Dropping The 'Los' From 'Los Mets'

njmeadowlanders

So yesterday I had tickets to go see a taping of Conan, so I made a day out of it in NYC before I go back to school next week. I took the PATH in from Jersey and rather than take the subway up to Rockefeller Plaza, it was too nice a day (thanks Global Warming) not to walk. So I did that, and naturally made a stop by at the Mets clubhouse shop in the Manhattan Mall upstairs from the station.

They had a bunch of stuff 50% off and whatnot, IDK if they're moving or closing it or just wanted to get rid of the merchandise or whatnot, but they had mega-discounts on some jerseys...

All of their "Los Mets" Jose Reyes authentics were marked down from $250 to $25 (Not a typo...Twenty-Five). I figured, I can't pass this up, took it with me through NYC and back home, and went to town removing the "Los" from the "Los Mets" uniform so now from a distance it looks like the regular snow-white Mets jersey.

Only problem is (and I knew going in that this was going to happen, so it's not like I'm surprised by it or anything), theres still "Ghosting" from the "LOS" when you get up close. Here's a couple of photos I snagged of it...

P1010350.jpg

P1010353.jpg

For $25 I couldn't pass it up and do it, but this begs the question--any suggestions on how to clean the "residue" and would ironing help some of the thread holes go away? Or are there any tips from those of you that've tried something like it before, etc?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Now can you just throw an authentic into the wash and it will be ok?

Detergent/no detergent?

Hot or cold water?

Obviously I wouldn't ever put it in the dryer though...

It would be fine to wash that cold, but definately air dry. It'll seemingly last forever.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Thanks for the tips...its my first authentic, so I didn't know what to do/what not to do to it. I guess I'll run it through a cold cycle a couple of times and see what happens. Before I do that though, is there something I should pre-treat that area with since there appears to be something like "dirt" where the outline was--especially the lower outline...It looks kind of like what the area on your skin would look like around the edge of a band-aid you had on for a few days..

How about some white acrylic paint....and while your at it you can get rid of the useless black trim from around the wordmark.

^_^

Don't think I didn't ponder how great it would be if I could remove the black without ruining it...

HA!

I still think its worth it....its ALREADY ruined. :P

Thanks for the tips...its my first authentic, so I didn't know what to do/what not to do to it. I guess I'll run it through a cold cycle a couple of times and see what happens. Before I do that though, is there something I should pre-treat that area with since there appears to be something like "dirt" where the outline was--especially the lower outline...It looks kind of like what the area on your skin would look like around the edge of a band-aid you had on for a few days..

I don't think it would hurt to put some Spray and Wash there since it's a baseball jersey. But be very careful. And machine wash in cold water and no dryer.

anti.png

Spray and wash is certainly fine, and when we are removing letters and numbers from a jersey, So Fla is right, we use an acetone type of chemical. Something I've heard a few of my customers recommend (for stains, not sure about adhesive) is a product called "ZOUT". It was formulated for spot cleaning medical scrubs, so you may want to give that a shot too. Just keep in mind that while these Authentics are treasures to people like us, they are really made to withstand abuse and staining like we'll never be able to give it.

Spray and wash is certainly fine, and when we are removing letters and numbers from a jersey, So Fla is right, we use an acetone type of chemical. Something I've heard a few of my customers recommend (for stains, not sure about adhesive) is a product called "ZOUT". It was formulated for spot cleaning medical scrubs, so you may want to give that a shot too. Just keep in mind that while these Authentics are treasures to people like us, they are really made to withstand abuse and staining like we'll never be able to give it.

Care to re-think that?

del_homme_Ripped_Pants.jpg

I know it's football, but still..

I'm heading back to NYC this weekend and might picked that up? Two questions though...1.Where did take out the Los out? 2. Was the jersey only in White?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Good point GBM- but when you factor in different fabrics and some companies manufacturing techniques (dazzle nylon football pants, RBK Edge) you're really dealing with apple and orange comparisons. I was really speaking of the doubleknit baseball authentics- I should have been clearer.

I'm heading back to NYC this weekend and might picked that up? Two questions though...1.Where did take out the Los out? 2. Was the jersey only in White?

I'm assuming in #1 you meant where did I have the "Los" taken out?

If that's the case, I did it myself with a seam-ripper, I didn't take it to anyone or anywhere...if you don't have one you can probably find it at a local drug store or Target or Wal-Mart or wherever you can find sewing materials I guess...there are also probably other tools that can do the trick that I don't know of.

Also, be careful--there are a lot of stiches--don't rush it and be patient, otherwise you may rip some of the fabric...

For #2, yes, they were only in white, though they DID have LoDuca jerseys in Pinstipes...also for 25...I probably should've gotten that too :P .

...and it was the Mets Clubhouse shop in the Manhattan Mall (above the 33rd Street PATH and Subway station)...

Yeah I'd say once it's washed and ironed a couple times, that should be all but gone.

I used to have a Rangers A-Rod alternate jersey, and I took off the nameplate and number and now you can't even tell up close it was ever lettered.

Was that white, too? A store near Wrigley always changes ex-player jerseys into Hall of Famers and puts them on deep discount. There's a road Juan Pierre that's been changed to Ryne Sandberg selling for $60, but it's got all of that residue on it. (Might be the only way I'd buy a current road, though.)

Does it eventually wash away to the point of being unnoticeable on gray, pinstriped and color jerseys, too? Or just white?

And be careful with some products. I used a Tide stain stick to get out a chocolate stain on a white Majestic authentic and the material has a slight fray to it now. The old Russell jerseys definitely seemed more able to take wear and tear.

And to be honest, this is tempting anyway because it's not like from a distance anyone can see it.

Archived