What I have been working on this semester...

Mings

For those of you that are wondering why I don't post concepts anymore, here is your answer. Architecture doesn't give me the time to do much else besides architecture. Anyway, one of our assignments was to create a portfolio of all of our projects for the past semester so I got to play the role of graphic designer a bit. With a little help from STL Fanatic in the font department (he helped immensly in selecting the right fonts) I came up with the basic layout and design of my portfolio. I chose a basic black/grey color scheme with an orange that is both powerful yet complementary. The lines are representative of an assemblage that shows blending that has been highly commended by several professors the past couple weeks (not to mention it helped save my ass at my final review).

The portfolio is a 7x6 book with glossy pages on the inside. The double length pages are spreads that will have the binding in the middle.

I would definitely like some C&C as I will be revising this layout slightly for my personal portfolio of all of my work (only a few things from this one will be going into my main one), so on this particular one I won't be making revisions but on my main portfolio I will incorporate C&C.

Cover-

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

The back cover is a reverse of the front cover minus the text. More images are following due to the image limit per post.

Thanks in advance for the C&C and enjoy. Feel free to comment both on the portfolio and the projects contained with in it.

Great design, Josh. Love the color and font choices, and the layout is top notch.

There are only two things that I noticed, and they're really minor.

1. I notice on some of your spreads that some of the vertical orange captions and some of the screen shots don't quite align. Example, on the spread above "Powerpoint Slides" is set lower than "Presentation Board". Intentional?

2. Any reason why there's no initial caps?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Great design, Josh. Love the color and font choices, and the layout is top notch.

1. I notice on some of your spreads that some of the vertical orange captions and some of the screen shots don't quite align. Example, on the spread above "Powerpoint Slides" is set lower than "Presentation Board". Intentional?

1) I did that to follow along with the graphic at the bottom of the page.

2) I did my titles in all caps, so I decided to do all of my subtitles and copy text in all lowercase to make it pop more.

Thanks for the compliments....even though you knocked me out of the playoffs. :)

i wouldnt use lower case throughout the copy. its okay for titles etc but,

it looks less like a design choice and more just plane odd in the body text mate.

the hash simbol (do mac keyboards have them? i cant find the bastard!) seems a little inelegant.

maybe make it half the size?

like the other guy said, the titles should align both to the bottom/ left. they look a bit strange at the mo.

1) I did that to follow along with the graphic at the bottom of the page.

2) I did my titles in all caps, so I decided to do all of my subtitles and copy text in all lowercase to make it pop more.

Thanks for the compliments....even though you knocked me out of the playoffs. :)

1. I see what you mean now. To echo Davidson's sentiments, I'd align them. It looks awkward, and it's too subtle to be really effective. It's the tangents that's gettin' me.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I aligned a few of them that looked the worst, but ones that are near pictures went untouched. It looked a little off not having the title at the bottom right of the pictures.

Fraser- the dash is next to the zero button on a Mac Keyboard. I also took it out. It wasn't really needed. As far as the all lower case body text is it an issue of readability?

I like your type choices and the basic idea of it all, but what gets me is the graphic on the spread. It seems a little invasive to me in a place where you want your work to do the talking. I said the same thing about a resume that you posted a while back. Your work and your accomplishments do the communicating in a portfolio or resume. It's really just the bottom thing that rubs me wrong. I like the wireframe sidebar. The other thing is, while a nice layout, it gets really stale after a few pages. I think you need to go mobile and move your elements around on different pages to garner some sort of motivation to turn the page if you're going to have such powerful, graphic-heavy layouts.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I can definitely see what you mean on the bottom being a bit much, but on the layout part I was always taught that they should be pretty similar throughout the portfolio.

it looks weird becouse, its at a very slight angle. if it were straight or at a greater angle (this is the grid stuff at the bottom im talking about) thenit would seem more intentional than it is right now.

Personally, if the layout is really minimal I'll keep it generally the same throughout a portfolio, but if the layout has a lot of visual power, whether it be through illustration, color or some other element like your wire drawings here, I like to have two or three general layouts to use for the pages. The reason is that if you have a very powerful layout, it smacks you in the face and says, "Look at me!" every time you turn the page, and who wouldn't get bored and angry after being smacked in the face over and over again by the same guy? A subdued layout doesn't demand as much visual attention and thus doesn't necessarily need to display that kind of variety throughout the portfolio. Maybe you could have one with the wireframe drawing and heading on the left like it is now (minus the bottom part), and then one where it's on the right and maybe one where it's horizontal along the top or bottom, or maybe have both. Just an idea.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Update time...

I took your suggestions and applied them to the portfolio I will be sending out to firms so I can get an internship this summer. This one has my best work in it, so feel free to comment on both the portfolio itself and the work contained with in it. Let me know if I went in the right direction. I think I did.

This will be spread over 4 posts due to the image per post limit. Thanks again guys.

portfolio.jpg

portfolio2.jpg

portfolio3.jpg

That's a ton better. It was definitely the bottom graphic that was detracting from it. This looks really nice, even with it being the same layout on all the pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived