Who's the Best?: Catcher

footballfiji

So in order to get a lively debate going I thought we should a little "Around the Horn" Style debate. To determine who the best current players are. Think of them like the CCSLC All Stars. We'll start with Catchers.

Some ground rules:

1) Facts. Not Opinions. Use Numbers/Stats to back up your statements. Don't blindly throw out things like "Ohhh He's Just Awesome".

2) Keep it Civil. Don't Bash other players/teams.

3) You nominate. Open the floor, if you will.

The scoring.

Good Facts +3

Minor Facts +2

Homerism +1

Who awards points? I will and any of the mods are allowed to give points. There are no deductions.

So let's open it up...

Who is the best catcher currently playing in the MLB?

So in order to get a lively debate going I thought we should a little "Around the Horn" Style debate. To determine who the best current players are. Think of them like the CCSLC All Stars. We'll start with Catchers.

Some ground rules:

1) Facts. Not Opinions. Use Numbers/Stats to back up your statements. Don't blindly throw out things like "Ohhh He's Just Awesome".

2) Keep it Civil. Don't Bash other players/teams.

3) You nominate. Open the floor, if you will.

The scoring.

Good Facts +3

Minor Facts +2

Homerism +1

Who awards points? I will and any of the mods are allowed to give points. There are no deductions.

So let's open it up...

Who is the best catcher currently playing in the MLB?

If you are looking for facts, how does homerism earn you a point?

Joe Mauer - minnesota Twins

Lifetime batting average of .313

Lifetime fielding average of .995

lifetime .857 on base percentage

averages almost 8 and a half hits per strikeout

great teammate and leader in the clubhouse

plus he is on my fantasy team :P

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

This arguement starts and ends with Johnny Bench.

2000 hits

1300 RBIs

389 HRs

10 Gold Gloves

Threw out something north of 40% of basestealers.

Now Current? Fielding wise its Yadier Molina to me. He's threw out 50% of basestealers last year, and I think its 55% for his career (catching stats are harder to find) He's picked off 20 in his career. The stats have only been kept since 87 and everyone north of him is 10+ years in the league. Yadi? 4 years. He's also one of 3 catchers to be in two world series before age 25...the other two? Johnny Bench and Yogi Berra.

Honestly, with catching I mainly care about the defense. Its just my personal way of figuring it. I know offense is very important but I just like my catchers to be defense first.

I didn't have time to dig up the stats, so I didn't post, but I'll second Yadi as at least a top 3 catcher in the league because of his defense, ability to call a game, and his leadership. His offense is now at a very acceptable level, too.

There's maybe two or three catchers in the league who provide strong (though lesser) defense and hit lights out that I would have to consider over Yadi, and in this rotisserie age of baseball would certainly be picked by most over Yadi.

Might chime back in further when I get a chance to look up more stats.

Catcher is one of my favorite positions in baseball because they have to be so good at so many little things, big and small.

This arguement starts and ends with Johnny Bench.

2000 hits

1300 RBIs

389 HRs

10 Gold Gloves

Threw out something north of 40% of basestealers.

Now Current? Fielding wise its Yadier Molina to me. He's threw out 50% of basestealers last year, and I think its 55% for his career (catching stats are harder to find) He's picked off 20 in his career. The stats have only been kept since 87 and everyone north of him is 10+ years in the league. Yadi? 4 years. He's also one of 3 catchers to be in two world series before age 25...the other two? Johnny Bench and Yogi Berra.

Honestly, with catching I mainly care about the defense. Its just my personal way of figuring it. I know offense is very important but I just like my catchers to be defense first.

I'll rebut with Ivan Rodriguez.

Career .302 BA

Over 2500 hits, and still going

Closing in on 300 HRs and 1200 RBI

14 time All-Star, 12 time starter

13 Gold Gloves and counting

AL MVP

AL Silver Slugger

NLCS MVP

Completely stifles the running game for the opposing team, with a career gun-down percentage of 47.3%

All that, and he jump started the current Tigers' renaissance by being the first big-name player to sign with the team. His status in the game has helped to bring in other high profile players, including Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, and Kenny Rogers. He corralled two different young pitching staffs and was the guiding influence into bringing those teams to the World Series (2003 Marlins, 2006 Tigers).

Pudge = #1

Currently playing in "the" MLB? For offense it's gotta be Mauer or Martinez. But Yadier Molina is easily the best at playing the position.

"I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing them to Johnny Bench."

-Sparky Anderson

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Crash Davis.

He played in the show, helped Ebby Calvin Laloosh become the next great dominating pitcher for the Braves, and he nailed Susan Sarandon.

Winner...hands down, plus he is the all-time career homerun leader in the minor leagues

brewerssig.jpg

As much as I'd love to throw the Angels' catching tandem out there, I can't. I'll go with Victor Martinez.

- He's batting .365 currently, .303 lifetime

- Not a huge power threat, but around 20 dingers per season

- He's hit over 100 RBI twice out of the last four seasons, with a respectable 80 and 93 in the other two.

- He's played in over 140 games in each of the last four seasons

- Since becoming the full-time starter in Cleveland, he's had a fielding % over .990

Edit: I change my answer to every bullpen catcher in the league. It's my dream job...you travel with the team, friggin' get paid to play catch with big-time pitchers, and well, that's about it.

Well, I at least get the one point for homerism because I'm going with A.J. Pierzynski.

Currently batting .301 with a .842 OPS. Lifetime .284 hitter, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Very cerebral player. Has the wherewithal to, say, reach first base on a dropped third strike and become the winning run in an ALCS game. Below average defensive catcher, yes, but he may or may not make up for it by talking smack to opposing batters a la Jake Taylor. But, most importantly, I'm going with A.J. for his character. In a 2006 Sports Illustrated survey of 470 players, A.J. was voted the player they'd most like to see get beaned. 42% of players surveyed in the AL Central voted for A.J. GQ Magazine rated him as the 9th most hated professional athlete. In Spring Training 2004, he took a pitch to the balls. Trainer Stan Conte rushed over to him and asked him how he felt. A.J. punched him square in the nuts and said "like this!" Known to deliberately step on the first baseman's foot while running down the line, then turning to him and saying "sorry, that was an accident" when it more than likely was not, in fact, an accident. And, he was directly involved in giving Chris Sabin, Sonjay Dutt and Dale Torborg a victory over the Diamonds in the Rough at a TNA Wrestling event when A.J. hit Simon Diamond over the head with home plate which was given to him by Johnny Damon. Now, I want that guy on my team.

Catcher is one of my favorite positions in baseball because they have to be so good at so many little things, big and small.

Hence the reason why a lot of the best managers throughout baseball history were catchers in their playing days......catchers are generally the smartest players (baseball-wise) on the team, and pay more attention to the small details of the game. Not only do they call the game for the pitchers, they're also setting the defense up, amongst a lot of other duties....

Hence the reason why a lot of the best managers throughout baseball history were catchers in their playing days......catchers are generally the smartest players (baseball-wise) on the team, and pay more attention to the small details of the game. Not only do they call the game for the pitchers, they're also setting the defense up, amongst a lot of other duties....

And you get to wear all that cool equipment which was the sole reason I wanted to be a catcher in Little League. I ended up playing the position for the next 12 years. Best gig on the field if you ask me.

BB52Big.jpg

And you get to wear all that cool equipment which was the sole reason I wanted to be a catcher in Little League. I ended up playing the position for the next 12 years. Best gig on the field if you ask me.

Same here. Started when I was 6 cause I wanted to wear the gear. Last baseball game I actually caught was about a year ago so I caught for 20 years. Never wanted to play another position but over one summer I played every position for my legion team.

I miss it so much.

Except for the part about lugging your catching gear back to the bus after catching both games of a doubleheader....

I miss it so much.

Every day.

Because there were no adult leagues where I lived, I stopped playing baseball at 19 and had to move to softball. Years later when I was living in Syracuse I found out about a brand new adult baseball league. At age 35 I got to play two more seasons of baseball. I was a full time first baseman by then but I did get to catch for one inning in a blowout. It was great to put on "the tools of ignorance" one more time.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived