Want an example of blatant mismanagement of a franchise?

TFoA

Wait...As an Atlantan I must ask...

...when did we get an NBA team? Wha?

nah they are on permanent loan until further notice from the ABA. Kindly putting it, ABA don't want them so the are the NBA's problem. NBA tried to send them back for the Flint Tropics but the ABA said no.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

You guys got the Hawks when they moved out of St. Louis in 1968. The Hawks were actually a good team in St. Louis. But they played in the old Kiel Auditorium. They ended up moving out due to the arena situation and a market to themselves.

Another example of mismanagement......

The New York Mets before Doubleday and Wilpon bought the team.

Before 1980, the Mets traded Tom Seaver to the Reds for several players and Dave Kingman to the Padres. In addition, they had a player-manager in Joe Torre who would barely do good as a National League Manager.

Before 1980, the Mets traded Tom Seaver to the Reds for several players and Dave Kingman to the Padres. In addition, they had a player-manager in Joe Torre who would barely do good as a National League Manager.

Didn't Joe Torre win the division with the Braves one season after being manager of the Mets?

Didn't Joe Torre win the division with the Braves one season after being manager of the Mets?

Yup. I know I've seen it somewhere, but Torre definitely won a division when he was a manager here.

What about the Bengals and Mike Brown?

With Paul Brown at the helm, they were perennial playoff contenders, but with good ol' Mikey, they were the laughingstock of the league until they got out of their 'Let's only hire coaches and personnel people that we already have on the payroll' method and hired Marvin Lewis. Now, if Marvin could only convince Mike to spend money on some players not named Carson Palmer...

Sigs are for sissies.

Whalers win. Not only was it every ownership group, but even two governors were corrupt, which lead to them being moved to NASCAW COUNTRIE!

They would have never won that Cup in Hartford.

What's next, a "hee haw state" line?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My beloved Clippers can take the cake here...the Atlanta Spirit ownership group has been around for nearly five years, and while they seemed to do a good job (for now) with the Thrashers, they have run the Hawks further into the ground.

The Clips have had the same owner for 26 years now, and while he deserves plently of the blame of the embarassing fultilty, he's not alone. He has a kiss-ass who was just named team president, whose main responsibility to make sure they save money. Also, this owner also has one of the greatest basketball players of all-time as his GM and VP of basketball operations, and who makes Isiah Thomas look compenent. Add this in with an average-at-best head coach who's been known to micro-manage and choke away big leads, it's one big clusterf***.

Does no one remember the Brewers from 1993 'til the end of the Selig tyranny?

And it may be hard to believe now, but the Packers were the poster children for mismanagement in the 1970's and 80's. Too many boneheaded roster moves to count, but Hadl, John and Mandarich, Tony are good places to start. See also: Barry Sanders, Joe Montana and Derrick Thomas for a list of players the Packers almost/could've/should've drafted.

You guys got the Hawks when they moved out of St. Louis in 1968. The Hawks were actually a good team in St. Louis. But they played in the old Kiel Auditorium. They ended up moving out due to the arena situation and a market to themselves.

Ironically, the Hawks spent 4 years in Milwaukee before bolting to St. Louis because they couldn't compete with the Braves... we all know how that ended up.

WTF!

So yeah, in another chapter of the "Reign of Error" that belongs to the Atlanta Spirit, supposedly Atlanta Hawks GM Billy Knight tried on not 1, not 2, but 3 separate occasions to fire, quite frankly, the most incompetent head coach in the NBA right now, Mike Woodson.

HOWEVUH, the ownership for some reason decided not to fire the man. No reason was put out yet, but I'm willing to guess that it's because they're still feuding amongst themselves and they don't want to do anything that might hurt/help the value of the franchise before there is a legit owner in place. In the meantime, people in Atlanta over the past year have finally realized that Billy Knight is actually a competent GM, and that he is basically handcuffed by owners and a coach that can use the owners to override whatever he does.

This is just STUPID. If you want to write a book on how NOT to run a franchise, then this should be who you should research. This is really maddening...

Billy Knight and competency should never be uttered in the same sentence. This is the genius that should forever be branded as the one who passed up on Chris Paul when point guard has been a glaring hole on the roster ever since Doc Rivers left town. Now, if that was his only blemish, forgivable. But counter that with the rest of his wholly middling personnel moves and draft picks (Josh Childress, really? Shelden Williams? You idiot. Hey, let's sign Lorenzen Wright and Speedy Claxton! Yeah!), he's not fit to usher Philips Arena let alone run the franchise. Thank god ownership is in a perpetual state of flux, or else he'd have been out on his incompetent ass years ago.

And let's not forget that Knight's the one who brought Woodson in, so he should definitely share some of the blame there.

Frankly, Atlanta Spirit should jettison the lot of 'em.

Whalers win. Not only was it every ownership group, but even two governors were corrupt, which lead to them being moved to NASCAW COUNTRIE!

Nope. And the RBC Center shows more support for the team than I ever remember at the old Hartford Civic. Hindsight is always tinted rose, but that market was a joke for a premier professional league. Not sad in the least that they packed up and moved south.

Nope. And the RBC Center shows more support for the team than I ever remember at the old Hartford Civic. Hindsight is always tinted rose, but that market was a joke for a premier professional league. Not sad in the least that they packed up and moved south.

But did North Carolina really deserve a team more than Wisconsin, Ohio and (especially) Minnesota? Or even Portland or Seattle for that matter? I know Ohio and Minnesota eventually got teams, but it really makes no sense to move to a market where the team is gonna be stigmatized for playing a "yankee game." It's not even like Raleigh is full of transplanted northerners who wold come to see the team from "back home."

I'm not trying to make a "no hockey beneath the arctic circle" argument, but North Carolina wouldn't have a team had the NHL not been so overzealous with its expansion to the south.

But did North Carolina really deserve a team more than Wisconsin, Ohio and (especially) Minnesota? Or even Portland or Seattle for that matter? I know Ohio and Minnesota eventually got teams, but it really makes no sense to move to a market where the team is gonna be stigmatized for playing a "yankee game." It's not even like Raleigh is full of transplanted northerners who wold come to see the team from "back home."

I'm not trying to make a "no hockey beneath the arctic circle" argument, but North Carolina wouldn't have a team had the NHL not been so overzealous with its expansion to the south.

Well Ohio and Minnesota didn't eventually get teams they were rewarded teams at about the same time (or just a few months after) the Whalers announced their move. There wait to ice a team was due to buildings being under construction. I believe Raleigh was a candidate for expansion and withdrew because they got the Whalers. As for Wisconsin I think it is a stretch to say Milwaukee would be able to support 3 major sport franchises especially two that run at the same time. It's not the biggest of markets. As for Seattle and Portland the league would probably be in there already if not for roadblocks. Seattle does not have an arena that is capable of holding an NHL size rink without having obstructed view seats and severely reducing arena capacity to close to 10,000. As for Portland it is widely known Paul Allen who did and once again controls the Rose Garden will not allow an NHL team to move in as it would be competition for the Trailblazers.

As for Wisconsin I think it is a stretch to say Milwaukee would be able to support 3 major sport franchises especially two that run at the same time. It's not the biggest of markets.

An NHL team would actually be the 4th major sport franchise supported by Milwaukee.

Anyway, I would go as far as to say that an NHL team that went toe-to-toe with the Bucks could take 'em since the Bradley Center is a MUCH better venue for hockey than hoops (it was actually built for the Blackhawks until the NHL vetoed the sale to the Pettits) and the Bucks are owned by someone who doesn't give a damn about them (beyond being able to say he "saved" the Bucks from leaving Wisconsin when he's up for re-election).

Archived