Original facemask colors

winghaz

When football facemasks first came out, weren't they actually more cream colored than gray?

I ask this because there are some so-called facemask purists who absolutely don't like any other color for facemasks than gray, and I don't understand it. So I'm curious about the beginnings.

When football facemasks first came out, weren't they actually more cream colored than gray?

I ask this because there are some so-called facemask purists who absolutely don't like any other color for facemasks than gray, and I don't understand it. So I'm curious about the beginnings.

I think it may have depended on the maker. If you look at helmethut.com site it looks like it varies from ivory, to tan, to grey to the clear Lucite ones. But to say that XYZ company used only gray and they had the very first mask ever, and that is the only color they MUST BE, is kinda silly. Oh...and there are "facemask purists". WOW! What's next...thigh pad purists? :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I think it may have depended on the maker. If you look at helmethut.com site it looks like it varies from ivory, to tan, to grey to the clear Lucite ones. But to say that XYZ company used only gray and they had the very first mask ever, and that is the only color they MUST BE, is kinda silly. Oh...and there are "facemask purists". WOW! What's next...thigh pad purists? :D

No...sleeve purists. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

what I hate is when teams wear a throwback that existed in the pre-facemask era and they put a gray facemask on the helmet. Like the eagles did this year. If there was no facemask on a helmet originally then the color of the present throwback is up for interpretation.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It did vary by manufacturer and the type of material they used. Riddell used grey plastic once their clear lucite was banned. Schutt originally used some kind of brownish rubber coating, and eventually switched to grey. A lot of the others used that off-white plastic, like Marietta.

Even the greys varied - Schutt had kind of a bluish-grey, while Dunguard was more of a true grey.

Personally I'm not a true "purist"; right now I kind of like the "throwback" look of the grey mask for Cleveland and Indianapolis simply because these team have worn essentially the same uniforms for over 50 years, but I wish that Dallas and Arizona would move to a colored face mask - Arizona because the "old school" mask doesn't fit with the "new school" uniform, and Dallas becuase they can't make up their minds whether they want to wear metallic blue, silver, or white. Of course, Oakland and the Giants use silver/grey as a team color so it works for them.

what I hate is when teams wear a throwback that existed in the pre-facemask era and they put a gray facemask on the helmet. Like the eagles did this year. If there was no facemask on a helmet originally then the color of the present throwback is up for interpretation.

Yes, but couldn't one make the argument that colored facemasks weren't around until the 70's or whenever it was (I'm not sure, but I know they didn't have them in the 60's), that one could make the assumption that they WOULD HAVE been grey had they worn facemasks back in that era? A colored mask would never have been an option for those old helmets...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived