CCSLC Apprentice: Blue Team

GFB

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I've come up with for the layout design. I've used ideas from the business cards earlier in the thread, hope you guys don't mind. This needs refined but it should give everyone an idea of the direction I was taking. Also, it uses the darker charcoal (77/77/77) which I think works really well.

optimuslayout.png

Colors are great, has my vote.

That letterhead looks fantastic...it was something along the lines I was doing in relation with the business card I did. Keep it.

I also agree on the business card, I like the white front with charcoal background. A charcoal front just wouldn't be vibrant enough.

As far as cleaning up the logo...my arrow doesn't exactly look that way...it doesn't thin out towards the point and the actual point is even. Did you vector it yourself? I could send you my original vector if you'd like.

Also, I don't think the "O" should be thickened at all- it would cause an imbalance with the rest of the wordmark. If we used just the single logo, the "O" COULD be made thicker, but even in that case, I still don't see it as necessary.

William...make sure you do put the logo and its variations in the presentation layout aside from the full wordmark.

The main logo I've been using is from that sample AI file that was posted, if you have the finished article send it my way. If you've got anything you want mentioned in the presentation as to how you came up with the design, post that here too. Same goes with everybody, I'll put putting everything together soon, so if there's something that you feel will give the judges a more complete picture, get it posted.

The layout design isn't something along the line of your business card, it essentially IS your business card. I liked it a lot so wanted to use it somewhere in our identity, and there are elements of GBM's card in there too.

We're right at the end now, so for me to get this presentation done I need all this stuff sorted. I'll put together the stuff I think is most popular and post it. If you like it all say so, if not pick out the bits you don't like and what needs changed. I'll be online all the way up to the deadline, so any major issues should get sorted out.

OK I've posted below what I will use in the final presentation (this isn't how the final presentation will look, this is just to show the team), unless anyone can think of any problems or changes etc. I keep saying this, but there ain't much time left so any objections, post fast!

The only things left to change with this from my end are making a landscape version on the layout, and getting the final logo from ColaCock. I think our official name should just be "Optimus" meaning we can be flexible with the subtitle depending on the challenge.

I'll be starting the presentation as soon as I post this, so if you don't get online in time to raise any issues, I'm sorry but time's up!

identitysheet1.png

identitysheet2.png

alright, looks good.

I am going to e-mail you the vector file so you can make the changes to clean up that arrow. The one I send should be fine.

As far as the story behind it, it happened just like I mentioned earlier in this thread. Optimus made me think "optimal" which was the best you could get...the ultimate in a particular field. Well I was out at a bar and saw a dart board...then it hit me. The dart board was in the shape of an "O" and I saw the BULLSEYE which was the ultimate in shooting darts- the very center of it all.

Sounds good, I'll stick it in the presentation.

Here's a landscape version of the layout. Think it works, but the design does limit the space, so I might try again. Would really like to see if anybody came up with anything else for the layout or business card, I don't want to force mine on everyone.

layoutlandscape.png

Wow, that's all awesome! I love the letterhead and business card (still not 100% on the text, but it will be fine) and everything! Fantastic.

Honestly the version 2 of Landscape looks really nice but my eye is immediately drawn to the bottom left corner of white. I think we should go with Version1 if you fix that straight line in the top left of the charcoal area... or maybe make the charcoal areas on Version 2 on the left and right instead of left and bottom... just a thought.

But again, that's great stuff you have there. Thanks.

Version 2:

layoutlandscape-1.png

Use this layout, I like the landscape...but eliminate the lower right box completely and try to implement that text somewhere else as text alone- maybe going up the right side of the page? Also, try to use the style with the box that you did with the first one...but on the second one (where you cut it off at an angle instead of extending it). That should provide more room and will flow better on the eyes.

Went without the landscape, thought it may need a little too much work in a short time. The presentation is up! I did forget loads of stuff in the talky part, so I've had to keep going back and editing it. Hopefully its sorted now though, and does everyone's great work justice!

Ford, GM, Wal-Mart, Dell, Verizon, Alltel, AT&T, Target, Microsoft, Home Depot...etc etc, you get my point...most companies stick to one main color and I think it is for a reason, you can form a memorable identity with it.

Personally, I think I am just going to stick with liking the #3 orange with the charcoal color.

Obviously too late to gripe about this, but I just saw the red team's designs, and as predicted, they used pretty much the same colors. Sorry for trying to suggest something that the other team wasn't already doing...

Also, plenty of companies use multiple colors, like Taco Bell. I was also thinking of it like a sports team with three colors, two primaries and an accent.

While we've already received compliments for our color scheme, and as a member of the team I will defend it, we still had enough time upon realizing that we had the same colors that we could have changed. I'm going to be sick of orange and charcoal for years now that it will be in every CCSLC Apprentice presentation. And while we know neither one was stolen from the other team, and I'm sure no one will accuse us of such, it was noted that they'll probably use those colors back on page 3, I think, and we haven't seriously considered a change beyond just throwing ideas in the air.

What I could do is ask GFB if we can change or colours (if that's what the majority of people want), not for the first challenge, but for our later presentations. I still really like our colour scheme, and think it looks great for the first challenge, but we could change it for later entries.

We can try a couple of different schemes to see what works, and only change if something really does work and everyone agrees on it.

I wouldn't imagine changing ours now. It seems to be working for us. I was just a little upset that the other team had the same colors, and while we noted that they might, we did nothing substantial to rework ours.

I'm fine with what we have. I was just responding to CC's last reply to my color choices that he seemed to find inappropriate, but no one was offering anything else. He was championing orange and charcoal, so I just threw it out there that we do something different.

Our color scheme is fine, and I'm sure it will look great in any further challenges.

Archived