Re-examining the Buffalo Sabres

Lalalaloser

A couple of things on the Slug.

1) I think that if they had just used the head and not tried to make it an "abstract" design, it would have been an unqualified success. I don't think a full body would have worked, but some kind of logical cut-off point would have made sense, like either just the head, or maybe some sort of wordmark obscuring the bottom half, making it look like it was being cut off (much like the old Carolina Panthers wordmark, where there was a cross-section of sorts).

Even the head is rendered poorly. Look at the horns - there's no reason that the left horn (the viewer's right) should be that color. Also, they would have been going from one buffalo head to another. Also(2), it doesn't change the fact that the team is the "Sabres", not the "Buffaloes."

2) If the Sabres had won the Stanley Cup that year (as they should have! :mad: ), no one would be hating on the Slug, because the logo would have been synonymous with victory (kind of like the corny Colorado Avalanche logo has escaped criticism cuz they won like 3 cups in their first 6 years in that logo). No one even talks about the Patriots' hideous logo anymore.

Couldn't disagree more. Team performance has nothing to do with the merits of a design. Especially around here. Anyone who really feels that way should join some fan board, and not a logos / design board.

3) I love the idea of going back to the classic logo with an updated spin, with the current blue/gold colors, and use the Slug as a secondary logo. I think there is something about the Slug that kind of works, but it's the abstract-looking tail that makes it look kind of silly.

I'm not sure it even works as a secondary logo, but I'd have to see what you're describing to make a fair assessment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I think could make the Slug logo incorporate the Sabres as well is if it was no longer yellow in color and instead of the slug charging out of 'nothingness' it should morph out of a Sabre handle or something. A charging bison morphing out of the sword would better convey the speed and power of the team and would have been a better idea than just a streaking mollusk looking thing.

It offers more symbolism by demonstrating the speed and power of the at the 'tip of the spear' if you will...all along encompasing both bison and sabres like the original logo. As much as I hate the slug alone, something like this might...just might work for me.

So give it a more smoother looking arching angle and stick a sword handle up its a$$. And then maybe the word mark under the arch.

I would actually like to see some one do that as a concept.

I liked it when it came out, but I like it more now.

It's sharp, and I really think the Edge style makes a HUGE difference in regards to the jersey design.

BEFORE

PH2007042503071.jpg

AFTER

2099191363_23e18fd488.jpg

BTW, that pic js* posted... yuck. That logo STILL does not look good.

It's sharp, and I really think the Edge style makes a HUGE difference in regards to the jersey design.

BEFORE

PH2007042503071.jpg

AFTER

I never had a problem with the jersey styling...I like it alot. The logo to me still remains an issue. The only "improvement" is merely an aesthetic one in which RBK made with the logo visible by adding a thicker blue border around the slug with the white uniform.

mancari-macarthur.jpg

The Sabres logo remains unoriginal. We have a hockey and football team essentially with similar logos in terms of styling and design aspects. Charging, streaking bisons. And the Sabres' likeness has been negatively associated with many other things that are not Bison-like. It's something so bad to begin with that "growing to like it" is never possible. EDIT: At least for me!

SabresBills.jpg

Slugsketch.jpg

BEFORE

PH2007042503071.jpg

AFTER

I never had a problem with the jersey styling...I like it alot. The logo to me still remains an issue. The only "improvement" is merely an aesthetic one in which RBK made with the logo visible by adding a thicker blue border around the slug with the white uniform.

mancari-macarthur.jpg

The Sabres logo remains unoriginal. We have a hockey and football team essentially with similar logos in terms of styling and design aspects. Charging, streaking bisons. And the Sabres' likeness has been negatively associated with many other things that are not Bison-like. It's something so bad to begin with that "growing to like it" is never possible.

I agree that altering the border helped the look of the white jerseys a lot. It made the logo "pop" a bit more.

As far as your opinion, try to keep in mind that it IS just YOUR OPINION. A lot of people like the logo. I personally like the fact that you see the logo and think of Buffalo immediately, not just Sabres. The charging buffalo is our thing.

As far as your opinion, try to keep in mind that it IS just YOUR OPINION. A lot of people like the logo. I personally like the fact that you see the logo and think of Buffalo immediately, not just Sabres. The charging buffalo is our thing.

Great thing about the original logo, when you saw it, you thought of BUFFALO and SABRES, which is the point of a logo. The design was excellent, and has yet to be topped in the Sabres organization.

Praise it all you like, no one likes the slug.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Great thing about the original logo, when you saw it, you thought of BUFFALO and SABRES, which is the point of a logo. The design was excellent, and has yet to be topped in the Sabres organization.

Praise it all you like, no one likes the slug.

So, wait, if I like it, you can still say no one likes the logo? Wouldn't that be factually incorrect. I believe it would be?

But, of course, blanket statements like that are expected from people who complain about something.

I'm not gonna argue that the old logo was bad, but it is the old logo and was moved away from because merchandise sales were terrible. They changed, and merchandise sales picked up. There's a reason they stopped using it. And, in my opinion, they probably won't ever go back to using it full time forever, because they can use it as an alternate and appease the people who can't let go of the past. It's marketing. Learn to deal with it.

But no, the old logo was "classic". As is this one:

montreal_canadiens_logo.jpg

And tell me how you think of MONTREAL and CANADIENS for this "classic". I see a C and and H.

(I'm obviously playing devil's advocate for you jackasses who can't pick up on sarcasm)

I'm not gonna argue that the old logo was bad, but it is the old logo and was moved away from because merchandise sales were terrible. They changed, and merchandise sales picked up.

Do you have the figures to back this up? Or are you making a statement based on nothing but your desire to put the awful slug logo in a good light? Compare the numbers of the original logo's merchandise sales, the goathead sales, and the slug sales, and we'll continue the conversation from there.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'm not gonna argue that the old logo was bad, but it is the old logo and was moved away from because merchandise sales were terrible. They changed, and merchandise sales picked up.

Do you have the figures to back this up? Or are you making a statement based on nothing but your desire to put the awful slug logo in a good light? Compare the numbers of the original logo's merchandise sales, the goathead sales, and the slug sales, and we'll continue the conversation from there.

Considering the original was around for 25 or so years, the goathead for 10 or so, and the slug is going into its third season, its not really fair to try and compare, but truth is, the slug outsold any other jersey in its debut year. i do believe it set a new record.

2004RedSox.png

I personally really like the jersey design. Its something modern that works for me. Is it the best option, in my opinion? No. But sometimes you can't always be traditional.

With that said, the logo totally sucks, and I would prefer if they would just go 1970s retro. Period.

And wayy off topic, but eSabre...I'm loving the 3rd Man sig.

I think the logo with "SABRES" underneath it is actually really sharp. Gives the logo a more finished look and helps to balance out the arch of the bison.

I agree. I wouldn't say its really sharp, but it definitely looks better.

From the Buffalo News, March 4, 1997, in an article about the sales of the (then) new merchandise:

The team stands 13th among NHL teams in the ranking of NHL-licensed merchandise sold nationwide, according to league figures. Buffalo was No. 24 last year. (Detroit is No. 1). The team also has been told by apparel and equipment manufacturer CCM that the Sabres jersey is the fourth-best seller among NHL teams this season, said Julie Regan, Sabres director of merchandise.

There you go. Buffalo was 24th out of 26 in merchandise sales prior to the first change.

I'm not gonna act like they're keeping the gold buffalo forever, because I know they won't. Change is inevitable when you rely on merchandising revenue.

From the Buffalo News, March 4, 1997, in an article about the sales of the (then) new merchandise:

The team stands 13th among NHL teams in the ranking of NHL-licensed merchandise sold nationwide, according to league figures. Buffalo was No. 24 last year. (Detroit is No. 1). The team also has been told by apparel and equipment manufacturer CCM that the Sabres jersey is the fourth-best seller among NHL teams this season, said Julie Regan, Sabres director of merchandise.

There you go. Buffalo was 24th out of 26 in merchandise sales prior to the first change.

I'm not gonna act like they're keeping the gold buffalo forever, because I know they won't. Change is inevitable when you rely on merchandising revenue.

I'm sure the red and black look was near the bottom when they went back to the blue and gold...It really makes the team and NHL look good when they can boast about a 1000% increase in sales from the change of a uniform and logo that was 10 years old. So many people were excited to have the blue and gold return. It does hammer down your point of inevitable change that unless you are one of the big six teams, you can expect a re-brand every 5-10 years in the NHL.

I'm sure the red and black look was near the bottom when they went back to the blue and gold...It really makes the team and NHL look good when they can boast about a 1000% increase in sales from the change of a uniform and logo that was 10 years old. So many people were excited to have the blue and gold return. It does hammer down your point of inevitable change that unless you are one of the big six teams, you can expect a re-brand every 5-10 years in the NHL.

The problem was, it WASN'T near the bottom. I can't find statistics right now (I'm at work), but the Sabres Store couldn't keep jerseys in stock that year after the lockout. The remaining stock of Sabres jerseys was wiped out before the playoffs were over, so CCM had to produce more. Demand was so strong that they stopped putting the shoulder logos on to keep up.

Prior to the lockout, merchandise sales did struggle, but that happens when you struggle get 14,000 people to go to the games.

The problem was, it WASN'T near the bottom. I can't find statistics right now (I'm at work), but the Sabres Store couldn't keep jerseys in stock that year after the lockout. The remaining stock of Sabres jerseys was wiped out before the playoffs were over, so CCM had to produce more. Demand was so strong that they stopped putting the shoulder logos on to keep up.

Prior to the lockout, merchandise sales did struggle, but that happens when you struggle get 14,000 people to go to the games.

The Sabres have no problem meeting their revenue share, that won't be an issue for years to come. I'll be anxious to see in November 2008 how well the vintage was selling acompared with how well the slug was selling in November 2006.

The Sabres have no problem meeting their revenue share, that won't be an issue for years to come. I'll be anxious to see in November 2008 how well the vintage was selling acompared with how well the slug was selling in November 2006.

I will be very interested to see the figures. I really think that making alterations to the original design is going to help sales. Had they gone with a straight up vintage jersey, I doubt you'd see the same impact.

Archived