NFL Owners Opt out of Labor Deal

Mac the Knife

UFL won't last long enough for a lockout to hit. And if it did start to show signs of life, I think the NFL Owners would change their minds on labor issues quite fast.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, I'm rooting for utter chaos. I think Goodell has been horrible in his short tenure as Commish, so to have the league blow up under his watch would be absolutely wonderful.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, I'm rooting for utter chaos. I think Goodell has been horrible in his short tenure as Commish, so to have the league blow up under his watch would be absolutely wonderful.

Well dang, I haven't liked Goodell's tenure either, but you'd think you'd want the guy to improve instead of wanting the whole damn league to blow up!

Though that would be morbidly fascinating, to see a league that was by far the most popular in the nation be reduced to a work-stoppage or be in complete chaos only a few days later.

But yeah, I'm really hoping that they get this done, AND preserve the salary cap. If it doesn't happen, then the NFL's gonna turn into the football version of MLB: Big market teams buying attempts at championships, and small market teams just making do. O lawd.

The NFL opting out of the labor deal will, in the long-term, have little impact on the league's stability and popularity. If anything, the new labor agreement that ultimately emerges from resulting negotiations will put more money in the pockets of individual franchises and the league. The rest of the major professional sports entities in North America wish they had the NFL's "problems".

As for the UFL, before the league can take advantage of the NFL's supposed labor strife it would help immeasurably to line-up more confirmed owners than Mark Cuban. UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue has claimed, at various times, to have anywhere from four to six ownership group and/or stadium lease commitments in hand, yet the league postponed its planned 2008 launch to 2009 and Cuban is still the only proposed owner known by name. Call me cynical, but I think the track-record of failed non-NFL, outdoor pro football leagues in North America (WFL, USFL, XFL, AAFL), combined with the economic downturn the United States is now facing, has scared off prospective owners in this league.

And the first piece of fallout may already be occurring: sources are reporting today that the St. Louis Rams are being put up for sale.

That rumor has been floating since Georgia Frontiere passed away in January. At the time, her children let it be known that they had no interest in taking-on primary responsibility for owning and operating the franchise. Their desire has little to do with the NFL's labor stance.

If anything, a potential buyer has chosen to leak the story at this time in the hope that so-called "labor uncertainty" will drive the price down. That said, if the NFL's future were so unsettled and dire, why would someone be interested in purchasing the team?

For what it is worth, Eddie DeBartolo has been one of the primary names bandied about locally as a potential owner for a newly relocated Los Angeles Rams.

This is from Gene Upshaw from a few days ago. It seems the players feel that the Owners are going to take the NHL approach to this. Apparently the NFL is bringing in the same negotiators that brought us a year without Hockey.

"Our players are prepared for that," he told several hundred sports industry officials and executives, comparing the NFL owners' approach to that taken by their counterparts in the National Hockey League that led to a lockout of that sport's players and the loss of the 2004-2005 season. "We've had a lot of discussion and preparation for that."

Upshaw said the players will not reduce their 60 percent share of the league's revenue pie. He also said if the owners reopen the current agreement, it would result in the elimination of the league salary cap starting with the 2010 season. He warned if the cap is eliminated, the players will not agree to reinstitute it.

"I've made it clear to the owners that we're not accepting a deal that pays us less than we're already making," Upshaw said, pointing to growing annual league revenue that tops $7 billion.

He said the NFL owners have brought in negotiators used by the NHL before their lockout.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7523132

If the CBA expired after this upcoming season I would say the chances of a long lockout would be large. However with 3 years between now and then that is a lot of time for cooler heads to prevail.

These strikes/lockouts are all garbage. These aren't overworked/underpaid steel workers. Why don't they take a page from the NBA, NHL, and MLB...each were the "hot" league at the time of their stoppage and each suffered from it and gave way to the other sports to become popular again. Just because football is king right now, doesn't mean the fans will be more forgiving than in the other sports...Order your NFL Sunday Ticket...only on Public Access TV ;)

KISSwall09.jpg

Maybe Lee's shooting too low with his ABA dream. Is buytherams.com available? LOL

Yes, but an ABA team can get way with playing its home games inside of a dumpster. The NFL is a bit more selective about the stadia its member-franchises call home.

You don't think if Lee raised a billion dollars to buy the team that they'd not have a place to play?

nav-logo.png

2010 without a salary cap = REDSKINS SUPER BOWL!!!

The thing is...Snyder needs to spend that money intelligently. Which he hasn't necessarily done in the past.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

These strikes/lockouts are all garbage. These aren't overworked/underpaid steel workers. Why don't they take a page from the NBA, NHL, and MLB...each were the "hot" league at the time of their stoppage and each suffered from it and gave way to the other sports to become popular again. Just because football is king right now, doesn't mean the fans will be more forgiving than in the other sports...Order your NFL Sunday Ticket...only on Public Access TV ;)

I will not call the NFL "bulletproof", but they are damn close. The strikes in the 1980's did little to populatiry since the East Coast does not have a large college football following...still. Add the World Series going later means to me that people will look to the NFL.

The agreement, the last signed by former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, entitled players to 60% of the league's gross revenues. It also forced franchises in large markets, such as New York, Dallas and Washington, to share profits with those in smaller cities, such as Jacksonville, giving smaller-market teams the ability to spend more for players. Under the previous deal, players received 55%.

The current TV deals also run out in 2011. I think the owners want to get a CBA in their favor before a new TV deal, so that the players will still get a fair share of the revenue.

I could talk about the steelworker comment, but based on your location, it shows that you are bitter like Obama said a month ago.

And Jerry Jones will be smarter with his money with Dan Snyder to get to a Super Bowl.

I could talk about the steelworker comment, but based on your location, it shows that you are bitter like Obama said a month ago.

That's pretty funny. And I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on steelworkers vis a vis NFLPA-covered players.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That's pretty funny. And I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on steelworkers vis a vis NFLPA-covered players.

Same here.

:censored: the NFL. Let 'em walk. I think it would be hilarious if the NFL pulled and NHL and stopped play for a year. I wouldn't miss it.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Archived