Pistons give Iverson "the original piston 1"

scraw28

Milo, by no mean personal achievements aremeasured by all star ballots, ask Yao ming, VC, etc. I wouldn't try to question the Vinnie's credit or any member of that team but as you mentionned, simply look how Dumars or Rodman performed in other post badboys teams, then compare it to Chauncey's teammates when he was injured, tired, or just not himself and you will see his real value which is why he got a well deserved mvp award. Now, you being in Troit and me from Paris, I wouldn't try to prove you wrong, but I KNOW my basketball! Every time the Pistons had a good start, then fell short, it was because of Billups not carrying the team till the end. Blame it on him if you want but just check Big ben, Rasheed, and YES even RIP, you will see none of the starting champs have been up to the task lately.

Chauncey's number should have been retired in the first place

That's absurd.

...And I had to look up the reason for the "original Pistons 1" reference, looks like it's more contrived "Mason" schtick. I can see how Kevin Porter and Dana Barros were forgettable wearing that number, but how about a guy named Lindsey Hunter?

Now that AI has it it will be complicated but why not? They retired Isiah's who went only 1 step further in terms of winning. I think Chauncey deserves it.

Isiah was here 13 years, was an incredible leader, bona fide NBA superstar and a fixture in the community. And he won two titles.

Chauncey was here 6 years, and was merely a nice fit on a unique team dynamic.

I can't believe you even made that comparison. Then again, Vinnie Johnson's #15 hangs from the rafters, so you can't put it past the Pistons.

Whaaaa? The Microwave was the coolest motherfunker to EVER play for the Pistons (barring a slick cat named Dave Bing).

That's absurd.

...And I had to look up the reason for the "original Pistons 1" reference, looks like it's more contrived "Mason" schtick. I can see how Kevin Porter and Dana Barros were forgettable wearing that number, but how about a guy named Lindsey Hunter?

Now that AI has it it will be complicated but why not? They retired Isiah's who went only 1 step further in terms of winning. I think Chauncey deserves it.

Isiah was here 13 years, was an incredible leader, bona fide NBA superstar and a fixture in the community. And he won two titles.

I can't believe you even made that comparison. Then again, Vinnie Johnson's #15 hangs from the rafters, so you can't put it past the Pistons.

Whaaaa? The Microwave was the coolest motherfunker to EVER play for the Pistons (barring a slick cat named Dave Bing).

Not sure that's what you mean, so I'll ask....simply being cool gets your number retired?

I have no attachment to the Pistons, but I think they will eventually retire Chauncey's number. Not only was he a fan favorite and multiple All-Star while with them, but his performance in winning a championship and Finals MVP is something I think that can't be ignored. The only thing that gives me pause is his relatively short tenure there. Still, of all past Finals MVP winners so far, only one player (Dennis Johnson who only played 4 seasons with Seattle) didn't have his number retired by the team he won the award with. Obviously, that's not a guarantee (esp. when you consider that most of the players that won the award were surefire Hall of Famers), but I think Chauncey has done just enough to get his number retired.

I think retired numbers should be left to those who achieve greatness; Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Dr. J, Wilt Chamberlain, Isaiah Thomas, etc. not Chauncey Billups...If Chauncey makes it to the Hall of Fame, then maybe, but as of right now I don't think he deserves his number retired. He did well with the Pistons, that's for sure, and I'm not taking anything away from him, but his performance is not number retirement worthy in my mind.

I think retired numbers should be left to those who achieve greatness; Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Dr. J, Wilt Chamberlain, Isaiah Thomas, etc. not Chauncey Billups...If Chauncey makes it to the Hall of Fame, then maybe, but as of right now I don't think he deserves his number retired. He did well with the Pistons, that's for sure, and I'm not taking anything away from him, but his performance is not number retirement worthy in my mind.
I think that there should be some standards that prevent teams from retiring whatever number they want (I'm looking at you Miami. I mean Jordan really? wtf), but to limit it to something like Hall of Fame-caliber players would be undercutting a lot of otherwise good players' contributions to a team. Plus, I think you should only really retire a player's number based on what they did while with that team. That would be like the Mavs retiring Kidd's number right now when he played his best with the Nets. It wouldn't be genuine.

That's absurd.

Not sure that's what you mean, so I'll ask....simply being cool gets your number retired?

I dunno, maybe he was a Bill Davidson favorite? It's his team, so who are we to argue with whoever he wants to honor with a retired number? It's all an arbitrary criteria anyway.

Going deep enough into the NBA's online store, you'll find the Allen Iverson #1 jerseys.

But you'll also find the new Nugget Chauncey Billups' jerseys with a #7.

Chauncey Billups #7 jersey

Yeah, I figured Billups would also wearing a different number if AI wasn't allowed to get his since #1 is already taken in Denver by J.R. Smith, and his old Nuggets #4 is also worn by Kenyon Martin.

6uXNWAo.png

anybody know a good place to buy lettering for nba jerseys? i have a stitched chauncey jersey and im thining im just gonna buy iverson and get that restitched on there. if anybody knows a good place just pm it to me.

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

Archived