Irish in green Saturday vs. USC

speedo

I always liked their kelly green. One year, I think later than 1977, they wore this green exclusively. Not only that, but the away jerseys were white with green numerals. Green all the way that year. Does anyone know which year that was if it wasn't 1977? (I think it might have been during the Blair Keil era)

LT

apcacunrr_usc_notre_dame_1ac5k-lg.jpg

I much prefer these. The ones they're wearing today remind me of Mizzou's "we like yellow and gold and refuse to pick just one"

I still say that was the best-looking big game of all time.

The throwbacks were actually a case of them needing to throw those back.

At the risk of offending any Golden Domers on here, this season has been very satisfying because of all the :censored:s I know who went to ND. Not saying everyone there is an :censored:, but I knew some monumental pricks that went there.

I always liked their kelly green. One year, I think later than 1977, they wore this green exclusively. Not only that, but the away jerseys were white with green numerals. Green all the way that year. Does anyone know which year that was if it wasn't 1977? (I think it might have been during the Blair Keil era)

LT

If I'm remembering correctly, they wore the green exclusively for a few years starting in 1978 - I don't remember Montana wearing blue homes again, and I'm pretty sure they had green-numbered white jerseys for the "chicken soup" Cotton Bowl game against Houston. They may have worn green primarily for the rest of Dan Devine's coaching tenure with the blue showing up only occasionally.

At the risk of offending any Golden Domers on here, this season has been very satisfying because of all the :censored:s I know who went to ND. Not saying everyone there is an :censored:, but I knew some monumental pricks that went there.

Im curious, when is the last time ND won in the green jerseys?? Its been many, many years, hasnt it??

As someone who is not a ND fan, I love when they break these out, any rendition of them, because they are sure to lose in them.

Go Buckeyes!

Im curious, when is the last time ND won in the green jerseys?? Its been many, many years, hasnt it??

As someone who is not a ND fan, I love when they break these out, any rendition of them, because they are sure to lose in them.

Go Buckeyes!

Actually, they wore them against Army last year...probably to get rid of the curse.

LT

If I'm remembering correctly, they wore the green exclusively for a few years starting in 1978 - I don't remember Montana wearing blue homes again, and I'm pretty sure they had green-numbered white jerseys for the "chicken soup" Cotton Bowl game against Houston. They may have worn green primarily for the rest of Dan Devine's coaching tenure with the blue showing up only occasionally.

The linked site should answer this question and any others. It is a pretty definitive history of Notre Dame football uniforms.

On this point, it says Notre Dame wore green from the 1978 Cotton Bowl until the end of the Dan Devine era (i.e., through 1980). Gerry Faust then returned to blue, but used a lighter royal blue that was apparently the blue originally worn by the Irish, as opposed to typical navy blue.

bluegraysky.blogspot.com

You may need to scroll down to the May 17,2005 entry, titled "Uniformly Excellent."

For the record, I discovered this site while trying to settle a debate with my sister-in-law who swore Notre Dame never wore names on the back of their jerseys. I was right, of course, but I have chosen not to confirm my victory for now, all in the interest of familial harmony. However, I reserve the right to pull it out at a later date if necessary.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived