Cubs/Braves Throwback Game

no97

I don't think the numbers are accurate, but I'm ok with that. I prefer the Cubs font and I like this as a clear one-off. Check the Cubs site for a M+N 1948 road and you'll see the block font they apparently used that year. A sleeveless home from an earlier year used the same.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm an old guy and things change, but THIS is the way a baseball game should look!

I've always thought the navy blue tomahawk on the Braves' jerseys looked much better than the red one on the modernized set. It really ties in to the other navy elements of the uni -- cap, sleeves, belt, and bottoms of socks (when you can see them).

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

The cap the Cubs are wearing is unlike any available in the team shop (or any I remember seeing elsewhere). Add in that it seems so much darker (again, from the seats) and in this case I actually think the color and logo of the helmet actually make for a better complete look. The caps almost look like a Reds or Indians throwback.

The Braves really do look nice, even though the tweaks are fairly subtle. And actually using stirrups is a nice touch not always seen in throwback games.

Those Chicago throwbacks are ace!

I'm also feelin the old school WGN graphics, as well as mixing in a couple B&W innings. Very classy.

Now if the Cubs could only comeback and get the series sweep....

6uXNWAo.png

Just turned it on the the 9th/10th and its pretty badass! The throwback angles, graphics, and sounds are a great touch. Even when Edmonds homered in the bottom of the 9th they zoomed in and out all crazy and put up HEY graphics real big on the screen. WGN gets an A for effort today!

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

I saw the jerseys on sale last night at Wrigleyville Sports (I think, maybe it was Cubs World... I'm just visiting), but not the caps. But the caps look a little dark, don't they?

BTW, OT, but Wrigley is the best place for baseball, whether or not you have tickets. I hope I have a chance to come back here soon!

(and Fukudome is my Homie!)

Words can not describe how bad the Braves are on the road.
If they somehow win this one, I'd be willing toi bet the Braves wear these again.

Guess not!

It's awe-inspiring, really. I still blame the blue jerseys.

Actually, I blame the lack of vertically-arched nameplates. With them, they won 13 straight division titles, and nothing since getting rid of them.

Man, the stirrups are everywhere, and they are glorious.

This should be some sort of league rule or state law. They just look so freakin' perfect I can't believe they ever went out of style. Just perfection.

I know I'm an old guy and things change, but THIS is the way a baseball game should look!

I've always thought the navy blue tomahawk on the Braves' jerseys looked much better than the red one on the modernized set. It really ties in to the other navy elements of the uni -- cap, sleeves, belt, and bottoms of socks (when you can see them).

I completely agree that the darker tomahawk is the way to go. I've always preferred that since I first became aware that they used to do it that way.

Just turned it on the the 9th/10th and its pretty badass! The throwback angles, graphics, and sounds are a great touch. Even when Edmonds homered in the bottom of the 9th they zoomed in and out all crazy and put up HEY graphics real big on the screen. WGN gets an A for effort today!

Hey Hey!!

(That was fun to hear again, as I grew up in Chicago in the 60's.)

And it's all made perfect by the Cubs coming back to win in the end. An all-American day at the all-American ballpark. Can it get any better than that?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

That typewriter sound you heard in the first two innings was coming from an actual vintage typewriter that the Cubs' must have had for decades and they broke it back out again for taking game notes for today's game. When they showed the camera shot of the press box you could see the note-taker typing. They even had the original Cubs' note-taker who used to work the same typewriter decades ago as a guest in the booth. If anybody watched the pregame show, you could have seen Len and Bob in their 1948 attire complete with wool vests and fedoras. Of course they both took them off after the first inning due to it being in the nineties today. Overall this was a fun game to watch and not even for the action going on on the field.

I've always thought the navy blue tomahawk on the Braves' jerseys looked much better than the red one on the modernized set.

Absolutely agree there.

metslogo_215.gif

Go to a modernized version of the caps (the circular "C" rather than the wishbone), and I could live with a return to these full-time for the Cubbies. I really grew to love them as the game went on...

Moose

The stirrups were glorious, but I still prefer the current pinstriped uniforms and circular C. The red stripes on the blue socks would be a great modern addition.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived