CCSLC Apprentice: Blue Team

GFB

^^^

my only problem with the above design is that I am afraid the O is getting too busy with too many elements. while i like the look of it, i just feel the "bulls eye theme" gets lost.

I do like the colors you have used (except for the very top scheme, the dark bronze with that khaky bugs me for some reason) and think those could work, depending on the direction the group wants to go. The colors you have chosen say FIRM, PROFESSIONAL, EXPERIENCE, SOLID...where as the colors I choose in the original were more of a professional/creative/youth look. I think either could work.

Thanks. I kinda felt that way about the O as well but I wasn't sure how others would see it. What do you think should go? Maybe the bulls-eye on the O, but leave the arrow? I mean I think it could pass as is but if someone could improve on it, by all means.

The colors, that's kind of what I was aiming for, so thanks. I really like your colors and they work really well, so the only reason I chose a new palette is to see which direction the group wanted to go in. Though I'm not sure how each logo would work with the other color scheme.

Please guys, any opinions or critiques chime in as you wish.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think an actual bullseye area could be introduced with the arrow...but i am not so sure i like the "^" above the "O". for one thing, it almost seems as if it trying to be a phonetic symbol for the O instead of imagery saying "the top" or an arrow itself. i am going to slow down at work and see if i can adjust a few things, try a few color combinations, and see what happens...

eh, I like the idea but once I tried it...I didn't like it at all. It looked out of place and clumsy. Anyways, below I tried to show a few different color options and I also tried to show where I made the dart look a little more realistic in design- but, personally, it didn't turn out great and I like it how it was originally. The original (while not perfectly dart-shaped) is more bold and pleasing to the eyes. Introducing a thin point makes it appear sloppy.

As far as the colors, most of them are just random that I thought looked okay together. I really like the black and yellow together for some reason...it is very solid and stands out. Also, I like the orange/tangerine looking color. No company I can think of (maybe cingular was close to it) really uses a bright orange in their scheme and I think it could work...especially contrasted with the black (or maybe even a dark blue/navy). Also, for some reason, the basic grey and black looked well together...but that could always be any grayscale of whatever color scheme we choose.

Again, I am open to all suggestions, critiques, and comments. If anyone has some nifty ideas that they can't quite express by hand or on a computer...I'll try my best to get it down so we can see some other options if what we have shown so far isn't working.

optimus_logo_2.jpg

optimuslogo.png

I'm thinking Optimus Corporation is our best bet...and we could use this logo. ColaCock, you could probably make this cleaner. I don't have the font you used, so I fudged around with the O to make the C so I could interlock them. I like the way it looks and I'm liking the green/light blue color scheme, but wouldn't mind navy/light blue.

Ya know what is funny is I thought about this exact look on the way to work this morning...then saw you had posted it. Unfortunately, I quickly went away from the idea when I realized it was VERY close to the "Orange County" or "The OC" television series logo- and I certainly didn't think we wanted to be related to that in any way. Still, I do like the way it runs together.

I have to say I really am sold on this concept. The only thing I would change would be use a grey/charcoal colour (but not silver) dart with the orange text. Aside from that here's why i think it works so well:

- The colours really stand out, the bright orange looks great

- The text looks clean and modern, and is also versitile in that we can use that font on our business cards/presentations and everything will flow nicely. We couldn't do this with a "crazier" font

- The single "O" logo is amazing. Really simple but really effective, it's instantly recognisable.

I have a business card idea, I'll post it soon.

Ya know what...I never watched the OC, just because it sounded like a soap opera, so I figured to not even watch...but with some research, yes it looks way to similar so lets just scratch that. I like the vague dart better too. My favorite color schemes are green/light blue, navy/light blue, orange/black.

brewerssig.jpg

The only thing I would change would be use a grey/charcoal colour (but not silver) dart with the orange text.

Why didn't I think of that? Charcoal would certainly fit better than the black.

I'm gonna throw some business cards out there as well...

Ok here's what ive come up with for a business card, maybe it'll help decide once they've seen it in use. I went a bit out there with this, but I did do a bit of research, and this would be practical and certainly not the craziest business card i've come across.

optimuscard.png

ps. The drop shadow isn't part of the design, it's just to make it look more like an actual card.

EDIT: Ignore the colours, since I posted I realise they look really washed out. It's supposed to be the orange from the previous concepts, and a charcoal colour.

^^^

wow, I really like that a lot. it reminds me of one of our sales reps for Pantone- his card is in the pantone logo shape (which isn't as edgy as the yours) but it is designed in that same mindset and sets it apart from other business cards. would the employee contact info be on the back of it? i think it would be really cool if so. since i was already finished with mine, i will go ahead and show it as well although it is much more conventional.

Optimus_bizcard.jpg

eh, i just looked over at the other team and realized they are using orange and charcoal as well. had i noticed this...i wouldn't have ever suggested the color combo...but i also don't want to change it because i feel like it fits our image right now. if some of you feel we must, we need to come to a decision on that.

if we didn't go with orange, I suggest a light blue (light coral blue) and charcoal. but, i do like the orange color we are working with...and they are going with more of a red/orange while ours is like Tennessee Volunteer orange.

I checked their thread too, and if I'm honest I think it fits our identity better. And even if they disagree, I think it looks great for our identity regardless of what they're doing.

Really like your card, I think we're on the same wavelength with the minimal themes. Soon as I posted my last card i had a better idea, so here it is! It's front and back with all the info on the back. That way we can have a stirking first impression without text complicating things, then the relevant stuff is listed clearly on the reverse.

optimuscard2.png

ATTENTION!!!!

Just remembered to mention this. The deadline that I wanted all the work by is coming up soon, but i think we'll let it slide. We don't have all the elements yet, but I think we're pretty close. Also I won't have as much time as I thought I would to put this together, so I'll be doing it closer to the deadline.

I especially like ColaCock's idea. William, I like yours a lot too but I think the main thing that needs to be fixed is the text placement. It looks.. wrong on both of yours so far.

One thing I think we need to agree on are the exact colors. Cause Kurtis is using a lighter charcoal than William, and william is using an almost brownish charcoal and a lighter orange. And my colors are a bit different from both of you (the orange/charcoal).

But I think we're really moving on the right track.

^^^agreed.

we need to get some RGB values down.

William and my orange colors are pretty much the same, only a digit or two off.

R: 246

G: 147

B: 30

for the orange is what I used.

My charcoal is:

R: 152

G: 152

B: 152

William's is:

R: 107

G: 98

B: 90

Which charcoal do you all like? The lighter or darker? I think both work well so it doesn't matter to me. What about the orange? Does everyone even agree on the orange or do you feel we should move in another direction?

I think you're probably right about the text, but I still want to keep a minimal, alternative feel. My starting point was to have something the reader/client could interact with, move around in their hands to find all the elements of the design.

As for the colours, I'm not sure either. I'm using these colours:

Orange

R 247

G 147

B 30

Grey/Charcoal

R 107

G 98

B 90

My monitor is very unreliable though, so what look to me to be the colours I want could be different on your monitors.

Hmmm, this is complicated. GBM, I think your orange is too red, but then when I change the colour back to mine it looks dull and dirty. I do like your grey colour though. Anyone else got any thoughts?

ps. I'm signing off for tonight, if an exact colour scheme gets decided, I'm sure it will be a good one. If anyone has any other ideas, we havent got long left so now's the time to post them!

Archived