University of Denver mascot controversy

roxfan00

Chancellor Coombe's Email To Students Regarding Denver Boone Mascot

Sent Monday, October 20, 2008 9:10 am

Dear Students,

Last year a number of students and alumni began to advocate for bringing back Boone as the University's mascot. The Boone image was created for DU in 1968 in response to a perceived need to update the closely related Pioneer Pete figure used in the preceding decades. For similar reasons, Boone was replaced in 1998 by our current mascot Ruckus, the red-tailed hawk figure we adopted when we built the Ritchie Center and moved back to Division I athletics. The response to Ruckus among the University Community has been generally ambivalent, and in recent years there has been considerable underground activity in Boone images and memorabilia. This ultimately led to the students' efforts last year to resurrect Boone as our official mascot. I subsequently asked Vice Chancellor Peg Bradley Doppes to chair a committee that would consider this matter in a more direct manner and move it toward a resolution based on broad discussion. As the committee was formed, its charge was expanded to cover more generally the history and traditions of the University with the objective of developing greater awareness and pride among the University community.

The committee's initial efforts indicated a groundswell of support for Boone. Over time, though, the responses became more polarized, a growing number suggesting that the Boone image of the 1970s was simply not reflective of either the DU or America of today, still less of the future. From this perspective, the old Boone figure is one that does not reflect the broad diversity of the DU community and is not an image that many of today's women, persons of color, international students and faculty, and others can easily relate to as defining the pioneering spirit. Certainly, this runs counter to our commitment to build a diverse and inclusive campus community as a fundamental element of excellence. While there was some discussion among the committee members of the possibility of modernizing the Boone image, this generated little enthusiasm.

Opinion on campus concerning this matter is now quite polarized, and a resolution is needed. We need to move on. Consequently, I have decided that Boone will not become the official mascot of the University. While I certainly appreciate the genuine enthusiasm behind the "bring back Boone" movement, the University simply cannot adopt an official mascot that has a divisive rather than unifying influence on our community. The image will not be used in any official manner by the University, nor will we provide financial support for its use by others. That being said, Boone is a part of our history, one that is treasured by many alumni and friends as a symbol of the University they knew three and four decades ago, and we are certainly an institution that honors its past. Hence it seems reasonable that students and alumni be allowed to use the image as a celebration of that past, to the extent that they may choose.

This entire matter begs the question of what sort of image or figure should be the official "mascot" of the University, or indeed whether we need one at all. Our major symbol is the "arched Denver" logo that is now ubiquitous across the campus and in the media. One thing is certain--we will always be the Pioneers. I'd suggest that what we do need is a community-wide discussion of what it means to be a Pioneer, for today and the future, and I ask that the history and traditions committee and our student and alumni organizations take up this question with a view to building community and clarifying our identity.

Robert Coombe, Chancellor

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable how the Left can politicize everything they come near. But it shouldn't surprise anyone. Academia is filled with this kind of nonsense.

University of Denver students who would like to see Boone back as their mascot should simply start sporting Boone t-shirts and decals. Let the students rake in the revenues and cut the university out of the whole thing.

FsQiF2W.png

"While I certainly appreciate the genuine enthusiasm behind the "bring back Boone" movement, the University simply cannot adopt an official mascot that has a divisive rather than unifying influence on our community."

Translation:

"We'll do whatever the people who complain the loudest and are most offended want."

You'll note that even if only 1% of the people somewhere are offended by something, they will be caved in to and pacified in the name of "unity." Screw the other 99%!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, so if so, please feel free to correct me.

It doesn't sound like anyone is "offended" by the mascot, just that some feel that

a.) it perpetuates a stereotype of westerners being coonskin-cap wearing, unshaven hillbillies, and

b.) that it's silly for women's athletic teams to be represented by a male mascot, and

c.) it's silly for non-white students to be represented by a white mascot.

I really don't think that any of these reasons sound unreasonable at all, and I think that by allowing the mascot to be reproduced at will without penalty, that they are making a great decision. They are not endorsing a "controversial" image, but they are not stopping those who support it from wearing it. I find it hard for anyone to be upset by this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It doesn't sound like anyone is "offended" by the mascot, just that some feel that

a.) it perpetuates a stereotype of westerners being coonskin-cap wearing, unshaven hillbillies, and

b.) that it's silly for women's athletic teams to be represented by a male mascot, and

a.)The "explanation" spells it out: "the old Boone figure is one that does not reflect the broad diversity of the DU community and is not an image that many of today's women, persons of color, international students and faculty, and others can easily relate to as defining the pioneering spirit." This translates into everday language as, 'Boone is too white, too male, too American and too much a throwback to the pioneering days when the kind of whites Chancellor Coombe and his friends consider backward and politically unreliable moved westward.' To Chancellor Coombe and the committee, Rosa Parks is a pioneer, not Daniel Boone or those like him. They also likely see anyone they dislike as coonskin-cap wearing, unshaven hillbillies and therefore unworthy to serve as mascot.

b.) Why should women's athletics, which generally leach off the revenues generated by men's athletics, have the veto say over the mascot choice? Should Syracuse change the name of its athletic teams to Orangepersons? How would blacks feel about that? How would whites?

c.) Is is silly for white students to be represented by indians? How about horses? Dogs? With regard to indian mascots, the argument always ran in the other way, that indians were being denigraded by use of indian images even when whites loved them. Does this mean whites would be denigraded by having Boone as a mascot? Protect me, please, Chancellor Coombe!

FsQiF2W.png

Wow. Just wow. I guess all schoold should just be named for colors, eh?

You know, I think we should expand this:

I am not originally from Illinois, and as a former New Yorker, I feel offended that the schools biggest public University, the University of Illinois - Champagne's "Illini" moniker doesn't fairly represent me. I also don't feel that a giant orange "I" is an accurate depiction of me.

Now we expand out. How about Indiana? How does someone who isn't white and isn't a native of Indiana relate to what a Hoosier is? It's impossible! Not only that, but the Hoosier is a symbol of the past and not of the future.

Here's another one I always felt uncomfortable with: SUNY Albany Great Danes. Is that to say that Fins and Swedes aren't "great?" That is obviously the implication.

I know this could go on and on, getting stupider and stupider, but this issue really sets me off.

It annoys me to no extent that, as someone stated earlier, 99% has to appease less than 1%.

(Note, I don't mean that a blatantly offensive logo shouldn't changed, but the Denver mascot is a cute little guy who I really can't imagine can seriously be found to be offensive by anyone.)

To quote the great Joe Montana from last night (10/19)'s episode of "The Simpsons," "I went to Notre Dame, which is a French name, but our mascot is Irish. That's the sort of thing I think about in the poster." (OK, that's not the quote, but it's close, I can't find it, and I need to stop being distracted and go back to work)

Unbelievable how the Left can politicize everything they come near. But it shouldn't surprise anyone. Academia is filled with this kind of nonsense.

University of Denver students who would like to see Boone back as their mascot should simply start sporting Boone t-shirts and decals. Let the students rake in the revenues and cut the university out of the whole thing.

First off, stop blaming "the Left." Conservatives have been running this country for twenty-seven years now. People on the right need to grow the heck up, stop whining, and take a little responsibility for the shape of the country after a generation and a half in power.

Second, I'm not sure how saying "Screw you!" to any portion of a student body can be considered a good way to build school spirit. Besides, college is exactly the right place to have these sorts of silly, over-thinking-things debates about meaningless symbolic issues. It's no different from all the Young Americans for Freedom groupies who discover Ayn Rand in freshman year. It's a big deal when you're living in a dorm and eating in the school food halls, but then you get it out of your system about the time you graduate and have to go find a job in the real world. There is, after all, a reason we call something an "academic" question if it's a trivial issue with no larger impact on the world. Such as, for example, the shape of this school's mascot. Anyone who gets worked up in favor of a mascot, to the point of calling names and pointing fingers at vast nonexistent conspiracies like "the Left" is just as bad as someone who gets worked up against a mascot to the point of calling it racist or classist or sexist or whatever.

As to the idea of just making Boone t-shirts and whatnot, that sounds about right.

(Hint to today's students: If you think about it hard enough, the coonskin-cap-wearing version of a pioneer can symbolize all other types of pioneers. Assuming you realize which is the symbol, and which is the referent, and that is a lesson you really ought to be learning in college anyway.)

20082614447.png

b.) Why should women's athletics, which generally leach off the revenues generated by men's athletics, have the veto say over the mascot choice? Should Syracuse change the name of its athletic teams to Orangepersons? How would blacks feel about that? How would whites?

They did change the name of their athletics teams from orangemen to just orange because of this.

First off, stop blaming "the Left." Conservatives have been running this country for twenty-seven years now. People on the right need to grow the heck up, stop whining, and take a little responsibility for the shape of the country after a generation and a half in power.

It's hardly about government, wonk, it's about culture and there's no doubt that the people who see this pretty harmless little mascot as a threat to multiculturalism are lefties of the worst sort.

As for "conservatives" running this country, HA! People who spend tax dough like it's water, disregard issues of national sovereignty and build overseas empires are hardly conservatives. Actions, not words, buddy.

FsQiF2W.png

They did change the name of their athletics teams from orangemen to just orange because of this.

Stupid, yes? Though I know you have a prejudice against orange, don't you? :P

Syracuse were once the Saltine Warriors and had an indian mascot, they changed that too. Maybe one day Syracuse can evolve toward something even less offensive than "The Orange."

FsQiF2W.png

Syracuse were once the Saltine Warriors

Change the name back. Make the logo a Zesta brandishing a sword and shield. I'll buy a shirt.

Oh, and just "Orange" sucks. Thank God Marquette at least listened during that "Gold" debacle...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Stupid, yes? Though I know you have a prejudice against orange, don't you? :P

Syracuse were once the Saltine Warriors and had an indian mascot, they changed that too. Maybe one day Syracuse can evolve toward something even less offensive than "The Orange."

orange is very offensive to me. i am currently hiring a lawyer to take this issue to court to force all schools to remove any use of orange from their identities. :P

Never thought I'd see the day a white mascot would be offensive. Should we just ban human mascots altogether?

Give it enough time and eventually a school will discontinue an animal mascot or change it because PETA has a hissy fit. A Chicago area religious school (wheaton college) has changed from "Crusaders" to "Thunder" because of the violence aspect, I can only imagine (don't know for sure but they did change). Are blue demons too satanic for a catholic school (DePaul)? Does USC and Michigan State misrepresent Greeks? Why is Wichita State still represented by an obscene hand gesture?

I am not getting involved in this...

To the ?99% loses to 1%? arguers; you need to spend some time thinking about what you say. Firstly, I absolutely guarantee that your math is wrong, but I will ignore that for the sake of simplicity. You are telling me that it is smarter to alienate and offend 1% of the population to make 99% of the population think they have a ?neato? mascot than it is to use a mascot that alienates and offends nobody? Therefore you are saying 99% of the population not being offended is better than 100% of the population not being offended. Nonsense. Also, you are basically saying that this theoretical 1% of the population cannot bitch because the white males(obviously 99% of the population) said this mascot was okay...but I will leave that for somebody else to get into. The point is, even if the offensive mascot offends only one person, the generic mascot still offends nobody. The choice is clear.

Denver does need a new logo, that pioneer/hawk thing just looks too weird.

2465.gif

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Archived