General Men's College Basketball Clearinghouse 2007-2008

rams80

Well...We are about a week IIRC into our young college basketball season, and Kentucky fans are already experiencing "Buyer's Remorse" over Billy Gillespie, as they currently trail the lame-duck pride of the Atlantic Sun Conference, Gardner-Webb, by 15. :P

EDIT: 84-68 Final, Gardner-Webb wins.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah... they didn't just "beat" Kentucky... they routed 'em, at least that's how the final score makes it seem.

If you're keeping score at home, where does this rank among all the upsets we've seen in college basketball and football so far?

IUe6Hvh.png

Hard to say...the announcers were trying to write this off as simply being "growing pains" under the Gillespie regime, and while Kentucky was Nationally Ranked, it may simply be part of a preseason poll tradition to rank them.

On the flip side, the Atlantic Sun is definitely a minor Division I Conference, and Gardner-Webb wasn't expected to do well this season, or so they said.

It's less shocking and significant than Appy State-Michigan or Stanford-USC, but its still up there.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hard to say...the announcers were trying to write this off as simply being "growing pains" under the Gillespie regime, and while Kentucky was Nationally Ranked, it may simply be part of a preseason poll tradition to rank them.

On the flip side, the Atlantic Sun is definitely a minor Division I Conference, and Gardner-Webb wasn't expected to do well this season, or so they said.

It's less shocking and significant than Appy State-Michigan or Stanford-USC, but its still up there.

It might be less shocking because of ASU-Michigan, Stanford-USC, and whomever beat Michigan State.

I still have USC-Stanford at the top of my list, and I think this is just a notch below ASU-Michigan. ASU-Michigan had to be the most shocking, though. Now, we almost have to kind of expect these things.

IUe6Hvh.png

Major schools better stop scheduling the Atlantic Sun

Mercer beats USC

Today, we are all otaku.

Mercer beats USC

I didn't even know Mercer was D1. :blink:

Well, makes sense to ask since a third of the A-Sun are D-I newbies (Kennesaw State, North Florida, Florida Gulf Coast and South Carolina-Upstate)

Mercer beats USC

I didn't even know Mercer was D1. :blink:

Well, makes sense to ask since a third of the A-Sun are D-I newbies (Kennesaw State, North Florida, Florida Gulf Coast and South Carolina-Upstate)

KSU and UNF moved up last year, and FGC and USC-Upstate moved up this year.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Hold your horses, Drew. Kennesaw State and North Florida moved up two years ago and they have 2 years left on their wait before they become official D-I members.

FGCU and USC-Upstate, as you said, moved up this year and have 4 years left before they reach DI status.

Even better yet, here's a timeline of the remaining schools who are moving up.

2008: North Dakota State and South Dakota State

2009: Kennesaw State, North Florida, NJIT, and Utah Valley State

2010: Central Arkansas, Winston-Salem State and Cal State-Bakersfield

2011: Florida Gulf Coast, South Carolina-Upstate, North Carolina Central and Presbytarian College

2012: Bryant, SIU-Edwardsville, South Dakota, North Dakota and Seattle University

2014: Houston Baptist

2011: Florida Gulf Coast, South Carolina-Upstate, North Carolina Central and Presbytarian College

2012: Bryant, SIU-Edwardsville, South Dakota, North Dakota, Seattle University and South Dakota

Scottie Pippen must be so proud

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

Hold your horses, Drew. Kennesaw State and North Florida moved up two years ago and they have 2 years left on their wait before they become official D-I members.

FGCU and USC-Upstate, as you said, moved up this year and have 4 years left before they reach DI status.

2012: Bryant, SIU-Edwardsville, South Dakota, North Dakota, Seattle University and South Dakota

So how many programs are left in Division II?

Today, we are all otaku.

So how many programs are left in Division II?

There's still about 250 members in Division II. Most of these are D-II schools that are moving up (The exceptions are Utah Valley State, which moving from the Junior College ranks to D-I, and Houston Baptist, which moving from the NAIA to D-I)

That can't be right. SIU-Edwardsville is going D-1?

Yes, that is true. Here's the link that announced the move: SIU-E's move to Division I

So, both Kentucky and USC's losses were real games, right? (As opposed to Michigan St. and Ohio St. who lossed to similarly low tier opponents, but in exhibition games.)

Kentucky and USC's losses were "for real".

Today, we are all otaku.

And UNC survives Davidson 72-68.

Today, we are all otaku.

Bradley nails a BCS pelt to its wall (granted beating Iowa State isn't really new, but its a good way to bounce back after losing to UIC)

Bradley 65

Iowa State 56

EDIT-although the Big XII seems to be having a bad night in general. Sam Houston State beats Texas Tech, and North Texas beats Oklahoma State.

Today, we are all otaku.

I have this feeling we're in for a real wild ride this year with Basketball.

We may see a 16 beat a 1 in the tourney.

Also be ready for the endless Jeff Jordan references when you're team plays Illinois. He was already featured with his dad on the Today Show. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to the next 4 years. Although, it may aid in recruiting if the incoming players know MJ is going to be at a lot of their games.

Archived