Saints Owner buys N.O. Fox Affiliate

MadmanLA

This made some news over the weekend...

WVUE Channel 8, the Fox affiliate in New Orleans (and before that, they were the local ABC station) was purchased by Saints owner Tom Benson over the weekend, as he states that this is the start of a new media company, as he plans to buy some radio stations and start up a film company. He also stated that this is furthering his commitment in the New Orleans community. There has been some presidence where team owners (or teams themselves) owning over-the-air stations...the Tribune Company (owning several TV stations and the Cubs--for now), Boston Celtics once owned the local Fox station there (in turn selling it back to Fox years later), and so-on and so-on.

Here's the story...

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05...s_purchase.html

Can someone say "conflict of interest"?

This made some news over the weekend...

WVUE Channel 8, the Fox affiliate in New Orleans (and before that, they were the local ABC station) was purchased by Saints owner Tom Benson over the weekend, as he states that this is the start of a new media company, as he plans to buy some radio stations and start up a film company. He also stated that this is furthering his commitment in the New Orleans community. There has been some presidence where team owners (or teams themselves) owning over-the-air stations...the Tribune Company (owning several TV stations and the Cubs--for now), Boston Celtics once owned the local Fox station there (in turn selling it back to Fox years later), and so-on and so-on.

Here's the story...

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05...s_purchase.html

Can someone say "conflict of interest"?

I don't think it is a conflict at all, especially since he wished to have more of a media company. ClearChannel may sell him a station in New Orleans, but that are within something called the Aloha Trust. He will get another station, then pick up others in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Biloxi, and Shreveport. As a result, WWL may lose rights to Saints games. Benson will take revenue over signal strength, especially if he gets stations in his key markets.

To be more clear about the conflict, I was think more in terms of the way they would cover the Saints on the news, particularly whenever a player or whomever else from the organization gets in some trouble with the law. Will they cover the team in the same way as the other local stations, or will they "protect" the team and not report the full story?

That being said, I don't see it being a problem. Reading some of the readers' comments from Times-Picayune article, some people do.

Wow...I remember when WVUE, now channel 8, was Channel 12 and the local PBS station was channel 8. They swapped, for what reason I have no idea unless it was so channel 8 would be closer to the CBS and NBC stations (channels 4 and 6 respectively) on the old turn-and-click TV dial.

Yeah, I've been around a while... :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wow...I remember when WVUE, now channel 8, was Channel 12 and the local PBS station was channel 8. They swapped, for what reason I have no idea unless it was so channel 8 would be closer to the CBS and NBC stations (channels 4 and 6 respectively) on the old turn-and-click TV dial.

The same thing happened in Nashville in 1973, where the ABC and PBS stations swapped channel positions.

Dang, Skyaa, you ARE old--- even I don't remember that switch and I'v ebeen in the Big Easy since 1972 :P

At any rate, this sale should be brought forth the next time someone posts about the Saints not being able to survive in the New Orleans market or moving to Los Angeles. Buying the local affiliate that broadcasts the overwhelming majority of you team's games doesn't indicate an impending move or sale to me; rather it signals the opposite.

I look for a new long-term (20, 25 yrs.) lease agreement with the state by the end of the year, also one for the Hornets. The Saints agreement will probably involve continuing minor upgrades to the Dome in the upcoming years, then a plan process for a new stadium to kick in around year 10 of the lease.

And then, in 2010, Ray Nagin will finally be gone and N.O can REALLY move forward.... :D

It is what it is.

I don't think it is a conflict at all, especially since he wished to have more of a media company. ClearChannel may sell him a station in New Orleans, but that are within something called the Aloha Trust. He will get another station, then pick up others in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Biloxi, and Shreveport. As a result, WWL may lose rights to Saints games. Benson will take revenue over signal strength, especially if he gets stations in his key markets.

Who could he pick up in Lafayette? There's only 2 real conglomerates, and they both hold pretty equal market shares (Regent has Sports, News, easy listening, hip-hop, and Rock, but Citadel has the obscenely popular Top 40 station which balances out the ledger with both sharing country pretty equally)

But in the end they can all jump off of a cliff. I've got Sirius and that's all I'll ever need.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Teams owning stations is more common then you think

Examples?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In New York alone

Rangers, Knicks, Mets and Yankees

Fox Owned the Dodgers until two years ago

Turner of TBS owned

Braves and Hawks

Comcast Owns

76ers and Flyers

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The same thing happened in Nashville in 1973, where the ABC and PBS stations swapped channel positions.

That's nothing compared to the games of "musical networks" that have been going on in the Twin Cities over the last 30 years. WCCO (Ch. 4, CBS) is the only local TV station that has kept its current network affiliation for that long. Up until 1979 KSTP (5) was with NBC, KMSP (9) was with ABC and WTCN (now KARE, 11) was independent. That year those three stations swapped networks: KSTP moved to ABC and WTCN moved to NBC (where both remain today) and KMSP became independent. In the 1980s a few new UHF stations popped up, two of which eventually became the Twin Cities' Fox and WB affiliates. In 1995 KMSP joined UPN. Seven years later they swapped networks with the Fox station. The erstwhile Fox UHF station then lost UPN when that network merged with the WB, and is now with "My Network".

CCSLC signature.png

That's nothing compared to the games of "musical networks" that have been going on in the Twin Cities over the last 30 years. WCCO (Ch. 4, CBS) is the only local TV station that has kept its current network affiliation for that long. Up until 1979 KSTP (5) was with NBC, KMSP (9) was with ABC and WTCN (now KARE, 11) was independent. That year those three stations swapped networks: KSTP moved to ABC and WTCN moved to NBC (where both remain today) and KMSP became independent. In the 1980s a few new UHF stations popped up, two of which eventually became the Twin Cities' Fox and WB affiliates. In 1995 KMSP joined UPN. Seven years later they swapped networks with the Fox station. The erstwhile Fox UHF station then lost UPN when that network merged with the WB, and is now with "My Network".

Well, the Twin Cities hasn't been immune to network affilliation switches, many major markets have had them, except New York City and Chicago, since the networks have long owned their respective stations. Even here in Los Angeles, in the early 1950s, KTTV (our area's current Fox station) was originally the L.A. CBS station for a couple of years (co-owned between CBS and the Los Angeles Times), but when CBS brought its current local station (Channel 2), its sold back its ownership in KTTV to the Times, and it carried the Dumont network until they went of business in the mid-1950s.

South Florida is another prime example is network affilliation swaps occured, particuarly in the 80s and 90s...even two stations (Channels 4 and 6) traded dial positions in the mid-90s. WTVJ was Miami's original CBS affiliate, at Channel 4. NBC bought them in 1989, which resulted in WSVN Channel 7 (originally NBC) joining Fox, after WCIX Channel 6 was bought by CBS (WCIX was the original Fox station in South Florida). Sometime in 1995 or so, WTVJ and WCIX traded dial positions, with 'TVJ going to Channel 6 and 'CIX going to 4 (and becoming the current WFOR).

Dang, Skyaa, you ARE old...

:mad:

Just kidding. Can't deny it, we moved to NOLA in 1969 and that December I attended my first Saints game, a 27-24 victory over the Steelers at old Tulane Stadium. What sick, sick irony that my childhood dreams for the Saints were stoked by them winning the first game I went to. :D

I think Alec Gifford was the anchor on WVUE back then.

About the Twin Cities, what we were talking about in N.O. wasn't a change of affiliations, it was a change of channel, frequency, whatever the correct term is. The ABC station stayed ABC and PBS stayed PBS, they just swapped so that ABC was broadcasting on channel 8 instead of channel 12 and PBS was on channel 12 instead of channel 8.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

In New York alone

Rangers, Knicks, Mets and Yankees

Turner of TBS owned

Braves and Hawks

Comcast Owns

76ers and Flyers

Yes, but besides the Dodgers, now many of those stations are legitimate network news stations, not sports / entertainment stations that make their affiliations with the teams obvious?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Teams owning stations is more common then you think

Ok, but the list you posted:

Turner of TBS owned

Braves and Hawks

Comcast Owns

76ers and Flyers

Is tv stations owning teams. Unless the Flyers are responsible for my cable tv and internet cause if they are, it's another good reason to root against them.

Ooh I forgot one

WGN used to own the Cubs too

Its still owned by WGN...kinda. The Cubs are owned by the Tribune Company which owns WGN.

But they'll sell to Mark Cuban soon so it won't last much longer...

I'm pretty sure the Cardinals own their radio station KTRS...but I don't think that's what you guys are really talking about here...

Did everyone forget that CBS used to own the Yankees? Now that was a conflict...

Also, Dan Snyder of the Redskins owns radio stations in the DC area...

As for affil switches, we've had a bunch of them in Green Bay. It started in 81, when WLUK-11 and WFRV-5 swapped ABC (WLUK to WFRV) and NBC. In the mid-80s, WXGZ had the Fox affil, but went bankrupt and WGBA inherited Fox. In the early 90s, CBS bought WFRV and swapped with WBAY-2 (which got AbC). Then in 1994, after Fox got the NFL, an arm of Fox bought WLUK and moved Fox there, with WGBA getting NBC (it took the station two years to institute local news). And I won't even start with the UPN-CW-WB-MyNet stations...

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived