Sports cities needing teams

Delux247

No. In fact, if you look at its attendance, revenue, television coverage, and general awareness of the league, it is nowhere near the other four. It doesn't even come close to the NHL, which is lagging behind the other three. So, no, it is not suddenly a major league. If you walked up to the VAST majority of the people in this country, they would tell you it isn't.

Attendance Figures

National Basketball Association: 21,841,480 over 1,230 games= 17,757 average attendance

National Hockey League: 21,236,255 over 1,230 games= 17,265 average attendance

Major League Soccer: 3,270,210 over 195 games= 16,770 average attendance

Just sayin'.

Of course the NHL and NBA play at smaller capacity arenas with a maximum capacity of about 22,000 for Basketball and about 20,000-21,000. Even with soccer specific stadiums the capacity for MLS is higher. Not to mention that tickets are much cheaper for MLS.

What does percentage of capacity have to do with it if none of the three leagues are selling out every game?

That's like saying one league is more successful than another because there are fewer seats available for it... an available seat in any situation means not every ticket was sold, when this is the case (as it usually is) you can just take the raw attendance number and compare it that way.

Spin it however you want, but the MLS is averaging nearly 17,000 fans per game -- that sounds "major league" to me.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. In fact, if you look at its attendance, revenue, television coverage, and general awareness of the league, it is nowhere near the other four. It doesn't even come close to the NHL, which is lagging behind the other three. So, no, it is not suddenly a major league. If you walked up to the VAST majority of the people in this country, they would tell you it isn't.

Attendance Figures

National Basketball Association: 21,841,480 over 1,230 games= 17,757 average attendance

National Hockey League: 21,236,255 over 1,230 games= 17,265 average attendance

Major League Soccer: 3,270,210 over 195 games= 16,770 average attendance

Just sayin'.

Of course the NHL and NBA play at smaller capacity arenas with a maximum capacity of about 22,000 for Basketball and about 20,000-21,000. Even with soccer specific stadiums the capacity for MLS is higher. Not to mention that tickets are much cheaper for MLS.

What does percentage of capacity have to do with it if none of the three leagues are selling out every game?

That's like saying one league is more successful than another because there are fewer seats available for it... an available seat in any situation means not every ticket was sold, when this is the case (as it usually is) you can just take the raw attendance number and compare it that way.

Spin it however you want, but the MLS is averaging nearly 17,000 fans per game -- that sounds "major league" to me.

And my Suzuki 650 "sounds" a like a small Harley-Davidson but that doesn't make it one. If we decided whether or not a sport was "major league" based solely on attendance then we better start taking a long look at MMA and WWE wrestling as well. The simple fact is some sports are far more popular than others. Soccer fans just want to their sport to be taken as seriously as the NFL, NBA, or MLB. We can't blame them for that but we also can't ignore the reality, MLS isn't even in the ballpark when compared to the popularity of the big three. There is a reason MLS pulls a 0.2 on TV, is it that all their fans are already at the games so there's no one left at home to watch them? Or it could be that the sport simply isn't very popular?

If we're stuck on adding a fourth sport then I nominate NASCAR or wrestling.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

There is a reason MLS pulls a 0.2 on TV, is it that all their fans are already at the games so there's no one left at home to watch them? Or it could be that the sport simply isn't very popular?

Or "MLS pulls as good of a rating as the NHL did when it was on ESPN2 also."

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

There is a reason MLS pulls a 0.2 on TV, is it that all their fans are already at the games so there's no one left at home to watch them? Or it could be that the sport simply isn't very popular?

And yet they pull these numbers with ESPN not ripping the sport for fun. Ouch...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What's your point, that soccer is somehow a viable "major league" because it gets the same lousy ratings the NHL once did? Neither league is capable of getting better ratings than a rerun of NASCAR Now or Baseball Tonight. The MLS ratings suck. So did the NHL ratings. All that says is that no one watches either league.

You might want to rethink your strategy on this one.

BB52Big.jpg

If we need four big leagues, the fourth is clearly NASCAR. Or, for that matter, PGA Tour golf. Or maybe NFL, MLB, NBA, and College Football (with that last one right behind NFL as the biggest deal). There's no shame in MLS or NHL pulling in 15,000-20,000 fans per game. But if the television support isn't there, how major league can it be?

And, for what it's worth, WWE probably shouldn't even be in the conversation (and this is besides the point as it not being a sport). Yes, the WWE plays in front of 20,000-seat arenas twice a week and one Sunday a month, but they do so as a touring attraction. If WWE were based on out one arena, like Madison Square Garden or the Hartford Civic Center, I don't think you'd see 20,000 fans packing the arena as they do Rangers games every week. Part of the WWE's appeal is that it's a carnival-like atmosphere. It comes to your town, it's an event, and it's special that particular night. The Calgary Flames stay special 41 nights a year, and that's pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The WWE is a show, not a sporting event. It is World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT. The matches are fixed. Shocking, I know.

You're saying that like it's something new and interesting. Plus, I said all of that in more detail in the post above yours. What was your point?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The WWE is a show, not a sporting event. It is World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT. The matches are fixed. Shocking, I know.

You're saying that like it's something new and interesting. Plus, I said all of that in more detail in the post above yours. What was your point?

Apparently it is to the dude who said it should count as a major sport. I learned the awful truth in 5th grade.

One should never give too much credit to the intelligence level of a Ohio State grad, but I'm pretty certain infrared's reference of pro wrestling as a major sport was tongue in cheek.

As far as the Phoenix area goes we already have it all pretty much, but I think we should have a MLS franchise. With the large latino prescence and the growing fan base for the game of futbol we would be a great fit

First, are we all in agreement that we're adding the MLS to "the big four?"

Second, Arizona had a problem maintaining attendance for the Arizona Sahuaros.

We only seem to have great attendance when it's an international friendly these days.

If PHX is patient we will have a MLS expansion team in the future...2014-2016ish. I'm a 'yotes fan, but I will admit that their are other cities more deserving of a NHL franchise.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

If we need four big leagues, the fourth is clearly NASCAR. Or, for that matter, PGA Tour golf. Or maybe NFL, MLB, NBA, and College Football (with that last one right behind NFL as the biggest deal). There's no shame in MLS or NHL pulling in 15,000-20,000 fans per game. But if the television support isn't there, how major league can it be?

And, for what it's worth, WWE probably shouldn't even be in the conversation (and this is besides the point as it not being a sport). Yes, the WWE plays in front of 20,000-seat arenas twice a week and one Sunday a month, but they do so as a touring attraction. If WWE were based on out one arena, like Madison Square Garden or the Hartford Civic Center, I don't think you'd see 20,000 fans packing the arena as they do Rangers games every week. Part of the WWE's appeal is that it's a carnival-like atmosphere. It comes to your town, it's an event, and it's special that particular night. The Calgary Flames stay special 41 nights a year, and that's pretty impressive.

People please stop with the NASCAR is the #4 sport b.s., sure they draw huge crowds but its one event per weekend in the same location, with every team in the race, they draw the same amount of people the NBA and NHL draw on a weekend, their tv ratings are also inflated due to the same reasons.

Back in the day when a lot of the wrestling promotions ran the same arena every week anything over 5,000 was considered a great crowd.

One should never give too much credit to the intelligence level of a Ohio State grad, but I'm pretty certain infrared's reference of pro wrestling as a major sport was tongue in cheek.

You hurt me my friend.

And yes the idea of wrestling as a major sport was written with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

BB52Big.jpg

As far as the Phoenix area goes we already have it all pretty much, but I think we should have a MLS franchise. With the large latino prescence and the growing fan base for the game of futbol we would be a great fit

First, are we all in agreement that we're adding the MLS to "the big four?"

Second, Arizona had a problem maintaining attendance for the Arizona Sahuaros.

We only seem to have great attendance when it's an international friendly these days.

If PHX is patient we will have a MLS expansion team in the future...2014-2016ish. I'm a 'yotes fan, but I will admit that their are other cities more deserving of a NHL franchise.

Wow, I can imagine few things worse than playing soccer in the midsummer heat of Arizona.

People please stop with the NASCAR is the #4 sport b.s., sure they draw huge crowds but its one event per weekend in the same location, with every team in the race, they draw the same amount of people the NBA and NHL draw on a weekend, their tv ratings are also inflated due to the same reasons.

Back in the day when a lot of the wrestling promotions ran the same arena every week anything over 5,000 was considered a great crowd.

If you consider that in many cases leagues such as the MLS and the NHL are just at "game of the week" status in regards to TV coverage, why should we use that against NASCAR in discussing their TV numbers. The race is NASCAR's "Game of the Week". Only with better TV numbers than the MLS and the NHL.

screw the NBA, Seattle needs an NHL team. however if they acquired one i would be conflicted, as a diehard Washingtonian and Canucks fan

Seattle also needs an arena you can stick a hockey rink in without chopping out half the seating. (sarcastic hyperbole, but from what I understand a significant chunk of the seating is taken out, and what's left has poor sightlines.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Amazingly I have agreed with all your posts in this thread. But if the WWE is touring so is NASCAR. Now NASCAR follows a schedule that is the same for the most part year after year. I don't follow the WWE so I don't know if they try to do the same. I agree 100% that NASCAR is a Major League caliber sport, it is but, because it is more personality driven (no pun intended) it is hard to view it in the same "class" as team/city based sports. Now to me any sport that can draw 100,000 plus from Feb. to November, with rabid fans that drive days to spend the weekend in far flung places like Bristol, Dover, Loudon , and cities like Atlanta, Chicago, and Phoenix is really a top 2 sport. The only thing that limits its growth in major metro areas is the size of the site needed for a 1 to 2 mile tri oval. I would love to see NASCAR attempt a Grand Prix style city streets race like Monaco or Long Beach, in say Baltimore, Seattle or Denver.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived