CCSLC Apprentice: Blue Team

GFB

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm... I actually love the green/blue, feels very modern and classy...

how about orange/charcoal?

Then on Saturday they're doing an orange and charcoal based set.

:evil:

And as far as the color scheme, I really like the darker charcoal and light orange of your card, William.

Well, I have to hand it to you! I remember that post actually. :notworthy::P

Seeing all those combos is really kind of mesmerizing. should we have some sort of vote? I personally like your guys' orange better than mine, but I prefer darker charcoal. And as a "wild/spicy" scheme, lime greenish (I got 171/200/55) and maroon aren't bad actually. Just a thought.

Here are a couple of quick ideas in response to William's interesting shape. These are more along the lines of the standard fit of a business card, yet unique enough so as to incorporate the logo element and really stand out.

I'd like to see someone pick up one of these and run with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/ShinyHubCaps/Ex1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/ShinyHubCaps/Ex2.png

It could be modified as well where the edge of the arrow is at the left edge of the rectangular portion... in fact, I'll work on that. I think in the rules of the contest, it would be within reason. It would be different if we were actually printing them, though.

EDIT: Here it is. I really think that this should be the shape, even if someone wants to modify the dimensions somewhat. I'll try some different face patterns on it tomorrow. Hopefully someone will have started with the layout design by then.

BusinessCard.png

Because of complaints, I'm proposing the deadline to be extended 12 hours until Wednesday at noon (Eastern Time). William, if you could give me a yes (if your team is for extending the deadline) or no (if against extending) vote for your team, that would be great...

It could be modified as well where the edge of the arrow is at the left edge of the rectangular portion... in fact, I'll work on that. I think in the rules of the contest, it would be within reason. It would be different if we were actually printing them, though.

EDIT: Here it is. I really think that this should be the shape, even if someone wants to modify the dimensions somewhat. I'll try some different face patterns on it tomorrow. Hopefully someone will have started with the layout design by then.

BusinessCard.png

I really like that shape idea. I was trying to get it earlier but couldn't get it quite right in Inkscape so I settled for rounded corners. I think that would look really cool as something not so "novel" as william's, but in the same idea. I really think that has potential.

Oh and if we're extending the deadline I most likely won't be able to do anything for those 12 hours because as I mentioned earlier, it is my birthday and I will be out somewhere. I'll try to do as much as I can tomorrow though.

I feel like we're pretty close; and yet pretty far. :P

I don't want to be the one to shoot down the business card idea above, but I'm just not for it. I don't think it would work well, and not just because of printing issues...it is physically a weak design. Think about how easily that arrow stem would rip off after it was placed into a wallet or even handled a few times. I can only imagine how it would appear.

The reason William's radical design would work better than that is simply due to the proportion of the arrow tail in comparison with the "O" or rest of the shape of the business card. It would hold up slightly better. If not that, then I think we are best going with a standard business card size or at least something more practical in shape.

Oh and sorry about the color matching in the above logos I did...I was moving them around and probably just got confused or misplaced them while doing it.

OK guys, I'm back! I really didn't think being task manager would get so tense near the end, but the team has been awesome to work with so far, making my job a hell of a lot easier. So, on to business!

Colours

This need to be locked right now. I know we can probably change colours right up until the deadline, but making a business card and layout would be a lot easier if we had everything else set in stone. I'll post a vote type thing after this post.

Business Card

Now I hope you won't hold it against me that I'm biased towards my own design, but hear me out on a few points.

- It doesn't look like a business card, but why should it? Business cards are rectangular because that's what people are used to, feel safe with. We want to show we are forward thinking, and not confined by conventional rules. Check out this site and you'll see this is certainly not the weirdest card out there.

- Practicality issues. In reality, there are none. Check out another site. I dont think we'd have a problem with tearing etc, and even if we did, as long as all the information on the back was contained within the "circle" the loss would be minimal.

That all said, if you plain don't like the design I can understand :D

Presentation Layout

I think the best plan for the time being is if you are happy with or have nothing to add to the business card, get working on the layout! If you want to see a real-life example, PM me your email address.

Other Ideas

If you think there is something else we can do to show off our identity (time permitting) then let's hear about it. I don't know what it could be, but if it's good it might add to our final presentation. Any other issues you can think of (still not happy with the logo, bit late now... :P ) it's getting late...

I've got tomorrow off work, so I should be in till the end. Keep checking the thread, even if you can only do so for 5 minutes. There might be something important that needs addressed/voted on before the deadline.

Well I'm fine in moving on with your business card. but like I said, I think the text is all that needs work. Keep trying other things with text on it cause now I don't think it looks so great, but as an overall idea it's fantastic.

As far as colors go, I like the 3rd option (with the correct charcoal listed in palette) and if we are going with something other than orange I like option #5 with the greenish/sea green color.

William, I PMed you my e-mail address so you can send me the presentation layout. I also made a suggestion for something else I thought we could add that would actually be pretty easy to do.

Here are my suggestions for the colors. The top two would be the primary (i.e. the ones used in the logo itself) and the third is for accents on anything else, such as the business card. They aren't exactly the same as ones mentioned, but they are similar to ones that others have brought up. Also, I left out the charcoal because it is bland, whereas the other colors pop against the look of the logo and wordmark.

Colors.png

with those colors combined I think of 80's/early 90's, slap-on bracelets, or Fresh Prince of Belair...or that time frame...Vanilla Ice...etc etc

I just think one color would be fine for the identity along with a charcoal to tone it down. There aren't too many company logos that use more than two colors. While I like each one, I just REALLY don't like them all together.

Ford, GM, Wal-Mart, Dell, Verizon, Alltel, AT&T, Target, Microsoft, Home Depot...etc etc, you get my point...most companies stick to one main color and I think it is for a reason, you can form a memorable identity with it.

Personally, I think I am just going to stick with liking the #3 orange with the charcoal color.

Another possibilities for the presentation, assuming we get the colors locked down(running list, so anyone who wishes to add to this may):

- Letterhead

- Envelope

Also, something I just noticed about the logo, that had never hit me before (the O logo, without the rest of the wordmark)-

It reminds me of the Male Symbol.

I think, considering the makeup of the team, that isn't a bad thing(or do we have a female that I didn't notice :lol:)

It reminds me of the Male Symbol.

I saw this at the beginning but nobody said anything so I figured it was all well and good. I guess it's a good thing we have the all-male team :D

In addition to your ideas, which I think would be fine on their own, maybe we could make a box for computer software or a DVD featuring our logo on it if we have time. We would just make the cover. (go to Google and search IMANDIX to see what I'm talking about. Very cool stuff.)

optimusos.png

These are just 4 combos I liked; one is a lighter version of my charcoal and one is the charcoal from #1 and #3 above. the top 2 are brown, which struck me today and I think would look really really good; especially the top right. any opinions?

Apologies for not sending the layout yet, I've been occupied for the last couple of hours. Will get it off in the next five minutes.

Those all sound like great ideas for extra examples of our brand. My suggestion would be to work on your idea seperately, then we'll collect them all together, see if there's anything we think we can use, and make any suggested changes. But for now let's get the logo and presentation locked, so...

We've had a good while to discuss this, so I'm putting it to a vote. This is pretty important so don't PM me, post your vote here so the judges can see what's what.

Vote YES or NO on the design below for choice of logo and colour scheme. This seems to be the favourite so far, so that's what I've put to the vote. If you vote NO you better have a good alternative. I don't want to sound harsh or take the fun out of this for anyone, but i think everyone will agree that if this isn't what we're gonna use we need to find something else fast.

logosheet.png

NO, only because I think the arrow needs to be fine-tuned (looks like it gets skinnier and is uneven), and I think the isolated "O" should be a bit thicker.

Otherwise, I guess the colors can work if the majority likes them better, so YES if that's what people like. Can't wait to see the layout.

Archived