United States Soccer Federation

chestnutz

Ok, updates. I rolled with the oval idea which the general consensus said to stick with. I added a thin white arc that seperates the red and white from the blue, which I think improves it a lot, and also changed the curve from going down like a ditch to going up like a hill. I tried the silver, but just couldn't find a place for it and it just looked too forced. My two favorites are the two on the bottom, where one I also included several more stars. Lemme know what you think

USSFcrest2svg.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work on these, my favourites would have to be the top right, the bottom left, and the one in the middle is pretty nice too. I would see how it looks making the thin line silver and keeping the outline white. Also I think that there is such a thing as too many stars.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

I like the one in the middle looks good, but I personally think they looked better without the text. The separation between the blue and the stripes works well, maybe you could go the whole way and make the white arc a uniform thickness. Still think you can get more out of using silver, the best example I'm thinking of is the Toronto logo. Now whether this would work for this concept I'm not sure, but i think it would go a long way towards creating some highlight and depth, taking your design to the next level.

So far, my favorite is the oval with USA and the nine stars. Could you do that with with the same separator as is shown in the latest update?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

No way on the sideways versions, too close to Puerto Rico.

I'm just not feeling any of these, really. Too much Serie A, not enough USSF. And, why nine stars? Thirteen would make more sense.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't think any of these are an improvement over what the US team wears now. They look more like logos I'd find in FIFA 08 for teams who didn't give permission to use their crests.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well, it seems some people really like it, and some hate it. Not sure if I should just start over or just start making uniforms. I like the simplicity of it, and just because it's an oval doesn't make it look that Italian, I don't think.

spacer.png

Well, it seems some people really like it, and some hate it. Not sure if I should just start over or just start making uniforms. I like the simplicity of it, and just because it's an oval doesn't make it look that Italian, I don't think.

Juventus2.gif

It's not the oval that makes it look Italian, its the way you designed the elements that makes it look a lot like this badge...

You are on the right track, in that simple is best, but these badges aren't all that exciting. In essence, what you done is taken the "US with the motion soccer ball" out of the current crest and inverted the red and blue. This is a vast improvement, but not different enough to "wow" anyone.

I think what you've done is great, and demonstrates that you have immense talent, but I think you should distance yourself completely from our current crest, and put forth a whole new concept.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Thanks for the critiques, I agree that it does look a little like the Juventus crest. I guess things just stick in your mind sometimes. The only real similarity though is that it's an oval with stripes. Not too similar IMO.

Thanks bachmann, but I'm not sure how I can do too much without it looking like our current crest. The only similarity there is stars and stripes, and I think it's impossible to do a USA soccer crest without stars and stripes.

spacer.png

Thanks bachmann, but I'm not sure how I can do too much without it looking like our current crest. The only similarity there is stars and stripes, and I think it's impossible to do a USA soccer crest without stars and stripes.

I see your point. Doing a quick Google image search, I found this: USA shield

While I think this crest looks like crap, I do like the way the blue field and stripes are oriented (more or less like our flag). Maybe a different shape to the crest, or playing with the number of stars might look nice. Anyway, just trying to help with the inspiration.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Is there some reason we just can't use the crest that is in the seal?

I like the idea of using a simplified/modernized version of the seal, but I can see how a more traditional "shield" provides continuity.

I actually saw a logo for a US Soccer supporter's group called the American Outlaws, today, that is kind of on the right track:

1205450755_jeremy.jpg

Obviously, the two-headed eagle bit wouldn't make a lot of sense, but it certainly makes me think that the seal could be used.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Is there some reason we just can't use the crest that is in the seal?
I like the idea of using a simplified/modernized version of the seal, but I can see how a more traditional "shield" provides continuity.

I actually saw a logo for a US Soccer supporter's group called the American Outlaws, today, that is kind of on the right track:

[PICTURE]

Obviously, the two-headed eagle bit wouldn't make a lot of sense, but it certainly makes me think that the seal could be used.

I concur wholeheartedly. A few elements of the Great Seal should be used in a USA soccer crest, including the eagle. It's our freaking mascot.

And I think I know why a two-headed eagle is depicted in this particular logo. As you can see, the eagles in both the Great Seal and this logo hold an olive branch and arrows in either foot, symbolizing peace and war, respectively. The eagle on the Great Seal faces the side holding the olive branch but still holds onto the arrows, symbolizing the "American Way" of always striving for peace before going to war. (Please, keep political comments to oneself.) In fact, I once heard that during times of war or great distress, the carpet in the Oval Office featuring the normal Great Seal is exchanged for one where the eagle faces the leg holding the arrows. I'd imagine that this "American Outlaws" logo is conveying an attitude of rebellion, exemplifying the way of the American soccer fan.

[/semi-irrelevant-and-almost-useless knowledge]

EDIT: I just now found and visited the AO's site. It explains everything I just said on the front page. Hmm.

That's crazy you mention that because the other day I was looking at the American outlaws logos and saw that exact picture and thought to myself how great that would be. Also, the banner on the homepage has a Barcelona-esque badge that looks very nice IMO.

spacer.png

Archived