More CSU Vikings Logos Found

Burning River

I know there was a thread about this already. I decided to make a new topic becasue this is more to do with the other logos, not the report that a new logo was coming. I was able to find an alt and a few "Vikings" word marks. I like the "V Logo" and full head. I also like the "Motion" Vikings word mark. There is a logo out there that is a diagonal "CSU" with the full viking head. Plus there is a logo that reads "CSU VIKINGS" with the full Viking head between the U and the V.

Hopefully this gives them some karma tonight!! Maybe we'll be seeing these logos in action during the NCAA Tourney!!

Here's the "Peering Viking" that has been shown:

NewPeer2.jpg

Here are some other marks:

VikeHead.jpg

MotionVikes.jpg

Vikes.jpg

The full Viking head superimposed over the "V" is a far better logo than the "peering Viking". They should make more use of that.

In my honest opinion, the little "ball-guy" logo was too cute for its own good. It didn't befit a college athletic program with major aspirations in any of its sports.

The full Viking head superimposed over the "V" is a far better logo than the "peering Viking". They should make more use of that.

In my honest opinion, the little "ball-guy" logo was too cute for its own good. It didn't befit a college athletic program with major aspirations in any of its sports.

I understand ball-guy may have been too cute, but let's be frank, Cleveland State has no hope for the big time. And these template-esque logos won't help any push for more national exposure. In fact, the only reason I knew about Cleve State was their cute little logo (and the fact that their former basketball coach in the 80s was a crack smoker). That's it.

Slightly O/T... does anyone know how Cleveland State became the Vikings? As far as I know, Cleveland's never had that large of a nordic population. Was it the ethnic background of one of the founders or something?

School Vote:

During its 36-year run as Fenn College, the school's athletic teams were known as the Foxes. No one has ever uncovered a reason for the nickname other than alliteration. Somehow the moniker "Foxes" went nicely with Fenn.

However, the Cleveland State Foxes didn't have quite the same ring, so when they city's new state university was born in 1965, it was decided to hold a vote of the student body to select a new nickname.

A panel of judges pared down a long list of selections to three finalists - Lakers (Eriemen was a near miss), Foresters and Vikings.

Vikings was an overwhelming winner, some hinted darkly because a large contingent of students, who had spent their pre-college days at Cleveland St. Joseph High, stuffed the ballot boxes. St. Joseph teams were, of course, known as the Vikings.

No matter, the nickname has remained.

The Viking mascots, Hagar and Helga, were adopted from the popular comic strip "Hagar the Horrible" in 1981 through the generous permission of his creator, the late Dik Browne. They have become the Vikes' highly popular on-court symbol.

From CSU website

So they have an identity that makes no sense (over two that would've made PERFECT sense) because some private school brats had to have their way...

Meh...

Their parents are signing the checks. And the students are buying the crap, so that's how it goes.

But is the school that small that one high school can fix the whole thing? Or is the high school that big? :wacko:

So they have an identity that makes no sense (over two that would've made PERFECT sense) because some private school brats had to have their way...

Meh...

How many Tigers do you see in America? How many Trojans or Spartans do you see? I have yet to see a devil in real life, much less a blue one. Were knights common in New Jersey or Orlando? Can an orange grow in upstate New York? Are Hurricanes common in landlocked Oklahoma? Well, you get the idea.

Most (if not all) of the nicks you mentioned are rooted in the late 19th/early 20th century and were casual names that happened to catch on. But if you're making a conscious effort to establish your identity, why shouldn't you choose something of relevance?

Names are just names. No one says they have to make local sense. Still going on in the pros today. Besides, it isn't like it is the New Mexico State Vikings. Atleast it gets cold there. Remember the Browns/Bills game this year?

Names are just names. No one says they have to make local sense. Still going on in the pros today. Besides, it isn't like it is the New Mexico State Vikings. Atleast it gets cold there. Remember the Browns/Bills game this year?

You mean the New Mexico State AGGIES... who inherited the nick from when they were New Mexico A&M?

And I'm not sure what you mean by the Browns and Bills...

You mean the New Mexico State AGGIES... who inherited the nick from when they were New Mexico A&M?

And I'm not sure what you mean by the Browns and Bills...

Wow dude....just wow

Of course I know they are the aggies. I was using New Mexico State Vikings as a fictional example of where vikings would make absolutley no sense at all because of the WARM dry desert like climate. Come on, man, think a little.

As for the Browns and Bills statement.

Snow Days!

This pick is from the game last year, after the weather calmed.

I don't mind it actually.

Well, the one where you can see the whole face.

The peering over the wordmark version looks like they're hiding a something.

The whgole face version is quite good really, but no better or worse than Davidson's Crusader/King/Viking logo, and perhaps a little behind the Canberra Raiders logo from the Aussie Rugby League.

raiders.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Can an orange grow in upstate New York?

From SUAthletics.com

The Syracuse Orange

In June 1872, Syracuse adopted rose pink and pea green as the official colors of the University and its athletic teams. The colors were changed the next year to rose tint and azure, later becoming pink and blue.

After a football field meet at nearby Hamilton College in 1889 which Syracuse won, derisive comments about the victors? colors led the SU student body to the conclusion that yet another change should be made.

A committee made up of students and faculty members discovered that orange had not been adopted by any college or university as a single color. In 1890 the Alumni Association rendered a unanimous decision and orange has been the sole official color of Syracuse University since that year.

Men?s varsity teams soon became known as the Orange or Orangemen. When women began competing in varsity sports in 1971, they selected the nickname Orangewomen. In 2004, the University made the decision to have all teams, men and women, referred to as the Syracuse Orange, to reflect the original nickname of SU's teams.

Its all about color, not the fruit.

Can an orange grow in upstate New York?

From SUAthletics.com

The Syracuse Orange

In June 1872, Syracuse adopted rose pink and pea green as the official colors of the University and its athletic teams. The colors were changed the next year to rose tint and azure, later becoming pink and blue.

After a football field meet at nearby Hamilton College in 1889 which Syracuse won, derisive comments about the victors? colors led the SU student body to the conclusion that yet another change should be made.

A committee made up of students and faculty members discovered that orange had not been adopted by any college or university as a single color. In 1890 the Alumni Association rendered a unanimous decision and orange has been the sole official color of Syracuse University since that year.

Men?s varsity teams soon became known as the Orange or Orangemen. When women began competing in varsity sports in 1971, they selected the nickname Orangewomen. In 2004, the University made the decision to have all teams, men and women, referred to as the Syracuse Orange, to reflect the original nickname of SU's teams.

Its all about color, not the fruit.

Yeah, that is why they are called the Orange and not the Oranges. However, I love thinking of this guy when I hear Syracuse.

His name is Otto, he loves to get blotto.

As to"WHY?" they are the Vikings, does it really matter? These arguments could be (and have been) argued to no end. To me, it's not the issue here.

I think they did a nice job with the over all identity package. The "Full head logo" and the V really has potential. Their biggest mistake is using the "Peering Viking" as the main logo. If the logo package included the peering viking as an alternate... it might be OK. They should have went a different route. It seems they simpy released the "Peering Viking" as the only new logo. There is nothing around Cleveland that shows anything else. Like I said, I found thes on the merchandise page of CSU's Athletic Dept. Nice Upgrade... very bad presentation to the public.

Archived