Cubs/Braves Throwback Game

no97

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue on the jersey's Cubs logo is the traditional blue (as well as the Majestic logo). I got a close look because I allowed myself to fall for the marketing trick, picked one up (most I've paid for a jersey in a long time) and compared it to the other jerseys in my closet when I got home. What can I say... got caught up in the moment. (Great win.)

A look at that dark cap and the numbers:

39924033.jpg

39924057.jpg

More photos from the Trib

And if they wore the normal cap with these jerseys I'd much prefer them as a home alt over the blue ones.

The cap the Cubs are wearing is unlike any available in the team shop (or any I remember seeing elsewhere). Add in that it seems so much darker (again, from the seats) and in this case I actually think the color and logo of the helmet actually make for a better complete look. The caps almost look like a Reds or Indians throwback.

Looking at the caps at CubWorld.com, it sort of looks like a hybrid of this one and this one.

The blue on the jersey's Cubs logo is the traditional blue (as well as the Majestic logo). I got a close look because I allowed myself to fall for the marketing trick, picked one up (most I've paid for a jersey in a long time) and compared it to the other jerseys in my closet when I got home. What can I say... got caught up in the moment. (Great win.)

A look at that dark cap and the numbers:

39924033.jpg

39924057.jpg

More photos from the Trib

And if they wore the normal cap with these jerseys I'd much prefer them as a home alt over the blue ones.

I like these, but not as an alt. That whole, "Let's just make a throwback an alt" thing bugs me. Throwbacks should be rare, in my opinion.

I like these, but not as an alt. That whole, "Let's just make a throwback an alt" thing bugs me. Throwbacks should be rare, in my opinion.

You're right... I prefer them to the blue at home, but I'd rather see further tweaks before adding it on a regular basis. A modernization of this in some way (of course, that's what the current homes are, essentially this jersey's evolution). So maybe just leaving it at this is best. I wouldn't mind seeing them do this with different years once a year.

The cap the Cubs are wearing is unlike any available in the team shop (or any I remember seeing elsewhere). Add in that it seems so much darker (again, from the seats) and in this case I actually think the color and logo of the helmet actually make for a better complete look. The caps almost look like a Reds or Indians throwback.

Looking at the caps at CubWorld.com, it sort of looks like a hybrid of this one and this one.

Exactly... either of those caps say "Cubs" to me more than the combo of the two. I'd love to hear how this version came to be chosen, but I doubt we'll get that explanation.

You're right... I prefer them to the blue at home, but I'd rather see further tweaks before adding it on a regular basis. A modernization of this in some way (of course, that's what the current homes are, essentially this jersey's evolution). So maybe just leaving it at this is best. I wouldn't mind seeing them do this with different years once a year.

I've gotta agree with BJ on this one. The 40s-style throwbacks were an absolute treat to see in action, but I could go another five years or so without seeing them and be just fine.

The more rare these throwback-style games are, the more special they feel to the fans. A prime example is Milwaukee's Friday ball-in-glove throwback day. Sure, the 1982 Brewers throwbacks were good to see the first time around. However, now that it's a permanent thing, they have no meaning to them at all. I wanna say the Blue Jays are starting to do the same thing now, making their 80-style throwbacks a weekly thing. I can't say I'm really a fan of that idea and would completely disapprove if the Cubs decided to go the same route.

6uXNWAo.png

If I were a betting man, I figure we'll see the following at some point:

-1914 cub-with-bat cap (seems like that logo's our version of the Brew's bal in glove...most Cubs fans seem to either have a cap with that logo or have always wanted one. i've long wanted one.)

-1908 home uniform...heh, I recall a game last year, I noticed a guy near the front row wearing the 1908 cap and jersey. looked quite nice, actually. I was secretly hoping he pulled a Ronnie Woowoo and had the pants and stirrups to match, though I doubt it.

-60s-70s home uniform

-80s home uniform

-80s road uniform

-1940s home vests

-pull a Blue Jays and wear the pinstriped powder blues at home

these are all just hunches though...anyways, glad to hear I aint the only one who thought the caps were off somewhat. beautiful uniform otherwise, it annoyed me how much the caps looked like some other team's (namely the Tribe)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

-1914 cub-with-bat cap (seems like that logo's our version of the Brew's bal in glove...most Cubs fans seem to either have a cap with that logo or have always wanted one. i've long wanted one.)

-1908 home uniform...heh, I recall a game last year, I noticed a guy near the front row wearing the 1908 cap and jersey. looked quite nice, actually. I was secretly hoping he pulled a Ronnie Woowoo and had the pants and stirrups to match, though I doubt it.

-60s-70s home uniform

-80s home uniform

-80s road uniform

-1940s home vests

these are all just hunches though...anyways, glad to hear I aint the only one who thought the caps were off somewhat. beautiful uniform otherwise, it annoyed me how much the caps looked like some other team's (namely the Tribe)

I don't know. Two things to consider here. First is that this was the first ever throwback game at Wrigley, and the Cubs have only done one or two other times before on the road. I wouldn't go laying down much money that they'd suddenly start doing this every year. They other thing is the new owner. If it's someone like Mark Cubin, he certainly knows the value of selling throwback jerseys - and I'm not sure that's a good thing...

Moose

Just clicked on the links to see the b/w broadcast, and the 'hey hey' at the end. Absolutely awesome stuff!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

-60s-70s home uniform

-80s home uniform

-80s road uniform

-1940s home vests

I don't know. Two things to consider here. First is that this was the first ever throwback game at Wrigley, and the Cubs have only done one or two other times before on the road. I wouldn't go laying down much money that they'd suddenly start doing this every year. They other thing is the new owner. If it's someone like Mark Cubin, he certainly knows the value of selling throwback jerseys - and I'm not sure that's a good thing...

Moose

that's why I'm not a betting man :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I know I'm an old guy and things change, but THIS is the way a baseball game should look!

I've always thought the navy blue tomahawk on the Braves' jerseys looked much better than the red one on the modernized set. It really ties in to the other navy elements of the uni -- cap, sleeves, belt, and bottoms of socks (when you can see them).

The tomahawk was black, actually. Not navy.

Here's a larger video of the black-and-white telecast - classy all the way. I love it.

Archived