and experience it now that I'm an adult, and was tempted to when I made the trip to Oneonta last month. Unfortunately, just ran out of time.

Have fun!

When I think of "what New York has to offer", the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building don't quite spring to mind. I lived there my entire life until last month, and I think most New Yorkers consider places like MoMA and the Met, two name two of many, are far more interesting, culturally relevant, and special to New York than those glorified tourist traps.

If you make it to Cooperstown, give yourself a good chunk of time to walk around and shop (and a good chunk of money to spend)...the baseball memorabilia/jersey/cap stores there are UNBELIEVABLE.

When I think of "what New York has to offer", the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building don't quite spring to mind. I lived there my entire life until last month, and I think most New Yorkers consider places like MoMA and the Met, two name two of many, are far more interesting, culturally relevant, and special to New York than those glorified tourist traps.

If you make it to Cooperstown, give yourself a good chunk of time to walk around and shop (and a good chunk of money to spend)...the baseball memorabilia/jersey/cap stores there are UNBELIEVABLE.

My favorite store is the one furthest away from the front entrance. It's on the left and across the street from the hall. There are two stores combined and the one I like a lot is the one on the right.

I really like the Pro football HOF. I've been there many times. It's not in a big city though and that Akron/Canton area really isn't that impressive. You'll only be about 2 hrs from Pitts, so why not? If you have extra time to kill, go to the Carnegie Science Center by Heinz Field and check out the Sports Works for some really neat, interactive, scientific sports stuff. I'm a Youngstown State alum and work in Moon Township near Pitts so I can really fill you in with some useless information and odd things to do.

KISSwall09.jpg

If you're driving, I assume you'll be going through South Bend, and if you have the time you should go see the sites at Notre Dame such as the Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus, and the Stadium itself. You'll find lots of interesting stuff if you're a fan of college football in general and it's amazing to see the places behind the lore of Notre Dame in person. And if you have an additional two hours to spend, the College Football Hall of Fame in downtown isn't half bad either. All of this coming from a Boilermaker. ^_^

Archived