Alberta Gets 2012 WJHC

broncos711

http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=24...s=topStory_main

CALGARY, AB/ EDMONTON, AB - Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), announced on Thursday that the Province of Alberta will host the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship, in Calgary and Edmonton.

The 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship will take place from late December 2011 to early January 2012 in Alberta at the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary and Rexall Place in Edmonton.

"This is an exciting day for hockey fans in Alberta and throughout Canada," said Hockey Canada president and CEO Bob Nicholson. "The bid group from Alberta put forward a great plan, and the site selection committee was particularly impressed with the bid's focus on making tickets affordable for all hockey fans. We had two outstanding bids to consider and both groups would have been great hosts of the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship. Today, after completing the selection process, we feel that Alberta will present an event that will make all Canadians proud."

The schedule will consist of 31 games, created and approved by both the IIHF and the 10 competing nations. The game schedule will not be determined or announced until early 2011.

The Alberta Bid was led by a team from the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Sport Tourism Authority, Edmonton Events International, Edmonton Oil Kings, Calgary Hitmen, Northlands and Hockey Alberta.

"A joint Calgary-Edmonton bid is a natural choice when it comes to the World Junior Championship," said CHL president David Branch. "Both markets are home to model junior franchises and some of the best junior hockey fans in the country."

The Alberta bid was chosen from two potential groups who made final presentations in Toronto on June 9-10. The other finalist was a bid from Toronto.

"We are thrilled to have partnered with Edmonton and won the bid to host this prestigious event," said Jim Peplinski, Co-chair of the Alberta bid. "The World Junior Hockey Championship is truly a Canadian tradition and a tremendous event that we anticipate will bring significant benefit to the Province of Alberta, the tourism industry, and the hockey community."

Canada will host the IIHF World Junior Championship twice before the 2012 event takes place in Calgary and Edmonton: the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championship will be hosted by Ottawa from December 26, 2008 to January 5, 2009 and the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship will be held in Saskatoon and Regina, SK from late December 2009 to early January 2010.

Key elements of the Alberta bid:

The Alberta bid group has a very strong business plan that includes a projected championship attendance record of more than 475,000 tickets sold and an estimated economic impact to the province of over $45 million. The plan also guarantees affordability for families, with 42 per cent of the championship tickets to be priced between $12 and $40 each, and a legacy plan that will have a long-lasting impact on hockey in Alberta at the conclusion of the event. The Alberta bid group connects all levels of hockey in its plan, including minor hockey, Hockey Alberta, the CHL and the NHL.

The bid includes a strong partnership with the five Alberta-based WHL franchises (Calgary Hitmen, Edmonton Oil Kings, Lethbridge Hurricanes, Medicine Hat Tigers and Red Deer Rebels).

broncossigbz9.png

den-1.gifbsu-1.gifavs.gif

Every host has been chosen up to 2013 so it will be in Europe most likely then and Canada might have another shot in 2014

Not true - 2011 will be in the US, but only the final three cities have been announced, not the actual host. 2011 will be in either Grand Forks, ND (the 2005 host - so, technically Winnipeg has a chance, as that's where 75% of the fans came from that year); Minneapolis, MN; or Buffalo, NY.

I'd take Grand Forks of Minneapolis, as I'd have a chance to go to either...

Moose

Every host has been chosen up to 2013 so it will be in Europe most likely then and Canada might have another shot in 2014

Not true - 2011 will be in the US, but only the final three cities have been announced, not the actual host. 2011 will be in either Grand Forks, ND (the 2005 host - so, technically Winnipeg has a chance, as that's where 75% of the fans came from that year); Minneapolis, MN; or Buffalo, NY.

I'd take Grand Forks of Minneapolis, as I'd have a chance to go to either...

Moose

It'd be great for Buffalo to get it. Problem is that the Sabres would have to be away for a week or so. But that has happened before so it shouldn't be a problem. It would be a great boost to the city.

saBS.png

Winnipeg should get the next one I hope!

Winnipeg got theirs in 1999. Let the rest of the country get their turn.

Except Toronto.

I'm going to play the part of the ignorant American:

"Why not Toronto?"

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Except Toronto.

I'm going to play the part of the ignorant American:

"Why not Toronto?"

Toronto only cares for the Leafs. Sad, but true.

I saw, I came, I left.

Toronto has everything pro Baseball, pro Basketball, They have the NFL come play there, an NHL team the rest of the country is sick of hearing about

and it's not like Ottawa is a 5 hour drive

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Except Toronto.

So?

Helsinki had it in 1998 and 2004.

Plus Winnipeg will support it 100%

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Toronto has everything pro Baseball, pro Basketball, They have the NFL come play there, an NHL team the rest of the country is sick of hearing about

Actually, it is roughly a 5 hour drive from Toronto to Ottawa (depending on where you start).

I saw, I came, I left.

Actually, it is roughly a 5 hour drive from Toronto to Ottawa (depending on where you start).

Yeah if you start an hour west of Toronto it's 5 hours :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No kidding... driving on the 401 during rush hour really is a pain.... :wacko:

I saw, I came, I left.

I knew the USA was getting it in 2011, but always sort of assumed it would be out east in Boston or something.

To hear Minneapolis/St. Paul is one of the final three has my hopes way, way up that it will be here in my backyard. With the Xcel Energy Center (only USA host of the 2004 World Cup of Hockey that seats 18,000) and Mariucci Arena (home of the 2001 Women's World Championships seating 10,000) to offer, I think we're looking pretty good myself.

Depending on the demand, they could also offer Mariucci and Ridder Arena next door, the U of M's women's rink that holds 3400, nearly identical to the Ralph Englestad Arena in Thief River Falls that was the secondary arena when Grand Forks hosted in 2005. Perhaps a combination of all three.

Grand Forks and Buffalo do have one thing over Minneapolis - proximity to the Canadian border.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

No kidding... driving on the 401 during rush hour really is a pain.... :wacko:

Fortunately I only have to make the trek from Oshawa to Ajax on there... no traffic at all in the mornings but coming back is pretty packed (especially tonight with all the long weekenders on their way out)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I knew the USA was getting it in 2011, but always sort of assumed it would be out east in Boston or something.

To hear Minneapolis/St. Paul is one of the final three has my hopes way, way up that it will be here in my backyard. With the Xcel Energy Center (only USA host of the 2004 World Cup of Hockey that seats 18,000) and Mariucci Arena (home of the 2001 Women's World Championships seating 10,000) to offer, I think we're looking pretty good myself.

Depending on the demand, they could also offer Mariucci and Ridder Arena next door, the U of M's women's rink that holds 3400, nearly identical to the Ralph Englestad Arena in Thief River Falls that was the secondary arena when Grand Forks hosted in 2005. Perhaps a combination of all three.

Grand Forks and Buffalo do have one thing over Minneapolis - proximity to the Canadian border.

Well, Both GF an MSP have had it before, so perhaps that works against them, or maybe the IIHF goes with a known commodity. The Canadian border comment is certainly something that will be factored in. I went to GF in 2005, and as noted, at least 75% of attendees were from Canada/Winnipeg.

I wouldn't mind MSP, though (but I'm only an hour and 45 from GF as opposed to 4 hours from MSP). I haven't heard what rinks would be used. They could almost secure Mariucci for sure, then try to get the Xcel for just the medal games (or just US, or Canada games), and use Ridder for the smaller games. Make it a three venue event, and not disturb the NHL schedule too much, plus the Gophs might be able to still play their Mariucci Classic with this format...

Moose

Ridder would be too small for any of the games, I think; it only seats about 3,500. It is a terrifically intimate venue, though, I've gotten to referee some rec games there.

Don't forget about Target Center. It may not be the best setup for hockey, but it would likely still be usable.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived