NFL Redesign from Billy B

Billy B

So this is my first concept in a while, and I'm looking for help with it. I'm hoping to do the whole league, but I'm just going one at a time. The reason I chose to do the Browns first is because I'm looking for some advice on my presentation. The concept itself is pretty simple, but I'll still be taking C&C on it. More importantly I want to know if it looks good. Things like the sleeve stripes, I've had trouble with in the past and I want to know how they are.

Now onto the concept itself. Right now I think the Browns have some of the best uniforms in the league, so I didn't change much. The older brown color is used instead of the newer brown which is darker. I kept the helmet blank, just changed the facemask to white. I don't think a team should have a gray facemask if they have no gray in their color scheme. On the jerseys, the wordmark below the collar is gone, as is the AL on the sleeve. The sleeve stripes are switched in order on the road jersey. The white pants are the same, and I brought back the orange primarily for the road but both pants can be worn with either jersey. And the stripes are back on both the socks.

EDIT: I just noticed I placed the shoulder numbers wrong on the back view of the road jerseys, I will fix that shortly.

BrownsHome.png

BrownsRoad.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

So this is my first concept in a while, and I'm looking for help with it. I'm hoping to do the whole league, but I'm just going one at a time. The reason I chose to do the Browns first is because I'm looking for some advice on my presentation. The concept itself is pretty simple, but I'll still be taking C&C on it. More importantly I want to know if it looks good. Things like the sleeve stripes, I've had trouble with in the past and I want to know how they are.

Now onto the concept itself. Right now I think the Browns have some of the best uniforms in the league, so I didn't change much. The older brown color is used instead of the newer brown which is darker. I kept the helmet blank, just changed the facemask to white. I don't think a team should have a gray facemask if they have no gray in their color scheme. On the jerseys, the wordmark below the collar is gone, as is the AL on the sleeve. The sleeve stripes are switched in order on the road jersey. The white pants are the same, and I brought back the orange primarily for the road but both pants can be worn with either jersey. And the stripes are back on both the socks.

BrownsHome.png

BrownsRoad.png

I've never liked the Browns in colored pants. So I personally would not use them. I like the fact you have stripes on the hose to match the sleeve stripes as they always should. The reversal of the sleeve stripe colors would take sone getting used to but in all it's a good design. As I've stated many times on this board the Browns uniform, properly worn (ALWAYS WHITE PANTS), is as untouchable as Yankee pinstripes or the Dodgers Red numbers on the front.

This is the first Browns redo that I like for the most part. I do have to agree that the white pants are a must. Back in the day, the Browns only wore the white uniforms...looked better on a black and white TV. And saved the Brown jerseys for the championship games...not that is an issue anymore :cry:

I know this isn't a very ground-breaking concept, but it would be nice to get a couple more comments before I post the next one. And with that next one will be something a little more interesting, I will be doing the Cincinnati Bengals.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I really don't know what is so sacred about white pants (maybe with the brown uniforms) but as for the white ones, what wrong with the orange pants? Even a Brown jersey with orange pants? Those combinations should be in place. I like the orange pants and would keep them. People are too uptight about uniforms.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I really don't know what is so sacred about white pants (maybe with the brown uniforms) but as for the white ones, what wrong with the orange pants? Even a Brown jersey with orange pants? Those combinations should be in place. I like the orange pants and would keep them. People are too uptight about uniforms.

The Browns are, well were untill the expansion team that was put into place, all about history. The only team in professional sports with a plain helmet, conservative uniforms and all. The original Browns uniform was all white, white helmet, jersey and pants.

The addition of the orange helmet was the only significant change unitl the early 80's when the orange pants were introduced. But the team went back to the all whites late in the 80's and that was the last succesfull team for the Browns. Other than red right 88 the orange pants do not have that much historical significance with the Browns.

Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelley, Lou Groza, Bernie Kozar, Ernest Byner, Kevin Mack, Frank Mennifield, Clay Mathews...close your eyes and picture any one of these guys and Browns fans will most likely see an all white uniform. Its just history and tradition that is what makes the Browns so special to Browns fans...BECAUSE ITS ALL WE GOT! The "NEW Browns" dont feel like the old Browns and dont LOOK like the old Browns and it gets worse, not better, every year.

I got no problem with guys trying to make the Browns look different, that is what makes this board so fun. But I and many Browns fans are going to have a certain opinion about what a Browns uniform should look like and it wont change. Just like any change in a Michigan helmet or Ohio St helmet or Yankees pinstripes, or Alabama helmet by those fans wouldnt be acceptable. It is uptight I agree, but for good reason IMO.

I've been a Browns fan since before you were born. White pants are what we Browns fans grew up with. The Browns always look better in White pants. As I've said before, nobody's clamoring for the Yankees to change their pinstripes. Leave the Browns' pants alone! :mad:

Up next from the AFC North are the Cincinnati Bengals. Most people here don't like their current uniforms, so I made a lot more changes than the Browns concept. The helmet is the same bengal stripes that they have currently. Primary is still black. The sleeves on all the jerseys are orange with black stripes. No more ugly side panels or collar logo. I think the toned down jersey is fine since the sleeves are unique. Then there are white pants for each jersey with a wide orange stirpe with the bengal stripes inside, similar to their previous uniform. All socks are orange, and that's pretty much it Please give any C&C you have for this or the Browns concept.

BengalsHome.png

BengalsRoad1.png

BengalsAlt1.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Up next from the AFC North are the Cincinnati Bengals. Most people here don't like their current uniforms, so I made a lot more changes than the Browns concept. The helmet is the same bengal stripes that they have currently. Primary is still black. The sleeves on all the jerseys are orange with black stripes. No more ugly side panels or collar logo. I think the toned down jersey is fine since the sleeves are unique. Then there are white pants for each jersey with a wide orange stirpe with the bengal stripes inside, similar to their previous uniform. All socks are orange, and that's pretty much it Please give any C&C you have for this or the Browns concept.

BengalsHome.png

BengalsRoad.png

BengalsAlt.png

Switch to classic block numbers, make the orange the primary and you've got a winner, my friend.

They both look sharp Billy B.

The Bengals design is so much better than what they have now. The orange jersey should be their primary home. IMHO.

The Browns.....small change but still classic. I was a big fan of the old orange pants, before they made them shiny in 2001. They were "burnt orange" and looked good with the brown or white jerseys.

I added black outlines to the sleeves as elliot suggested, I thought those jerserys looked a little blank before and I think this helped. As for the home jersey, I think the black looks better than the orange, so that is why I made it the home.

I'm going to close out the AFC North, so if anyone has a preference as to what they want to see. The Steelers are going to be pretty traditional, and the Ravens will have a more modern design.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Flip the Browns' pants: brown with orange, white with white. I like the all-white Browns look a lot, but the colorful Browns are even better.

On the Bengals, go to a different numb font, probably just plain old varsity, and use orange numbers on black with a white outline. That would pop.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BrownsHome.png

BrownsRoad.png

I've never liked the Browns in colored pants. So I personally would not use them. I like the fact you have stripes on the hose to match the sleeve stripes as they always should. The reversal of the sleeve stripe colors would take sone getting used to but in all it's a good design. As I've stated many times on this board the Browns uniform, properly worn (ALWAYS WHITE PANTS), is as untouchable as Yankee pinstripes or the Dodgers Red numbers on the front.

I have to disagree. When I first saw the Browns' orange pants in the early 80s, I really liked the look, and was disappointed when they retired them for a long span. I think they look really sharp.

BrownsHome.png

BrownsRoad.png

I have to disagree. When I first saw the Browns' orange pants in the early 80s, I really liked the look, and was disappointed when they retired them for a long span. I think they look really sharp.

And here are the Steelers. The main thing that I think needed to be fixed was the sleeve stripes. On too many jerseys, some stripes are missing because of smaller sleeves. I tried to fix this by cutting down the stripes on the sleeves. I applied this same pattern to both the helmet and the pants to get a uniform stiping pattern on all elements. The numbers a back to a block font because there is no good reason to have italics. Also gone is the logo patch on the jersey, I think that just clutters up the front of the jersey. I looked at a yellow alternate, but it didn't look good, so there is just a home and road uniform.

SteelersHome.png

SteelersRoad.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I like it. I think that the Steelers current striping is a little too busy, but you simplified it nicely. I can't say I like the pants striping, though. Although it matches up well I like the wide stripe they currently use. Anyway it is a nice concept, as your others have been so far.

You don't like that stripes are truncated due to smaller sleeves, yet your redesign features stripes that will be truncated. I honestly don't think that any re-designed NFL jersey that has sleeve stripes (unless it's Carolina or New England style) makes much sense. No offense to your work, it just doesn't seem like you did anything to correct the problem that you pointed out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived