Staten Island Skyliners Baseball Concept

RPimpsner

Here is a concept for a new name for the Staten Island Yankees. The name Staten Island Skyliners was the brain child of one of the team employees. I just went one step further and attempted to make a logo concept. I am still debating of replacing Staten Island with Richmond County (The county that is located on Staten Island).

Primary

Primary.jpg

Alternate

Alt.jpg

Sleeve Patch

SleevePatch.jpg

Wordmark

Wordmark.jpg

Home Wordmark

Home.jpg

Road Wordmark

RoadWordmark.jpg

First off, never use gradient. Ever. Secondly, the only part of this design that I really like is the sleeve patch. Try making that the primary logo and working from there.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I agree, gradients always seem good in your mind, but are horrible in reality. Look at how many actual teams use them, (zero?) and you might take that hint. I think if you look at actual designs from the real world and think about what almost all pro teams do, you keep yourself from overdoing a design.

Simple color schemes

Blocks of color

thick outlines

no gradients

uncluttered fonts (in most cases)

consistent color use (not black & silver, with a red-blue alternate)

I am all for innovation, but within the scope of what is viable. Sports design is distinct from corporate design, from comic book art, from cartoon, etc. Once you get a sense of the Sports design asthetic, you can produce logos that follow suit, even with innovation.

- No gradients

- Way too many caps in different colors

- No gradients

- Way too many different colors being used and mixed, most of them NOT in a good way

- On the Primary, the there is too much white space. Either fill it in with something, or make the skyline go higher. As well, there also seems to be too much empty black space at the bottom of the home plate.

- No gradients

I took out the gradiant and I will be re-working the uniforms and caps.

It all looks the same to me.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

That's much better. However, I'd ditch the font on the home jersey and the grey road caps (those never look good).

The silver wordmark on the jerseys doesn't work. Oh and for people who hate gradients, there is nothing wrong with gradients. What most people don't like, is the application of them. Most people don't know how to properly use a gradient so it looks good. To use a gradient properly is a skill few people work on and that's why they look so bad. It's kind of like people not using clipping paths in Illustrator.

I like gradients but I will admit they do not look as good as the plan colors in my design. As far as the home jersey, I am starting to agree with you there. At first I liked it but now after looking at it for a little while, it doesnt work as well as I hoped. I am working on a new one (possibly a pinstripe vest with SI logo).

Your concept is not bad at all, but it does need alot of work.

The first thing you should do is make the city background in a color that contrasts well with the script. The silver just gets lost in it all. If you take a look at the Mets logo, you'll see how something neat can be done with only 2 colors and very few elements. I'd say a white script with a blue and silver border like the alternate would look better than all silver. Basically, it should be in the same font as the SI logo. Stick with those, you do not need a dozen fonts. After that, if you make the skyline higher, it will fill the empty space at the top of the home plate.

I like the changes at the top, with the new color scheme. I am not a fan of the skyliners text and the effect you have on it. I do like the homeplate as part of the logo, but take out those wave looking things. It is much better than the first attempt.

Archived