Working in Design

heernumurr

im thinking about trying to doing graphic design on a professional level and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

ive done a few freebie websites and logos and have had very positive feedback. im a long way from putting anything into practice in both business and artistic terms, but i had thought about testing the waters with a website and some small ads in the local area and generally trying to set the ball rolling. i am very serious about this, and the idea has been bugging me for so long i've got to the point where im dying to get out there and do something! i know it could be a long and complicated process, so im not expecting careers advice, just any personal experience/help/advice/resources anyone could share would be great!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depending on wha you are looking to do and how seriously you want to take it, you have to have some sort of formal training.

design isnt something most people can just pick up on their own. aside from actual practical know how and production training,

you need to know about layout, typography, colour, print, imagery & photographics and perhaps movement, timing and all that

sort of thing if you want to move into thrid and fourth dimention design and other such media.

im not saying, you should drop what you are doing and start a degree (although, if you are at the age where you are looking to

head in that direction, i would personally recommend it as a career) but you need to know about all these things.

design isnt owning a copy of flash and illustrator.

i totally appreciate your point on owning illustrator etc, so that said, how useful then do you reckon those specific courses in photoshop etc are? have been looking at them in terms of having a more complete understanding of different programs, but havent heard if theyre worth the money or time. im currently in the process of applying for a degree course, but have been out of education for a while and im wondering if there are any other worthwhile paths to look down?

i totally appreciate your point on owning illustrator etc, so that said, how useful then do you reckon those specific courses in photoshop etc are? have been looking at them in terms of having a more complete understanding of different programs, but havent heard if theyre worth the money or time. im currently in the process of applying for a degree course, but have been out of education for a while and im wondering if there are any other worthwhile paths to look down?

if you want a career in design, you need to do a design course really in order to get work with any of the good studios. i know people who havnt, but they tend to struggle with certain conventions and processes that are necessary within the trade.

if you are doing a degree course (and spending all that money on one) i wouldnt bother with a course in photoshop.

i agree, photoshop isn't a necessary course. it's used often for photo correction, but you don't need to spend hours upon hours learning the application to get the hang of that. I find that the three most oft used programs in our field are Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat. Learn the first two especially well, I believe they're at the core of the industry. Fraser is right in saying that without a course, there are certain things you'll be lacking. The often overlooked fact of design is production - you're design may look good, but will it work in the intended environment in which it will be placed? Hopefully they'll teach you the basics of print and web production in those courses, as well as the fundamentals and principals of design.

OD_Signature.jpg

i agree, photoshop isn't a necessary course. it's used often for photo correction, but you don't need to spend hours upon hours learning the application to get the hang of that. I find that the three most oft used programs in our field are Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat. Learn the first two especially well, I believe they're at the core of the industry. Fraser is right in saying that without a course, there are certain things you'll be lacking. The often overlooked fact of design is production - you're design may look good, but will it work in the intended environment in which it will be placed? Hopefully they'll teach you the basics of print and web production in those courses, as well as the fundamentals and principals of design.

Photoshop is very important. It all depends on what you do, but I've used photoshop in every job I've had much more than acrobat and even more than Indesign in some cases. It goes in streaks though. I touched photoshop for the first time in a month today. But there are times I use Illustrator rarely.

I don't even touch Indesign or Acrobat at my current job. I do for freelance but rarely for my dayjob.

Also don't forget the programs like Dreamweaver, Flash, after effects, Maya, etc. Depending on what you do you may need training in these as well.

Personally, I learned more about the design industry in my first 3 and a half months than I did in 3 and a half years of college. I'd always recommend college, because you'll learn so much and the social learning in a college environment can be just as important. Also having a Bachelor's degree in anything would be a good fallback...just in case.

Some of the best designers I've met have no formal training in a classroom setting.

With regards to courses, I am currently in my final year of studying Multimedia Design at the University of Ulster in Belfast. While I feel that I haven't really learnt THAT much from the course that I couldn't have learned by myself I totally agree with what Davidson is saying. While you can get a job working in design based on purely a portfolio most places will be looking for someone with a qualification in the field.

I don't know what the job market is like for design in Scotland, but in Northern Ireland jobs are hard to come by and competition is tight so I would take every step possible to make sure that you are top of the pile by backing up for portfolio with some qualifications.

prospects.png

vets.png

With regards to courses, I am currently in my final year of studying Multimedia Design at the University of Ulster in Belfast.

ive actually looked at that exact course! but i lived in northern ireland for about fourteen years, and left because of the lack of jobs you mentioned (still have the accent though... :D )

to everyone else, thanks for the advice so far! i realise its a pretty complex thing to ask on a forum, but i think everyone just confirmed that university is the best place to learn this stuff. i AM just a guy who owns flash and illustrator at the minute, but i think i have a talent and passion for design and at the very least just want to learn more. so people, you just convinced a guy to go back to uni! maybe i'll keep you posted on whether i get in...

Personally, I learned more about the design industry in my first 3 and a half months than I did in 3 and a half years of college. I'd always recommend college, because you'll learn so much and the social learning in a college environment can be just as important. Also having a Bachelor's degree in anything would be a good fallback...just in case.

Some of the best designers I've met have no formal training in a classroom setting.

To be honest, I only learned the basics of the programs in classrooms. My style and overall skill is attributed to the people on this site who lent a hand when I needed help on anything.

Alright guys I have a similar question. I'm a sophmore in high school, but my dream job is to become a graphic designer. I sometimes do little logos and sometimes uniforms, but haven't taken a class and taught myself how to do stuff. I'm taking my school's Computer Graphics course in the spring, so that'll be the first time I've done something like that. I use Inkscape (free) and have never even touched indesign or any of those website making tools, which I probably should learn, right?

I'm already starting to look at possible colleges. I live in western NY state, and honestly I don't want to go to a college just meant for designing and illustrations. I'd rather go to a bigger school, like a Syracuse, Michigan, etc. Is that good for graphic design majors or if I'm really serious about being one, should I just go to a school meant for that? Thank you for your help.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I've got to say, its all what you make it.

A pure design school may get you more class choices in graphic design, and that's great. At times I wish I would have a better background in design history and typography and other things.

But I did not go to a good GD school. I went to a small liberal arts school because I wanted to play football and I wanted a fall back, just in case.

I worked my butt off in my own time and was able to get a good job out of school. 3 years later, and a couple of moves later, I've got my dream job working with graphic design and sports every day.

Its always what you make it. I've seen awful designers that went to Milwaukee school of art and design or the Art academy of Chicago and I've seen great designers that went to schools like Syracuse or Illinois, and some that didn't go to college at all. You'll find even amongst the designers on this board that many consider to be great designers have a very diverse set of backgrounds.

Wherever you go, be it a pure design school or a public university, you will have great designers and hacks amongst your classmates.

Whatever you do, if you are unsure of a design career be it because you're not sure about your skills or your desire, go to a school that has other options. And make sure you work your butt off. College should be fun, but you also are there for a reason.

I think Pat and I are in somewhat of the same boat - I didn't go to school for design either, and everything I've learned has been through hard work and experience. I too worked my butt off in school, doing internships and doing graphic design jobs for organizations at the University, which is a great way to get work and experience while in school. I only graduated in June (a full year early I might add) and don't have a full-time design job yet, but I am doing a good amount of freelance work with a design company, which may end up leading to a job at some point, it might not.

OD_Signature.jpg

Alright guys I have a similar question. I'm a sophmore in high school, but my dream job is to become a graphic designer. I sometimes do little logos and sometimes uniforms, but haven't taken a class and taught myself how to do stuff. I'm taking my school's Computer Graphics course in the spring, so that'll be the first time I've done something like that. I use Inkscape (free) and have never even touched indesign or any of those website making tools, which I probably should learn, right?

I'm already starting to look at possible colleges. I live in western NY state, and honestly I don't want to go to a college just meant for designing and illustrations. I'd rather go to a bigger school, like a Syracuse, Michigan, etc. Is that good for graphic design majors or if I'm really serious about being one, should I just go to a school meant for that? Thank you for your help.

Yeah, just do as much as you can in High School, realizing that you will learn everything useful in college, not high school, at least not my high school. I would include smaller schools in your search too, as they tend to give better financial aid packages, and offer more one-on-one help, which is really useful, especially in this field. I went to Alfred University, in Alfred, NY, probably somewhere around where you are. I found that I could come in early, or stay after class and get as much help as I wanted from my teachers. Again, do as much as you can now and stay with it throughout school. I'm not considered successful yet, so take my advice while understanding that, but just stay focused.

With going to college its all about doing the research. There are so big universities that have great graphic design programs and some that do not. Its matter of finding a spot you like, get accepted at and can afford. Cost is a big factor so keep that in mind.

the course i did in the uk was pretty good for old school print design principles and such but when it came to new media they were pretty terrible and the tutors were ignorant of that whole side of the industry. it really depends what you want to do.

i really struggled on my course until i found animation, so i would suggest that you do your best to have an idea of the sort of design you want to get into before you choose. different places have different emphases.

at the risk of this turning into full blown careers advice, if anyone could take a look at this i'd appreciate it. its a 3 year full time graphic design course. thing is as soon as i start to read the text my brain freezes, its your typical university prospectus stuff that says alot without saying anything that specific. gonna give the guys a ring on monday to try and find out something more specific, but until then anyone got any thoughts on what this course might entail, and how it compares to anything people here on the board have done/are doing?

BA (Hons) - Graphic Design

As far as being the right age to go to school to be a graphic designer, there is no right age. I started back in school two years ago at 34 and will finish in July. You need a formal degree and the highest you can get. Here in the States, you don't get a look with an Associates of Arts Degree (AA) which is a two year degree. With a Bachelor's (4 years) it'll get you in the door. What you really need is a Masters or a Master of Fine Arts to set you apart and that's another year or two. I can tell you from experience there is no room for those who don't have a higher education especially in graphic design. I know y'all can say that you know such and such and he's been doing for 20 years or so and he never went past high school. Good for him, he's a dying breed. Any big time company it's mandatory to have 3-4 years experience or a bachelor's degree. If you don't have either, HR throws your resume into the can. It's why I went back to school. Do you learn all the nuances of the programs? No, and you'll never know all them. You learn to use what you need to design. Each program is like the ocean and what you learn in class is just putting your toe into the ocean and that's all that an instructor has to teach you for that class. I looked around at many colleges and came across Westwood College that is centered in Denver but has I think like 21 campuses around the United States. I go to the one in Anaheim right across the street from the Ponda Center where the Ducks play and Anaheim Stadium. What I was looking for was a school where I could get in and get out and get the knowledge in the latest programs possible, and be taught by what I needed to know by excellent teachers. That's pretty much what I'm getting. For me it's an accelerated program which means I'm getting 4 years into 3, but I got transfer credits so it's less. Graphic Design is looking at things differently. Yes, you can know the programs up the wazzu, but you better know what looks good also which is design. Graphic design is communicating with people through images and words. You need to feel good about the program you'll attend. Talk to students who are in the program you'll be looking into and the teachers. Find out what's good and bad about the school, they all have them. Find out if they have a job placement program (Westwood does), find out what awards they've won, and how important these awards are. Ask if they have the latest programs and what these teachers have done professionally. It's great to have a teacher that knows photoshop or indesign, but have they been in the real world? Does the teacher know what a bleed is and what images are best for print and what are best for web? Has the teacher been to a printer and know the difference between off set printing and web printing? Do you get to go on field trips that are important in your learning? You need to find a school that will put you ahead of the game. If you think you've got it, then investigate schools and make that leap of faith. I will say this, you better want it. It pisses me off to watch talented people who just don't care. If you want it, go for it and be the best damn graphic designer you can be. Make graphic design be your NHL, NFL, or Premier League. Have the passion and work ethic of those players that you admire, and make it your goal to get there and be the best and you may not be the best, but you can always learn and have one hell of a work ethic.

Yeah, just do as much as you can in High School, realizing that you will learn everything useful in college, not high school, at least not my high school. I would include smaller schools in your search too, as they tend to give better financial aid packages, and offer more one-on-one help, which is really useful, especially in this field. I went to Alfred University, in Alfred, NY, probably somewhere around where you are. I found that I could come in early, or stay after class and get as much help as I wanted from my teachers. Again, do as much as you can now and stay with it throughout school. I'm not considered successful yet, so take my advice while understanding that, but just stay focused.

Yep, know that school. One of my friends is a freshman at Alfred.

Thanks for all the help everyone, helps me a lot. If it's not too much to ask, do any of you know of some public universities that have good design programs? Cost isn't really an issue, my parents have lots of it.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

as an admissions director at a small liberal arts university, i would recommend a couple of things - examine your portfolio...you won't sniff a specialized design school without an IMPRESSIVE portfolio coming in (i can tell you from experience, having been denied admission to the nc state university college of design despite having been admitted to the university and being a park scholarship candidate) - the most competetive programs offer a bachelor of graphic design degree, but you don't necessarily have to graduate from one of these programs to find work if you're talented and you get the most from your talent - if you're going to attend a less competetive program, look for a program with a BFA degree vs. a BA...you'll get more studio work in a BFA program and it's the preferred degree vs. a BA (AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) and NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design) both promote the Bachelor of Fine Arts as the preferred degree for students who want to enter professional arts fields.)

you'll probably find that there are a number of schools that meet these requirements and then choosing a school really comes down to the little things and the "feel" that you get for a school - smaller schools can often give you great opportunities outside of the classroom, and can also afford you the opportunity to interact with faculty, but they aren't for everyone and it's important that you visit the schools, meet the faculty and talk to them about their design philosophy and specialties (maybe even examine THEIR portfolio), see the facilities and generally "kick the tires" on that campus

lastly, and i'd like the input from those who work professionally in design here, i think it's important that you find a program that really places a high degree of importance on typography - on these sites we see a lot of really good images, but the ones that really pop and look professional (unlike mine :)) are the ones with special attention paid to type - it also seems to me that 75% (or more) of general design is centered around typography...in my non-professional opinion, type is the single most important element of most good design...thoughts?

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived