More D-League Expansion

Pharos04

However, the D-League is pointless, and no one but Ramon Sessions has had any bit of an NBA impact. I would rather see an affiliation with the Europe League teams like the Olympiakos.

I think its only just starting to show its potential. Having a minor league with proper professional management and organisation to fill the void left when the original CBA collapsed has been important. At the moment its filling more of a role as a showcase for European talent scouts rather than NBA seasoning for players, but wait until every NBA team has its own NBDL affiliate. It might take another 5 years and killing off the CBA and ABA to get there but it'll be for the best.

liverpool-1.png

I know that the Halifax Rainmen are being considered for the 09/10 season, to get into the D-League. They were previously an ABA franchise, but the owner is shopping them around.

The D-League president was in town this past week to get smooched around and was treated to a WHC game. It had been discussed for years that Halifax could likely accomodate some sort of professional basketball team (not necessarily the NBA). Their ABA team was decent, though they winded up having to withdraw from the league before the playoffs began because (and this is only based on what I read), they weren't able to play enough games because too many scheduled opponents never made it to Halifax to play.

Umm...I think that's the BS the ABA put out.

Suffice it to say the Rainmen grew tired of the ABA's shenanigans, especially after they randomly lost a home playoff game through the whim of Joe Newman. I wish the Rainmen luck in the future, they deserve to be in a better league than the ABA 2000.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wasn't going to comment on this until something was finalized, but I have been talking to one of the potential owners of the Portland, ME franchise. I have been talking to him about name and identity ideas, and just having general conversations. He seems like a really nice guy, and he is not jumping the gun at all, keeping his head out of the clouds until a deal is done. They have an arena deal all worked out and approved up here in the Portland Expo, and everything seems to be going as planned, but no luck just yet. I will keep people posted.

As for the Reno names...I like the way Reno Riders sounds, but I think I will be voting for Reno Bighorns because an NBA/D-League franchise needs to have a ram based identity. I love the D-League, and hopefully these new teams give the League some better logos and identities. There was also rumblings (very loud rumblings) that a team would be placed in Harlem. Who knows what happened with that.

The Knicks didn't want a better team playing in the same city.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

and plenty of d-league players have made an impact in the nba... mikki moore (and from wikipedia: Rafer Alston, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Chuck Hayes, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Bobby Simmons and Ime Udoka)

to say the nbdl is pointless is a kinda ignorant

However, the D-League is pointless, and no one but Ramon Sessions has had any bit of an NBA impact. I would rather see an affiliation with the Europe League teams like the Olympiakos.

Hmmm, I have to hope that doesn't happen, and I can't see the European Clubs wanting to become feeders for the nba. The standard of European Basketball competition is fairly good, and with talk (albeit unlikely) of European based NBA teams in the future,I can't see it happening.

I'm hopeful that one day a genuine 'world championship' or at least trans-atlantic series can take place between nba and euroleague champions...

As for the D-League, I think it should expand to a genuine minor league - I like that SA, LA and Indiana have locally based affiliates and that should continue, but it would be nice for the league to return to the south where is was originally based at soem point in the future - atlanta and carolina needs affiliates anyway, so i guesss it might happen...

Hmmm, I have to hope that doesn't happen, and I can't see the European Clubs wanting to become feeders for the nba. The standard of European Basketball competition is fairly good, and with talk (albeit unlikely) of European based NBA teams in the future,I can't see it happening.

I'm hopeful that one day a genuine 'world championship' or at least trans-atlantic series can take place between nba and euroleague champions...

As for the D-League, I think it should expand to a genuine minor league - I like that SA, LA and Indiana have locally based affiliates and that should continue, but it would be nice for the league to return to the south where is was originally based at soem point in the future - atlanta and carolina needs affiliates anyway, so i guesss it might happen...

Unfortunately for the D-League, the general lesson seems to be that D-League teams cannot win at the box office when they go toe to toe with Division I collegiate basketball programs, especially major ones. Given the relative glut of said programs in the Southeast, I'm not sure that a return is a feasible or viable option.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

ah yes...just a few! has the stength of the NCAA in the region affected the granting of franchises in all pro sports (and explain why the is no mlb team in carolina)?

ah yes...just a few! has the stength of the NCAA in the region affected the granting of franchises in all pro sports (and explain why the is no mlb team in carolina)?

I think the absences of major league baseball in the Carolinas has more to do with Charlotte and Raleigh's (relatively) small market size than with the presence of collegiate teams.

For the most part, as well, collegiate baseball is more small time than football or basketball...the Carolinas do have a large number of minor league teams scattered throughout them in baseball.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think its only just starting to show its potential. Having a minor league with proper professional management and organisation to fill the void left when the original CBA collapsed has been important. At the moment its filling more of a role as a showcase for European talent scouts rather than NBA seasoning for players, but wait until every NBA team has its own NBDL affiliate. It might take another 5 years and killing off the CBA and ABA to get there but it'll be for the best.

I want to agree with this, but I know better from the NHL/IHL/AHL and MLB and any league farm teams to worry about constant flux in my minor league team becoming more problematic than whatever benefit I have.

and plenty of d-league players have made an impact in the nba... mikki moore (and from wikipedia: Rafer Alston, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Chuck Hayes, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Bobby Simmons and Ime Udoka)

to say the nbdl is pointless is a kinda ignorant

My mistake, I meant Ramon Sessions was the only player with D-League experience to win an NBA monthly award. I didn't know Bobby Simmons was in the D-League, but he is the only one that I know to have an end-of-season award (Most Improved) in the NBA. I wouldn't include Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, or Devin Brown in the relevance argument, though.

I have a feeling that the D-League will never be a full 30-team league, I can see them as a 14-16 team league with each team being an affiliate for 2 teams.

I wasn't going to comment on this until something was finalized, but I have been talking to one of the potential owners of the Portland, ME franchise. I have been talking to him about name and identity ideas, and just having general conversations. He seems like a really nice guy, and he is not jumping the gun at all, keeping his head out of the clouds until a deal is done. They have an arena deal all worked out and approved up here in the Portland Expo, and everything seems to be going as planned, but no luck just yet. I will keep people posted.

As for the Reno names...I like the way Reno Riders sounds, but I think I will be voting for Reno Bighorns because an NBA/D-League franchise needs to have a ram based identity. I love the D-League, and hopefully these new teams give the League some better logos and identities. There was also rumblings (very loud rumblings) that a team would be placed in Harlem. Who knows what happened with that.

The Knicks didn't want a better team playing in the same city.

LOL

Archived