Chiefs to sell naming rights for Arrowhead Stadium

Ez Street

From Staff Reports

Team owner Clark Hunt told The Star that ?Arrowhead? would still be included in the stadium?s new name.

The Chiefs are working with sports and entertainment company IMG to pursue a sponsor for naming rights. The stadium, constructed in 1972, is in the midst of a three-year, $375 million renovation project that will be completed in 2010.

Arrowhead is the NFL?s third-largest stadium, and Kansas City has ranked among the top three teams in attendance for nearly 20 years.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_ne...ory/771526.html

From Staff Reports

Team owner Clark Hunt told The Star that ?Arrowhead? would still be included in the stadium?s new name.

The Chiefs are working with sports and entertainment company IMG to pursue a sponsor for naming rights. The stadium, constructed in 1972, is in the midst of a three-year, $375 million renovation project that will be completed in 2010.

Arrowhead is the NFL?s third-largest stadium, and Kansas City has ranked among the top three teams in attendance for nearly 20 years.

Such is sports today.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

From Staff Reports

Such is sports today.

Indeed.

What if they sell it to Arrowhead Water?

That. would. be. awesome.

Semi-related: They're doing the same with the L.A. Coliseum for the same result, funding for renovations.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

It shouldn't be too bad, if they keep "Arrowhead". Say, Sprint Stadium @ Arrowhead. But if it was just Sprint Stadium it would be horrendous.

And yes I know the KC arena is named Sprint Center, so Sprint Stadium is unlikely.

saBS.png

EZ, they're gonna need someone to pay for the renovations...

And as the article said..." ?Arrowhead? would still be included in the stadium?s new name."...

It might not be a bad thing...JMHO

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

EZ, they're gonna need someone to pay for the renovations...

And as the article said..." ?Arrowhead? would still be included in the stadium?s new name."...

It might not be a bad thing...JMHO

Kind of like Invesco Field at Mile High?

I saw, I came, I left.

UGH!

I still call Progressive Field (Cleveland Indians) "THE JAKE" (Jacobs Field). Trust me, no one in Cleveland calls it Progressive Field.

In the last few years of existence, Riverfront Stadium in Cincy was remaned Cinergy Field. I never heard any Reds fan call it Cinergy Field. It was still simply "Riverfront" to them.

I'm sure the good people of both Kansas Cities (and a lot of other people who aren't Chiefs Fans.) will still call it "Arrowhead". (and the Barbeque you see in the tailgate parties will still smell good.)

P.S. The only stadium that should change its name is Turner Field. It should be named after Hank Aaron.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

P.S. The only stadium that should change its name is Turner Field. It should be named after Hank Aaron.

I liked its original name, Centennial Olympic Stadium.

And I am surprised by this, not because teams sell naming rights, but because I thought the Sea of Red was above that. I know that there would be an uproar if Lambeau Field ever changed its name.

Turner Field is Turner Field because Ted Turner bought the naming rights, a la Jacobs Field. Otherwise, it'd also be "insert your corporate name here" Stadium.

Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim is named for Arrowhead Water, if I'm not mistaken (and I easily could be).

While I'm not surprised KC's looking for a partner, I'd be surprised if they see much from a naming rights deal - the stadium will forever be known as Arrowhead no matter what, and a corporate naming rights deal isn't going to change that.

nav-logo.png

Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim is named for Arrowhead Water, if I'm not mistaken (and I easily could be)

It was, now it's the Honda Center.

Hopefully, once the renovations are done, they'll revert it back to "Arrowhead Stadium". They're only using the revenue for the renovations.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Here is what the Browns did.

The name of the stadium is Cleveland Browns Stadium. Yes, it's a bland name but at least you know who plays in it.

The naming rights went to THE ENTRANCE GATES. National City Bank, The Cleveland Clinic, etc. so the name of the Stadium remains Cleveland Browns Stadium.

The naming rights stuff is also with Auto Races, Golf Tournaments, etc.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

UGH!

I still call Progressive Field (Cleveland Indians) "THE JAKE" (Jacobs Field). Trust me, no one in Cleveland calls it Progressive Field.

In the last few years of existence, Riverfront Stadium in Cincy was remaned Cinergy Field. I never heard any Reds fan call it Cinergy Field. It was still simply "Riverfront" to them.

I'm sure the good people of both Kansas Cities (and a lot of other people who aren't Chiefs Fans.) will still call it "Arrowhead". (and the Barbeque you see in the tailgate parties will still smell good.)

There's already a Hank Aaron Stadium.

Here is what the Browns did.

The name of the stadium is Cleveland Browns Stadium. Yes, it's a bland name but at least you know who plays in it.

The naming rights went to THE ENTRANCE GATES. National City Bank, The Cleveland Clinic, etc. so the name of the Stadium remains Cleveland Browns Stadium.

The naming rights stuff is also with Auto Races, Golf Tournaments, etc.

.. and Lambeau Field does the same thing. However, I doubt that the companies, combined, don't pay as much as naming rights for the stadium itself.

I saw, I came, I left.

And I am surprised by this, not because teams sell naming rights, but because I thought the Sea of Red was above that. I know that there would be an uproar if Lambeau Field ever changed its name.

Well, maybe.

The citizens of Brown County did vote to explore selling naming rights, in order to retire the public debt early after the recent renovations. Fortunately, there was a high dollar limit and nothing ever came of it. The team, incidentally, was strongly (and publicly) opposed to it.

As we get farther and farther away from the renovations, it's less and less likely. But the Packers dodged a bullet.

Archived