TBS graphics

TrueYankee26

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the TBS graphics, the commercial and intro graphics were bugging me with that I-know-this-reminds-me-of-something-but-I-can't-figure-out-what vibe. My wife, of course, nailed it in one: the movie Moulin Rouge. Anyway, I do like the flat, printed sketchiness of those graphics, even if French burlesque maybe isn't the best possible idiom for baseball graphics.

Another aspect of the TBS graphics that is praiseworthy is something I hadn't even noticed the first time around Monday night: The scorecard-style line showing the player's performance in the game so far. There's some wasted space, and the red line representing basepath advancement doesn't stand out enough. But it's otherwise a brilliant idea executed very well. By using the nearly universal visual language of the scorecard, the graphic can communicate much more information much more effectively than the text-heavy batter-recap boxes most other broadcasts use. And the viewer can take this information in with a single glance; I didn't even have to actively shift my view away from the batter to register the info on the scoresheet. (There's a whole level of graphics excellence I hadn't even considered before: graphics that you don't even have to look at to get the information. That's like, meta, dude.) Anyway, I particularly like how the scoresheet graphic also gives viewers who have missed part of the game a catch-up flow-of-the-game update. He's the number-four batter and he's batted so far in the second, fifth, and sixth innings? That information alone tells you a lot about the flow of the game to date.

Plus Steve Stone, whom I still miss from his WGN cablecasting days. If this is how TBS is going to treat us, I have a new favorite national broadcaster. I'll even take that somnolescent Don guy with his reading-the-library-catalog voice over anyone at ESPN or Fox. He may be nature's answer to Lunesta, but unlike, say, Joe Morgan, he doesn't sit there telling you things that are simply contradicted by what you're seeing right now on your screen. I've lost count of the number of times a Morgan monologue about the value of small-ball has been interrupted by a double and a homer, or a speech about how a team relies on the long ball has taken place while the rest of us watch that team walk, steal, bunt, and sac fly to score a run on no hits. (And unlike almost every other non-Morgan announcer, that Don guy doesn't seem to fall into the habit of talking about everything but the game until something happens, then describing what just happened only as it's shown in the replays, as if he's seeing it for the first time.) So throw in the above-average graphics package and I'm sold on this baseball-on-TBS thing.

20082614447.png

Back to the TBS graphics, the commercial and intro graphics were bugging me with that I-know-this-reminds-me-of-something-but-I-can't-figure-out-what vibe. My wife, of course, nailed it in one: the movie Moulin Rouge. Anyway, I do like the flat, printed sketchiness of those graphics, even if French burlesque maybe isn't the best possible idiom for baseball graphics.

Another aspect of the TBS graphics that is praiseworthy is something I hadn't even noticed the first time around Monday night: The scorecard-style line showing the player's performance in the game so far. There's some wasted space, and the red line representing basepath advancement doesn't stand out enough. But it's otherwise a brilliant idea executed very well. By using the nearly universal visual language of the scorecard, the graphic can communicate much more information much more effectively than the text-heavy batter-recap boxes most other broadcasts use. And the viewer can take this information in with a single glance; I didn't even have to actively shift my view away from the batter to register the info on the scoresheet. (There's a whole level of graphics excellence I hadn't even considered before: graphics that you don't even have to look at to get the information. That's like, meta, dude.) Anyway, I particularly like how the scoresheet graphic also gives viewers who have missed part of the game a catch-up flow-of-the-game update. He's the number-four batter and he's batted so far in the second, fifth, and sixth innings? That information alone tells you a lot about the flow of the game to date.

Plus Steve Stone, whom I still miss from his WGN cablecasting days. If this is how TBS is going to treat us, I have a new favorite national broadcaster. I'll even take that somnolescent Don guy with his reading-the-library-catalog voice over anyone at ESPN or Fox. He may be nature's answer to Lunesta, but unlike, say, Joe Morgan, he doesn't sit there telling you things that are simply contradicted by what you're seeing right now on your screen. I've lost count of the number of times a Morgan monologue about the value of small-ball has been interrupted by a double and a homer, or a speech about how a team relies on the long ball has taken place while the rest of us watch that team walk, steal, bunt, and sac fly to score a run on no hits. (And unlike almost every other non-Morgan announcer, that Don guy doesn't seem to fall into the habit of talking about everything but the game until something happens, then describing what just happened only as it's shown in the replays, as if he's seeing it for the first time.) So throw in the above-average graphics package and I'm sold on this baseball-on-TBS thing.

Thats my favorite part of their graphics. For anyone that has ever sat and scored a baseball game, you know that with one quick glance you can tell how well or how badly players have done without much effort. Its a very basic, very visual representation of the stats. TBS is on the right path with this, but you're right in saying that some of the visual elements are barely visible from a distance. But, I really like how they did it. My girlfriend was asking me what each symbol meant and within minutes she could tell exactly which players were doing well in the game. My girlfriend is no sports dope, but stats aren't necessarily her forte. I thought TBS's despiction of the scorecard-style line was on point.

Wonder what FOX will counter with when they ruin....I mean BROADCAST the ALCS & NLCS?

Another aspect of the TBS graphics that is praiseworthy is something I hadn't even noticed the first time around Monday night: The scorecard-style line showing the player's performance in the game so far.

Thats my favorite part of their graphics. For anyone that has ever sat and scored a baseball game, you know that with one quick glance you can tell how well or how badly players have done without much effort. Its a very basic, very visual representation of the stats. TBS is on the right path with this, but you're right in saying that some of the visual elements are barely visible from a distance. But, I really like how they did it. My girlfriend was asking me what each symbol meant and within minutes she could tell exactly which players were doing well in the game. My girlfriend is no sports dope, but stats aren't necessarily her forte. I thought TBS's despiction of the scorecard-style line was on point.

I've always liked this since TBS introduced it on Braves games a few years back. It keeps keeping score alive in a new way and, as with your girlfriend, introduces new people to the concept. I don't keep score at home or at the games I go to (I did for a time as a kid), but I love being able to glance at those graphics and get all of that info.

Wonder what FOX will counter with when they ruin....I mean BROADCAST the ALCS & NLCS?

TBS has the NLCS. We get to enjoy that for four more games after the division series (minimum). Next year, I think Fox and TBS swap the LCS.

Dick Stockton: Baseball Announcer was a pleasant surprise. I know he's done basketball for TNT but I didn't expect TBS to use him here. I didn't get to see the two early games. Who announced those?

FOX is only broadcasting the ALCS, TBS has the NLCS.

Dick Stockton: Baseball Announcer was a pleasant surprise. I know he's done basketball for TNT but I didn't expect TBS to use him here. I didn't get to see the two early games. Who announced those?

Don Orsillo and Joe Simpson on Rockies-Phillies (same as the Tiebreaker game)

Ted Robinson and Steve Stone on Red Sox-Angels

Dick Stockton and Ron Darling for Cubs-Diamondbacks

Chip Caray, Tony Gwynn and Bob Brenly are supposedly the guys for Yankees-Indians

Chip Caray, Tony Gwynn and Bob Brenly are supposedly the guys for Yankees-Indians

As long as he sticks to pitching and pitcher-batter dynamics, Ron Darling might be the best young color guy working today.

But Chip Caray, Gwynn, and Brenly? Ugh. Still, three better-than-average broadcast teams out of four ain't bad.

How long does Fox have a deal for one LCS and the World Series, and is it too early to make a donation to the Help TBS Buy the Rights to the Whole Postseason Fund?

20082614447.png

As long as he sticks to pitching and pitcher-batter dynamics, Ron Darling might be the best young color guy working today.

But Chip Caray, Gwynn, and Brenly? Ugh. Still, three better-than-average broadcast teams out of four ain't bad.

How long does Fox have a deal for one LCS and the World Series, and is it too early to make a donation to the Help TBS Buy the Rights to the Whole Postseason Fund?

I'll chip in a dollar to just to stop hearing Tim McCarver's "arrogant full of himself bulls#!t" that he spews during every broadcast. He's so annoying to listen to because he tries to sound like such a baseball genius. Its like we as fans should bend down on one knee everyday and thank god that he created his holiness the omnipotent all knowing Tim McCarver.

actually...here...I'll pledge TWO dollars.

For those who don't know or even care, Don Orsillo is the TV voice of the Boston Red Sox. When I first tuned in to the San Diego-Colorado game, like one poster mentioned, I thought it was Sean McDonough calling that game. I've heard Orsillo a few times doing Red Sox games...he's not all too bad, just your typical, younger present-day play-by-play announcer (i.e. Joe Buck, Thom Brennaman, Kenny Albert, etc.)...he's just there to be there.

However, so far, I've enjoyed TBS' coverage of the baseball playoffs, everything is just solid. For all of Time Warner's faults in the way they run some of their business, their sports broadcasting divisions, whether it be HBO or Turner, it's always top quality stuff.

it seems they've changed scoreboard for today's game to make the tbs logo more visibile. I can't remember if it was changed for the sox game.

It was not changed for the Sox game. This new format does look better though, IMO.

I think it's kind of sad that any of MLB playoffs are on cable period. I'm asking because I don't know, but does NFL put any playoff games on ESPN or NFL Network? I feel like they have, but I'm not sure.

Even though I don't watch baseball, it would bug me to see the World Series exclusively on pay TV.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think it's kind of sad that any of MLB playoffs are on cable period. I'm asking because I don't know, but does NFL put any playoff games on ESPN or NFL Network? I feel like they have, but I'm not sure.

I think all of the AFC playoffs are on CBS and all the NFC on fox and they rotate the Super Bowl. It is Fox this year I believe.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Even though I don't watch baseball, it would bug me to see the World Series exclusively on pay TV.

No NFL playoff games have ever been on any cable network. ESPN had a few Pro Bowls, but that's about it.

it seems they've changed scoreboard for today's game to make the tbs logo more visibile. I can't remember if it was changed for the sox game.

It was not changed for the Sox game. This new format does look better though, IMO.

On Cubs-Dbacks, it looks as if the half-circle/baseball has been removed from under the "tbs." Still kinda small but easier to ID.

Archived