Cubs/Braves Throwback Game

no97

I loved watching this game, even on HD watching it in black and white it was kinda interesting. It would have been cool to add a little haze filter.

And if they REALLY wanted to be authentic to 1948, Kosuke Fukudome wouldn't have played at all. I mean seriously, do you really think a JAPANESE player would have been playing AMERICAN baseball in 1948?

Food for thought ;)

2IA3b.png

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was about to raise a fit about them leaving the numbers off of the front. But, I just saw some photos from 1948, and they didn't wear numbers on the front then. Majestic and the Braves could have put some more effort into these by using the thicker script that was used in 1948, not the current one.

And if they REALLY wanted to be authentic to 1948, Kosuke Fukudome wouldn't have played at all. I mean seriously, do you really think a JAPANESE player would have been playing AMERICAN baseball in 1948?

I have to admit that same thought occurred to me during the game as well. :oops:

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Apologies for bringing this back again. But in case someone else has an interest, a friend of mine inquired about the navy Cubs cap that had never been worn in Cubs history until this year's 1948 throwback game and got this response from Cubs.com beat writer Carrie Muskat:

"My baseball historian Ed Hartig confirmed the cap design was wrong, but said there was a problem with the manufacturer and that was the best they could do."

So... New Era, I presume? They certainly have the correct color of blue available, and even if they would have had to attach a modern red Cincy C on it it would have been closer. Oh well.

Apologies for bringing this back again. But in case someone else has an interest, a friend of mine inquired about the navy Cubs cap that had never been worn in Cubs history until this year's 1948 throwback game and got this response from Cubs.com beat writer Carrie Muskat:

"My baseball historian Ed Hartig confirmed the cap design was wrong, but said there was a problem with the manufacturer and that was the best they could do."

So... New Era, I presume? They certainly have the correct color of blue available, and even if they would have had to attach a modern red Cincy C on it it would have been closer. Oh well.

The irony is that the blue looks like the real blue on lids.com

http://www.lids.com/pid/20118525

The irony is that the blue looks like the real blue on lids.com

http://www.lids.com/pid/20118525

Interesting. It does look like the right blue. Still has the outline, but that would have been better than what they wore. Interesting they can mass produce these for sale but couldn't get them done for the real game. It's not like there wasn't enough advance notice.

Archived