Southern Miss Helmet Tweak

jimsimo

High school teams have been doing this for years with athletic tape on their facemasks to form crosses,X's, and I've even seen a skull motif before, and personally I always thought it looked like crap and somehow made them look like they were playing for a prison team...and I always thought about how, if I were the coach, no one would have tape on their facemasks. It's pretty common-place around here (the South) or was...I haven't been to many games in the past few years since my car accident. BUT with that being said it looks like SoMiss just took that basic idea and streamlined it into actual decals. The way these are done I think I can live with, but in all honesty I really hope it doesn't catch on.

98Falcons.png

High school teams have been doing this for years with athletic tape on their facemasks to form crosses,X's, and I've even seen a skull motif before, and personally I always thought it looked like crap and somehow made them look like they were playing for a prison team...and I always thought about how, if I were the coach, no one would have tape on their facemasks. It's pretty common-place around here (the South) or was...I haven't been to many games in the past few years since my car accident. BUT with that being said it looks like SoMiss just took that basic idea and streamlined it into actual decals. The way these are done I think I can live with, but in all honesty I really hope it doesn't catch on.

Yeah, not quite the same. These are actual decals. Not athletic tape.

I'm not a fan of this. Even if it were the entire team wearing these decals, they'd get so beat up being on the fron of the facemask. It would probably look like crap on half the team after only the first game.

Downgrade USM.

CCSLC Signature.jpg

I'm not a fan of this. Even if it were the entire team wearing these decals, they'd get so beat up being on the fron of the facemask. It would probably look like crap on half the team after only the first game.

Downgrade USM.

If Southern Miss is like most D-1 schools, they probably replace the facemasks and any decals that are knicked up during a game. I had friends that worked at Mississippi State and every Thursday before games they had to make helmets look like new, whether that meant replacing the helmet stripe, actual hardware on the helmet, the facemask, or even giving them entirely new helmets. I'm sure most other programs that are on TV on a regular basis do the same thing.

Downgrade USM.

Not a downgrade, a nuisance at worst, but not a downgrade. It doesn't really affect the overall look.

If Southern Miss is like most D-1 schools, they probably replace the facemasks and any decals that are knicked up during a game. I had friends that worked at Mississippi State and every Thursday before games they had to make helmets look like new, whether that meant replacing the helmet stripe, actual hardware on the helmet, the facemask, or even giving them entirely new helmets. I'm sure most other programs that are on TV on a regular basis do the same thing.

Trust me, they do. And those seem like they would be a bitch to redo every week.

I know I did that back when I played. It was only two rolls of tape on each side, nothing like the tape art that you've seen in your parts. :P

But yeah, I guess it's kinda cool that they're doing it to make it official. I guess if this just stays a small thing, it'll be cool. Adds a little bit of tradition to the Eagles, if they have to earn it. On the flipside, I think my uncle would like it, seeing as how he's alumni and a HUGE USM fan.

That said, mghelmets was ontop of it. Good job!

southern-miss.gif

That is so bush league. The idea that we have to cover every open space with something is loopy. Southern Miss should put the effort into upgrading their overall uniform design and logo, which are, and have been, terrible.

FsQiF2W.png

I don't see how those will catch on. It looks like it will be a pain for the equipment staff week in and week out. It's hard enough replacing decals on helmet week in and week out. I can only imagine how much of a pain it will be to replace the stickers on the masks.

I don't see how those will catch on. It looks like it will be a pain for the equipment staff week in and week out. It's hard enough replacing decals on helmet week in and week out. I can only imagine how much of a pain it will be to replace the stickers on the masks.

If Notre Dame can paint their helmets gold each week...someone can reapply stickers each week.

im not really for it, but when we had to do it in high school, it wasnt for fashion, it was because there couldnt be exposed metal on the helmets, and the rubber would wear off the face masks, so we would have to tape the exposed parts, but we usuall used the same color tape as our facemasks, but maybe some teams arent as priveliged, and have to use white tape?

Picture21.png

I think it looks bush. No matter who played, you'd have to replace all of them each week. A waste of time. I did that in college and we only replaced helmet decalse when we absolutely had to or if it was a guy we liked and wanted to look good each week. Gashes were the biggest issue.

Archived