Mother's Day in Baseball

Billy B

The pink thing is stupid in any sport, do yellow for cancer research, or red for the cancer society. Enough of this breast cancer bull.

Yeah! Breast cancer is so lame and stupid! F breast cancer. Only pussies get breast cancer and we shouldn't have to hear about it!

Well...even though it is a serious illness, and can in turn lead to other fatal cancers, the general point about there being more types of cancer to be aware of remains.

Also...there is a tendency to lessen the impact of an awareness movement by saturating the market with it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pink thing is stupid in any sport, do yellow for cancer research, or red for the cancer society. Enough of this breast cancer bull.

Yeah! Breast cancer is so lame and stupid! F breast cancer. Only pussies get breast cancer and we shouldn't have to hear about it!

Well...even though it is a serious illness, and can in turn lead to other fatal cancers, the general point about there being more types of cancer to be aware of remains.

Also...there is a tendency to lessen the impact of an awareness movement by saturating the market with it.

Thank you.

With todays society and everyone being able to complain about being offended by everything, I should be offended they are shoving breast cancer donations in my face, when I have family members that died of prostate cancer, colon cancer, and lung cancer.

So I'm insulted no one cares about those cancers, because they aren't breast cancer. And I'm aware a small percentage of men can be affected by breast cancer, but if all this noise was over prostate cancer awareness? We would have a huge problem with being sexist and every feminazi would be upset.

anti.png

So I'm insulted no one cares about those cancers, because they aren't breast cancer. And I'm aware a small percentage of men can be affected by breast cancer, but if all this noise was over prostate cancer awareness? We would have a huge problem with being sexist and every feminazi would be upset.

If you could make a post without using words like "complete douche" or "feminazi," then people might take you seriously. And I love this line of thinking always produces some kind of argument that asserts we should stop paying attention to something other people care about and instead care about the things that have directly affected you. There's irony there, but you don't see it.

Rams80 is smart enough to make the valid point that over-commercialization of an illness (if that's what you want to call it) might lessen our feelings towards that illness. I disagree, but it's not completely without merit. Crying that "feminazis" will be upset over prostate cancer awareness is not only an unprovable point, but a worthless argument as well.

Who cares who cares about which disease? Breast cancer awareness groups have successfully mobilized their message to affect you one baseball day out of the year, and the one month where Campbells soup has pink wrappers. Deal with it. Rich white guys have successfully mobilized their interests so that the entire Western world works in their favor 99.9 percent of the time. I think you'll be okay.

And to another point, nearly all of us have been affected by cancer in some way or form. I would wager that we all know someone that has suffered from cancer. That doesn't give us license to be jackasses.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If you could make a post without using words like "complete douche" or "feminazi," then people might take you seriously. And I love this line of thinking always produces some kind of argument that asserts we should stop paying attention to something other people care about and instead care about the things that have directly affected you. There's irony there, but you don't see it.

Rams80 is smart enough to make the valid point that over-commercialization of an illness (if that's what you want to call it) might lessen our feelings towards that illness. I disagree, but it's not completely without merit. Crying that "feminazis" will be upset over prostate cancer awareness is not only an unprovable point, but a worthless argument as well.

Who cares who cares about which disease? Breast cancer awareness groups have successfully mobilized their message to affect you one baseball day out of the year, and the one month where Campbells soup has pink wrappers. Deal with it. Rich white guys have successfully mobilized their interests so that the entire Western world works in their favor 99.9 percent of the time. I think you'll be okay.

And to another point, nearly all of us have been affected by cancer in some way or form. I would wager that we all know someone that has suffered from cancer. That doesn't give us license to be jackasses.

Gotta agree here. (I think hell just froze) While I agree, other cancers, such as Leukemia (in adults as well as kids), don't get quite as much "airplay", I feel they all need to be out there. So rather than scaling back on pink and breast cancer promotions, why not do MORE for all the others? I think Pink on Mother's Day and Blue on Father's Day is appropriate given those holidays and the cancers that mainly affect each sex individually. However, they should have something for others. I know you see a lot about St. Jude's and other kids illness related promotions, but not nearly as much as the others. And I think it would be great to have a special league-wide day for this. Hell, have special weeklong, Cancer Awareness Events for the entire league. I'm sure they could think of something. I mean, these guys are making millions of dollars. Get them involved in other ways. Start coming up with ways for THEM to also pledge money in support.

Gotta agree here. (I think hell just froze) While I agree, other cancers, such as Leukemia (in adults as well as kids), don't get quite as much "airplay", I feel they all need to be out there. So rather than scaling back on pink and breast cancer promotions, why not do MORE for all the others? I think Pink on Mother's Day and Blue on Father's Day is appropriate given those holidays and the cancers that mainly affect each sex individually. However, they should have something for others. I know you see a lot about St. Jude's and other kids illness related promotions, but not nearly as much as the others. And I think it would be great to have a special league-wide day for this. Hell, have special weeklong, Cancer Awareness Events for the entire league. I'm sure they could think of something. I mean, these guys are making millions of dollars. Get them involved in other ways. Start coming up with ways for THEM to also pledge money in support.

I completely agree. I even thought that they (at least for a few teams ) should have worn pink jerseys to emphasize the point more but come out of the players pockets since they make all that money .

Archived