MLB Scheduling

leopard88

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. In any event, has anyone heard (or can anyone offer) a reasonable explanation as to why the Nationals played a single game at home against the Braves on Sunday night, then opened a series on the road against the Phillies yesterday? That makes no sense at all to me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The only explanation I can think of is that the gNats wanted to open their stadium on opening day.

Of course they did. However, that could have been accomplished by scheduling a series against the Braves. The series just would have started on Sunday night. I don't remember MLB doing with this with prior Sunday Night openers (though I am open to correction if I'm wrong).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I have no idea how far in advance the schedules are made, but it could be very possible that the Nationals were originally scheduled to open the series yesterday in Philly and not the day before in Washington. When it looked like Nationals Park would be ready for the beginning of the season they simply moved one home game to the beginning of the season, thus the one-game series. It's not a great explanation, but it's the best I can come up with.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I have no idea how far in advance the schedules are made, but it could be very possible that the Nationals were originally scheduled to open the series yesterday in Philly and not the day before in Washington. When it looked like Nationals Park would be ready for the beginning of the season they simply moved one home game to the beginning of the season, thus the one-game series. It's not a great explanation, but it's the best I can come up with.

This is partially correct. The Braves season was supposed to start at home with the Pirates. But since ESPN has broadcasting rights for Sunday night games, they were able to work out a deal with MLB and the two competing teams so this game could happen on prime time television. If I heard right, MLB paid for the Braves' flights to and from Washington, as well as the lodging and per diem, so they would do this one day trip.

Now, the Braves make three seperate trips to Washington before the month of May.....

This is partially correct. The Braves season was supposed to start at home with the Pirates. But since ESPN has broadcasting rights for Sunday night games, they were able to work out a deal with MLB and the two competing teams so this game could happen on prime time television. If I heard right, MLB paid for the Braves' flights to and from Washington, as well as the lodging and per diem, so they would do this one day trip.

Now, the Braves make three seperate trips to Washington before the month of May.....

I thought I was on drugs Monday when I saw the Nats play the Phils. I was like wait didn't they play the Braves last night?

Anyway...I think this is a slippery slope. When the TV can start to really screw with the schedules. I mean come on ONE GAME? Now I know that messing with the schedules is like playing with dominoes one move and many are effected. The schedule should have been set up with a series VS the Braves and if the Nat's Park would have been ready they would have played in DC and if the construction was delayed then in ATL.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Why didn't they just have our pride and joy, the Pirates, get moved up and get nation-wide coverage? Oh, that's right. They wanted people to watch the game ;)

KISSwall09.jpg

You know what's even stranger? The fact that the Nationals and Phillies have a day off in the middle of their 3-game set. Seemed like it would make a little more sense if there was a "travel day" for the Nats to get to Philly and play 3 games in 3 days.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Most teams have an off day between their home opener and second game. This has been the case for years. It is because they need to do something with the 40k people who paid for opening day. Assuming that the season isn't sold out, it still wouldn't be right to make someone who paid a ton of dough for opening day to have no choice but to go see the Marlins or some other worthless team (assuming your team isn't opening against the Marlins. If so, replace Marlins with the Pirates.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I heard the Mets were offered a chance to play in the game but did not want a 1 game series

And this wasn't the first time the Braves were the visitors in a one-game, season-opening "series" (should be called a "ser"....). The Braves played a one-game ser in Cincinnati back in 2001 I believe, and did it a few times in Cincinnati back in the 50's...

Archived