Oakland Raiders Ribbed Twill Questions

mr71

Got some questions about this (primarily the white jersey). How long has they been using the ribbed twill? I was looking in my inventory and saw my Jerry Rice jersey that I had done with EPS before the NFL ban. I noticed that the black twill was the regular twill. Today, I went to a sports store in Atlantic City and saw an old Gannon jersey and it had ribbed twill.

Also, when ordering a customized jersey from Eastbay/Foot Locker/Champs or the Stahl's affiliated stores, do they come with the ribbed twill.

I had this jersey done when the board first started. I wish I was knowledgeble about the ribbed twill then

I don't know the answer, but a friend of mine (a Raiders fan who is buddies with their equipment managers) told me that the Raiders' official on-field uniforms have been produced by the same Mom-and-Pop firm for decades.

They just slap the Reebok logos on there for esthetic purposes.

Sounds crazy, but this IS Al Davis we're talking about...

Yeah Ripon (once known as Sand-Knit) makes the jerseys for 20 of the 32 NFL teams, with ACO responsible for the other 12. It's up to the teams, but those are the two currently contracted by Reebok to produce on-field uniforms.

In past years, other companies including Russell, Powers, Wilson and Sports Belle (just off the top of my head), have all manufactured NFL jerseys, some under their own name, some with Nike, Starter, Puma, Reebok or adidas logos sewn on instead. One of the better ironies was when all the Wilson teams started wearing LogoAtheltic-branded uniforms, but they were still made in the Wilson factory outside of Nashville, TN.

Yeah Ripon (once known as Sand-Knit) makes the jerseys for 20 of the 32 NFL teams, with ACO responsible for the other 12. It's up to the teams, but those are the two currently contracted by Reebok to produce on-field uniforms.

In past years, other companies including Russell, Powers, Wilson and Sports Belle (just off the top of my head), have all manufactured NFL jerseys, some under their own name, some with Nike, Starter, Puma, Reebok or adidas logos sewn on instead. One of the better ironies was when all the Wilson teams started wearing LogoAtheltic-branded uniforms, but they were still made in the Wilson factory outside of Nashville, TN.

Actually, Wilson is now making NFL uniforms for several teams, including the Falcons and Cardinals. I want to say that they make the Vikings' uniforms, but I'm not certain that they do.

Any pictures of what exactly ribbed twill is? I have little knowledge of this and would love to see a picture of what is being discussed.

Ribbed twill looks like alot of ridges or horizontal lines on the number. The teams that use it are the Lions, Raiders, and Panthers. Mets use something on their authentics called "glacier twill" I don't know how to describe it but the Pittsburgh Penguins use it too.

The Islanders used glacier twill during the "Fisherman" era, but I don't know if they still do. It's a continuous zig-zag pattern through the twill, which also has a fair bit of texture to it. Half of the zig-zags seem almost reflective. It's a more expensive material, but a nice touch, IMO.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Any pictures of what exactly ribbed twill is? I have little knowledge of this and would love to see a picture of what is being discussed.

Ribbed twill looks like alot of ridges or horizontal lines on the number. The teams that use it are the Lions, Raiders, and Panthers. Mets use something on their authentics called "glacier twill" I don't know how to describe it but the Pittsburgh Penguins use it too.

Here's a pretty good look at it:

a73ae5eeaaaa0aeb33649102bb1d729e-getty-78802320db016_new_york_mets.jpg

Personally, I don't like it. Looks goofy to me.

A little off topic, but do the Penguins still use the glacier twill? I cant tell on the new Edge jerseys.

SEAsig.png

Archived