Pistons give Iverson "the original piston 1"

scraw28

The All-Star guard, acquired in a trade with Denver on Monday, had wanted to wear his usual No. 3, which is currently being worn by second-year guard Rodney Stuckey. Stuckey indicated he would be willing to give up the number, but the NBA ruled Tuesday that a change in numbers can't take place until after the season.

That is horse :censored:!

First off, this rule has never applied before -- So why now?

And if this was Michael Jordan we were talking about, I guarantee he would've gotten his number.

6uXNWAo.png

The All-Star guard, acquired in a trade with Denver on Monday, had wanted to wear his usual No. 3, which is currently being worn by second-year guard Rodney Stuckey. Stuckey indicated he would be willing to give up the number, but the NBA ruled Tuesday that a change in numbers can't take place until after the season.

And if this was Michael Jordan we were talking about, I guarantee he would've gotten his number.

He's the reason for the rule. The Rule of #45, from when he switched from 45 back to his original 23 during the season (or was it playoffs?) in the spring of 1995 after his first comeback.

He's the reason for the rule. The Rule of #45, from when he switched from 45 back to his original 23 during the season (or was it playoffs?) in the spring of 1995 after his first comeback.

No. I am 99% certain Iverson was given #3 from DerMarr Johnson when he originally got dealt to the Nuggets from Philly, which was about 20 games into the 06-07 season.

6uXNWAo.png

This rule never sticks...

Example...When Chris Webber got traded to the Sixers, Andre Iguodala graciously handed over his #4.

Antoine Walker, when he got dealt to the Celtics, he wore #88 for a bit, but changed soon after to his usual #8.

In fact, Al Jefferson wore #8 for the Celtics when they got Antoine Walker back. Walker wore #88 for two games, then Jefferson switched to #7 and Antoine got his #8 back.

patriotssignature.png

Chauncey's number should have been retired in the first place

That's absurd.

...And I had to look up the reason for the "original Pistons 1" reference, looks like it's more contrived "Mason" schtick. I can see how Kevin Porter and Dana Barros were forgettable wearing that number, but how about a guy named Lindsey Hunter?

That's absurd.

...And I had to look up the reason for the "original Pistons 1" reference, looks like it's more contrived "Mason" schtick. I can see how Kevin Porter and Dana Barros were forgettable wearing that number, but how about a guy named Lindsey Hunter?

Now that AI has it it will be complicated but why not? They retired Isiah's who went only 1 step further in terms of winning. I think Chauncey deserves it.

That's absurd.

Now that AI has it it will be complicated but why not? They retired Isiah's who went only 1 step further in terms of winning. I think Chauncey deserves it.

Isiah was here 13 years, was an incredible leader, bona fide NBA superstar and a fixture in the community. And he won two titles.

Chauncey was here 6 years, and was merely a nice fit on a unique team dynamic.

I can't believe you even made that comparison. Then again, Vinnie Johnson's #15 hangs from the rafters, so you can't put it past the Pistons.

I never thought about comparing the two, but you know this jersey retirement stuff is all about winning and personal achievement. I just pointed out that Chauncey is not so far from Isiah in both + as you said spent twice as much time on the team. Now, when I see Isiah's recent history and the league's toughness on players behaviour (Hardaway someone?), I'm more worried of him ending in fab-five territory than Chauncey's legacy in Mich. BTW He had a worse team than the bad boys and we all saw it during the 2K5 finals when there was nobody to back him up as the team's leader.

I never thought about comparing the two, but you know this jersey retirement stuff is all about winning and personal achievement. I just pointed out that Chauncey is not so far from Isiah in both

Isiah over 13 seasons (all in Detroit): 12-time All-Star, 19.2 PPG, 9.3 APG, 2 NBA titles, Basketball Hall of Famer, and named to 1996's 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.

Chauncey over 11 seasons (6 in Detroit): 3-time All-Star, 14.8 PPG, 5.5 APG, and 1 NBA title.

That's absurd.

Isiah was here 13 years, was an incredible leader, bona fide NBA superstar and a fixture in the community. And he won two titles.

I can't believe you even made that comparison. Then again, Vinnie Johnson's #15 hangs from the rafters, so you can't put it past the Pistons.

Vinnie Johnson was an extremely important member of the Pistons during that era and his number deservedly hangs from the rafters.

That's absurd.

Vinnie Johnson was an extremely important member of the Pistons during that era and his number deservedly hangs from the rafters.

Yeah, but he's probably the fifth or six guy anyone would mention from that era, after Isiah, Dumars, Laimbeer, Rodman and arguably Salley.

That's absurd.

I think both Chauncey and Rip both deserve their #s retired, Not going to far to say Ben, Sheed and Tayshawn deserve it too, but idk, thats up for debate and up to the Pistons, but #1 and #32 should be in my opinion.

I think it's a more recent development than that. My understanding is that the NBA got strict when Kobe decided to change from 8 to 24 and Ron Artest was in the middle of doing his annual "tribute" change from 15 to 23 to 91 to... whatever he settled on. 96? So within the past couple of years. The Antoine Walker 88-8 thing is evidence of that.

Archived