NASCAR Silly Season

floydnimrod

We have Offseason threads for other sports, but NASCAR's is just as exciting.

Here's what we know so far...

Tony Stewart will leave Joe Gibbs Racing at the end of the year and will move to Stewart-Haas Racing (the team he bought) Stewart will drive the #14 car and Ryan Newman will be his teammate, driving the #39 car. Sponsors announced so far are Old Spice and Office Depot.

Replacing Stewart in the JGR 20 car will be 18 year old phenom Joey Lagano, and Home Depot will remain on that car.

Mark Martin moves from his part time ride in DEI's #8 car to the #5 car at Hendrick Motorsports, making them a "superteam" having Martin Dale Jr., Jeff Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson.

This leaves Casey Mears the odd man out at HMS, he will be joining Richard Childress Racing as their fourth team. However Mears will replace Clint Bowyer in the 07 car, while Bowyer goes to the #33. This will be Mears5th car in 5 years. (At Ganassi he was in the 41, then the 42, at HMS in the 25, then the 5, and now the 07).

With Martin leaving DEI this creates a void in their four car team. Martin Truex Jr. re-upped for next year, while Regan Smith and Aric Almirola will be in the 01 and 8 cars respectively. This will be Almirola's first full time ride as he split time in the car this season with Mark Martin. Paul Menard announced he was leaving the 15 car to go to Yates Racing. Menard's sponsor, Menard's, is also leaving with him, as it will most likely follow him throughout his career.

Yates Racing now gets a third car. Joining David Gilliland and Travis Kvapil is Menard. The problem is that neither the 28 or 38 (Kvapil or Gilliland) have sponsors. While Menard's will come in as a sponsor, it will most likely sponsor Paul's car only. No word on what number Menard's car will be.

Gellette Evernham Motorsports has signed Reed Sorenson away from Ganassi to drive the 10 car. Patrick Carpentier, the current driver of the 10 car, has not been told wheter or not he will be back, but it will be "soon."

With Sorenson leaving Ganassi, this leaves the team with only one driver, Juan Pablo Montoya. Texaco-Havoline is leavin ghte sports, and Wrigley will be the primary sponsor for the 42 for 19 races. Dario Franchitti was the driver of the 40 car but that team has folded, and Franchitti will drive for Ganassi in the IRL leaving Ganassi's IRL team with the past two IRL Champions, Franchitti and Scott Dixon.

Penske's void left by Ryan Newman was filled by David Stremme, who served as the team's test driver this season. Stremme was last seen driving full time for Ganassi in the 40 car.

Roush racing still has five cars, with next year being the deadline for Jack Roush to cut back the maximum of four full time cars per team. Jamie McMurray will almost certainly be the man out, and it is rumored that another team owner has bought out McMurray's contract, but Jamie denies the rumor.

JTG Daugherty Racing signed Marcos Ambrose to drive the 47 car next year, but the team lost a transformer in a fire and signed a "technical alliance" with Michael Waltrip Racing for next year.

Red Bull Racing has signed Scott Speed to drive the number 84 car next season. AJ Allmendinger is out of a ride.

Brad Coleman will drive the 96 car for Hall of Fame Racing. It was previously driven by JJ Yeley, who was let go in August.

Sponsor Notes:

CATerpillar is leaving the 22 and will be Jeff Burton's sponsor in the 31.

UPS will be the 6 car's (David Ragan) sponsor.

US Army is being shopped around is could be just about anyone's sponsor next year.

What we don't know...

Who will drive the the 41 car. It isn't definite that it will be back but Chip Ganassi wants it back.

Who will drive ofor Gillette Evernham or DEI's fourth team, if there will be one.

What team, if anyone, bought McMurray's contract.

Scott Rigg's (driver of Haas-CNC's 66 car) said he has a conract waiting to be signed for next year, but we don't know how it's from.

Brad Keselowski may see time next year as A) a part time driver ofr a part time HMS team, or B) a driver for Dale Jr's team, JR Motorsports if he decides to take his team to the Cup level. Keselowski has said that he is not ready to run in the Cup Series yet.

Driver's Without Rides:

AJ Allmendinger

Tony Raines

Scott Wimmer (runs for RCR in the Nationwide Series, was rumored to be in the 33 car)

Scott Riggs (for now)

JJ Yeley

Jeremy Mayfield ( ran well in the 40 car in his only race in it at New Hampshire)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally. Another NASCAR fan. We may be the only ones using this thread but that's ok. I'm just thrilled to have someone else to talk racing with.

On topic, I could see Riggs going to the 41 car. He's s better driver than his equipment. The other stuff is a lot to take in with one post. I'll be back for more on it later.

Typical Talledega today. Nice move by Smith at the end but they should have gone outside.

I have to wonder if Paul Menard isn't keeping a better driver out of the Cup Series just because he brings a big sponsor with him wherever he goes. He's OK but I think there are Nationwide drivers who would do better in the same car.

BB52Big.jpg

Finally. Another NASCAR fan. We may be the only ones using this thread but that's ok. I'm just thrilled to have someone else to talk racing with.

On topic, I could see Riggs going to the 41 car. He's s better driver than his equipment. The other stuff is a lot to take in with one post. I'll be back for more on it later.

Typical Talledega today. Nice move by Smith at the end but they should have gone outside.

I have to wonder if Paul Menard isn't keeping a better driver out of the Cup Series just because he brings a big sponsor with him wherever he goes. He's OK but I think there are Nationwide drivers who would do better in the same car.

Keselowski is one of the better drivers, but Menard showed some talent today, although the strength of DEI at restrictor plate races may be part of it.

I'd love to see Riggs in the 41, or maybe at DEI.

I just hope that he doesn't end up at a place like HOF Racing is they expand to 2 cars.

Great race by the DEI boys today i hope Menard will find work he has been rumored to RYR to drive the 28 though

RYR was my guess for Menard as well. RYR could use the cash influx of a Menard's sponsorship.

What about finishing this year first?

This is what they call "silly season" because it's the time of year where contracts are either renewed or drivers are told they're done with their current teams. Sponsors either re-up or move on etc. If you read FNZ's post you would have noted all the changes already in store and the season isn't over for another 6 weeks. For example...Imagine if in July you knew that Josh Beckett was not only not coming back to the Red Sox but you also knew where he was headed next year. Actually, silly season has been going on for a while now. It's not an "offseason" in the traditional sense of the word but it is an interesting time for NASCAR fans. And the thread is called Silly Season not offseason.

Finally, if you aren't a fan or don't care then why bother dropping by the thread? If you are a fan then I hope my explanation helped.

BB52Big.jpg

Great race by the DEI boys today i hope Menard will find work he has been rumored to RYR to drive the 28 though

RYR was my guess for Menard as well. RYR could use the cash influx of a Menard's sponsorship.

What about finishing this year first?

This is what they call "silly season" because it's the time of year where contracts are either renewed or drivers are told they're done with their current teams. Sponsors either re-up or move on etc. If you read FNZ's post you would have noted all the changes already in store and the season isn't over for another 6 weeks. For example...Imagine if in July you knew that Josh Beckett was not only not coming back to the Red Sox but you also knew where he was headed next year. Actually, silly season has been going on for a while now. It's not an "offseason" in the traditional sense of the word but it is an interesting time for NASCAR fans. And the thread is called Silly Season not offseason.

Finally, if you aren't a fan or don't care then why bother dropping by the thread? If you are a fan then I hope my explanation helped.

I used to be a near-hardcore fan, much more than I am now. I didn't read it all to be honest but now the Chase is on I'd still rather discuss what's happening now than worry about next year, even though changes have been made. Even if you include the changes, I still think what's happening on the track is more important.

Is anyone else of the opinion that the Nascar season lasts way too long? It seems like the season is 11 months and 2 weeks long. It feels like we're always being bombarded with Nascar.

Now, that's not to say that I don't like Nascar, I just wish the season wasn't so long.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Is anyone else of the opinion that the Nascar season lasts way too long? It seems like the season is 11 months and 2 weeks long. It feels like we're always being bombarded with Nascar.

Now, that's not to say that I don't like Nascar, I just wish the season wasn't so long.

I agree that the season could be a little shorter. It would make it easier on the drivers as well as the "poorer" teams. 38 weeks is a long ass and expensive season. Especially when, with the exception of the two races at Lowe's for most teams, it's all "road games."

BB52Big.jpg

Is the NASCAR season any longer than Major League Baseball or the NBA? I feel one of these days we're going to have double headers with the NBA finals followed by the MLB All-Star game in July and a NBA game followed by the World Series on Christmas.

But back to the original topic. I don't really think Menard going to Yates is anything more than a level move. He is what he is, a top 25-30 driver with a sponsor coming from a team looking for sponsors to a team looking for sponsors. Don't expect much out of him. I'm just curious on Petty and their sponsorship for the 43 and what's going to happen with Kyle as Wells Fargo is going with him where ever he ends up. Does Petty do the right thing and shell out the money for Allmendinger, they should. I realize they have McCumbie, but Allmendinger is more of a proven commodity, the jury's still out on McCumbie. They've missed the boat on so many young drivers over the years, grab one that's up and coming that's run a season of Cup, and been screwed by his owners (Red Bull). I foresee Scott Speed being replaced by Bristol in August. He just reminds me of the typical driver who wows people in ARCA (running against weak competition), and trucks, and then fizzles in the Cup Series. An ARCA win backed by a Cup team, proves you have better equipment and should beat the weekenders, but equal equipment, well that's what the Cup Series is. If Scott Speed was everything that Red Bull thinks he is, why did they replace him in F1? It makes no sense to me at all. If he can't get it done with the big boys in Europe, what makes you think he'll get it done with the big boys here?

Is the NASCAR season any longer than Major League Baseball or the NBA? I feel one of these days we're going to have double headers with the NBA finals followed by the MLB All-Star game in July and a NBA game followed by the World Series on Christmas.

2008	NASCAR	NHL	MLS	NBA	MLB	NCAAB	NFL	NCAAF
LENGTH 281 249 239 233 219 154 150 134

It's way too long.

2008	NASCAR	NHL	MLS	NBA	MLB	NCAAB	NFL	NCAAF
LENGTH 281 249 239 233 219 154 150 134

It's way too long.

That's why I stopped watching.

I was a huge NASCAR fan in 2005 and 2006 then in 2007 they just kept having sooo many changes, And finally it was to much and I stopped watching.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

who's gonna drive Evernhams #19 next year?

Elliott Sadler will drive that car, he's locked up until 2010.

Kasey Kahne will still be in the 9 and Reed Sorenson will be in the 10.

As for what is still going on, Yesterday's race was pretty exciting, although it kind of crapped out because it would have been even more exciting had an "unknown" won the race. That being said I still think Regan Smith was being forced below the yellow line and that he made the pass after he came back above the yellow line. And NASCAR was wrong in putting in 18th (the last spot onthe lead lap).

As for Korbyn, I understand you there about the season being too long, and that are are too many changes. But I find it exciting.

I think there should be one race at each track, no exceptions, and a 32 race season, and also a race at Kentucky Speedway.

The KY Speedway situation is ridiculous, NASCAR says it wouldn't give a cup race to KY unless it put seats on the back straightaway, while the Speedway says it won't put seats back there until it gets cup race. There arguing like 8 years olds!

NASCAR also needs to lower ticket prices, It looked terrible yesterday when there were large protions of the seats empty.

NASCAR also needs to lower ticket prices, It looked terrible yesterday when there were large protions of the seats empty.

The economy and gas prices have more to do with that than the ticket prices. The TV ratings have gone up while attendance has dropped. That's telling me that people aren't spending the money to travel to the races. My Coca-Cola 600 tickets were only 43 bucks and we had good seats. Not the best seats in the place but still well worth the money.

BB52Big.jpg

I agree that the season could be a little shorter. It would make it easier on the drivers as well as the "poorer" teams. 38 weeks is a long ass and expensive season. Especially when, with the exception of the two races at Lowe's for most teams, it's all "road games."

It would also make it easier on all the crews, these guys work almost everyday during the season, they could use a rest.

I'll say this about Kentucky. They built a track and NASCAR gave them a Busch and Truck race, but where in the world does it state that when you build a race track NASCAR has to come? I think Kentucky got ahead of themselves and look like complete idiots. NASCAR has year to year contracts with each track, and the fact that they decided to sue NASCAR is a joke. If NASCAR was smart, they'd pull the Nationwide and Truck races from Kentucky and then sit there and ask Kentucky how it's doing. Kentucky needs NASCAR, not the other way around. What other series could you put at Kentucky that would make it worth anything? Open wheel? That's one. ARCA... well okay, that's barely two. Then what? Instead of being smart and just being quite, they sued. Bad move. I think a lot of people outside of Kentucky, could care less if it had a race. And for people who criticize California, the racing at Kentucky is the same. NASCAR doesn't need Kentucky on the schedule, like it doesn't need a second race at Texas, Atlanta, California, Michigan, Chicago, and Kansas. If you took those tracks that I mentioned that had two races out, you'd have a much more manageable schedule.

Not a rumor. It's a done deal. Another Ford joins the ranks as Yates Racing (Robert's son Doug runs the show over there now) expands to 3 teams. Will likely go to four cars in 2010 when Roush Fenway pares down to four teams (all teams are capped at four cars starting in 2010).

Oh, and "Logano" has only one "a". I live just down the road from his grandparents. No, I don't know them, sorry.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Not a rumor. It's a done deal. Another Ford joins the ranks as Yates Racing (Robert's son Doug runs the show over there now) expands to 3 teams. Will likely go to four cars in 2010 when Roush Fenway pares down to four teams (all teams are capped at four cars starting in 2010).

Oh, and "Logano" has only one "a". I live just down the road from his grandparents. No, I don't know them, sorry.

Which will still be one more win than he gets next season. They are rushing that kid. Taking over the Home Depot #20 at age 19? Yeah that's not much to ask. He's the next Casey Atwood.

BB52Big.jpg

Which will still be one more win than he gets next season. They are rushing that kid. Taking over the Home Depot #20 at age 19? Yeah that's not much to ask. He's the next Casey Atwood.

I don't think they're rushing him, Gibbs is a smart organization. But as far as him being the next Casey Atwood, with all this hype, that may not be too far off. He's got that smug arrogance that are Gibbs drivers, if Gibbs doesn't have the most arrogant "my crap doesn't smell" drivers I don't know who does. I like the drivers, but they are arrogant and Logano fits in with them. I still think he's going to do better than Scott Speed will.

Archived