More D-League Expansion

Pharos04

Well apparently after last year with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and the Iowa Energy (the one with the ball looking like it's constipated), our friends at the D-League seem to be expanding again. This time to Reno, NV and Erie, PA. As of right now the Erie team doesn't seem to have a list of names to vote on yet. However Reno already has it's "Name the Team!" contest going. The finalists right now are the Bighorns, Enforcers, Rangers, and Riders. Looks like a couple more winners to me. :rolleyes: I"ll update when I find out what the Erie names will be. Whaddya think, Keystoners?

And for us C's fans who's affiliate is waaaaay out in Utah, apparently there may be a team coming to Portland, ME

I wasn't going to comment on this until something was finalized, but I have been talking to one of the potential owners of the Portland, ME franchise. I have been talking to him about name and identity ideas, and just having general conversations. He seems like a really nice guy, and he is not jumping the gun at all, keeping his head out of the clouds until a deal is done. They have an arena deal all worked out and approved up here in the Portland Expo, and everything seems to be going as planned, but no luck just yet. I will keep people posted.

As for the Reno names...I like the way Reno Riders sounds, but I think I will be voting for Reno Bighorns because an NBA/D-League franchise needs to have a ram based identity. I love the D-League, and hopefully these new teams give the League some better logos and identities. There was also rumblings (very loud rumblings) that a team would be placed in Harlem. Who knows what happened with that.

I wasn't going to comment on this until something was finalized, but I have been talking to one of the potential owners of the Portland, ME franchise. I have been talking to him about name and identity ideas, and just having general conversations. He seems like a really nice guy, and he is not jumping the gun at all, keeping his head out of the clouds until a deal is done. They have an arena deal all worked out and approved up here in the Portland Expo, and everything seems to be going as planned, but no luck just yet. I will keep people posted.

As for the Reno names...I like the way Reno Riders sounds, but I think I will be voting for Reno Bighorns because an NBA/D-League franchise needs to have a ram based identity. I love the D-League, and hopefully these new teams give the League some better logos and identities. There was also rumblings (very loud rumblings) that a team would be placed in Harlem. Who knows what happened with that.

The Knicks didn't want a better team playing in the same city.

Reno Riders sounds the best...anything is better than "Mad Ants".

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Reno Riders sounds the best...anything is better than "Mad Ants".

Check out the team's Wikipedia page and you'll see that historical reference to Mad Ants:

The team held a name-the-team contest on their website where fans could vote on one of the four finalists: Lightning, Fire, Coyotes, and Mad Ants. [1] The winning name of Mad Ants [2] was announced on June 18th, and is a salute to the city's and fort's namesake, General "Mad" Anthony Wayne.

I know at one point, one of the owners of the company I used to work for in Winnipeg was pursuing a D-League team (for Winnipeg, of course). Apparently, that has yet to come to fruition, despite the fact that Winnipeg just isn't a basketball town.

At least, not a low-level bus league basketball town.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I wasn't going to comment on this until something was finalized, but I have been talking to one of the potential owners of the Portland, ME franchise. I have been talking to him about name and identity ideas...

Should Portland land a D-League franchise, the team simply has to be branded as the Windjammers. The name harkens back to the Maine Windjammers of the Continental Basketball Association, references the fleet of historic sailing vessels that call the waters of Maine their home, and the 'Jammers portion of the name lends itself to a basketball team.

In the case of Reno, I cast my vote for Bighorns.

I wasn't going to comment on this until something was finalized, but I have been talking to one of the potential owners of the Portland, ME franchise. I have been talking to him about name and identity ideas...

Should Portland land a D-League franchise, the team simply has to be branded as the Windjammers. The name harkens back to the Maine Windjammers of the Continental Basketball Association, references the fleet of historic sailing vessels that call the waters of Maine their home, and the 'Jammers portion of the name lends itself to a basketball team.

In the case of Reno, I cast my vote for Bighorns.

I agree with Bighorns...for exactly the same reason you listed above.

However Reno already has it's "Name the Team!" contest going. The finalists right now are the Bighorns, Enforcers, Rangers, and Riders. Looks like a couple more winners to me. :rolleyes:

I don't know, none of those really bother me. I'd be OK with either of the four, but I'll side with PANTONE's reasoning and pick Bighorns.

How there isn't a team at the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre yet, i"ll never know.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has been proven to be a viable minor league venue. I think a D-League team placed there would do very well at the gates.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

How there isn't a team at the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre yet, i"ll never know.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has been proven to be a viable minor league venue. I think a D-League team placed there would do very well at the gates.

..and then, they could be the Barons - just like the EPBA/EBA/CBA franchise from 1954-1955 through 1978-1979.

..and then, they could be the Barons - just like the EPBA/EBA/CBA franchise from 1954-1955 through 1978-1979.

Or the Red Barons, like the former IL team.

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=935

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Which would be a first for the D-League. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know that the Halifax Rainmen are being considered for the 09/10 season, to get into the D-League. They were previously an ABA franchise, but the owner is shopping them around.

The D-League president was in town this past week to get smooched around and was treated to a WHC game. It had been discussed for years that Halifax could likely accomodate some sort of professional basketball team (not necessarily the NBA). Their ABA team was decent, though they winded up having to withdraw from the league before the playoffs began because (and this is only based on what I read), they weren't able to play enough games because too many scheduled opponents never made it to Halifax to play.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I guess there are worse names out there. I like Riders, because one of Slamball's second season expansion teams was the Riders. I think they were white and purple. Anyway, it also sounds pretty nice.

However, the D-League is pointless, and no one but Ramon Sessions has had any bit of an NBA impact. I would rather see an affiliation with the Europe League teams like the Olympiakos.

The Knicks didn't want a better team playing in the same city.

Good call. Oh, snap!

Archived