NHL.com selling Whalers merch

Wheelhouse

Did the NHL acquire the rights to the Hartford Whalers identity? I might be wrong (and if I am, please feel free to delete the thread), but I always thought up until this point Hartford held the rights to the team name and logos.

Hat. Thermal. Hoodie.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Did the NHL acquire the rights to the Hartford Whalers identity? I might be wrong (and if I am, please feel free to delete the thread), but I always thought up until this point Hartford held the rights to the team name and logos.

Hat. Thermal. Hoodie.

Not really, when they are also selling North Stars and Nordiques gear. Though their prices for those clothes are outrageous :blink:

Hat. Thermal. Hoodie.

Not really, when they are also selling North Stars and Nordiques gear. Though their prices for those clothes are outrageous :blink:

The North Stars and Nordiques brands are owned by the NHL -- as far as we were concerned the State of Connecticut owned the Whalers brand -- I have no idea if anything changed with that but something must have happened.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Oh my goodness, it appears that someone may have finally come to their senses on this one. Now hopefully, they'll expand the Whalers line beyond all this overpriced Retro Sport (just an arm of Reebok, BTW) crap.

I could use a new navy Whalers jersey. The one I bought in '98 is wearing down.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I feel bad for those poor suckers who are selling the jerseys for a few hundred dollars - soon they may be going down in value as fast as most other stock people have invested in.

EDIT: Retro Sport may have acquired the rights independently - I saw someone who had bought a Whalers Retro Sport shirt from the NHL Store in NY as a limited edition item. Well, that is what he claimed. Notice how all three pieces are from that brand, not Reebok itself... although Retro Sport IS owned by Reebok International... This is very confusing... But I am willing to guess that branch may have bought the rights to reproduce that logo.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

$41.98 for a hat? I think I'll just stick with the 7 Whaler hats I already own....

$60 for the thermal too. <_< Wanna sell me a hat?

If I had duplicates, of course, but alas, I have none.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Coming from someone who owns 3 products from Retro Sports (A Leafs hat, a Leafs t-shirt and a St. Pats t-shirt) I will say that it is worth the price. This stuff is well made and very well distressed. Well, maybe I'm a sucker for paying $50 for a t-shirt... although they look better and more casual than most sports apparel out there...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

$60 for a goddamn short-sleeve T-shirt, ladies and gentlemen. Or perhaps you prefer $102 for a zip-up hoodie.

This Retro Sport stuff, it's gotta be targeted at the people who are obsessed with price tags and labels, and don't necessarily know the first thing about sports, right?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

$60 for a goddamn short-sleeve T-shirt, ladies and gentlemen. Or perhaps you prefer $102 for a zip-up hoodie.

This Retro Sport stuff, it's gotta be targeted at the people who are obsessed with price tags and labels, and don't necessarily know the first thing about sports, right?

Mostly. :P

But you gotta admit, it looks better than most of the sports apparel out there... it isn't junked up. Just has the logo big on the chest, which isn't a bad thing...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Mostly. :P

But you gotta admit, it looks better than most of the sports apparel out there... it isn't junked up. Just has the logo big on the chest, which isn't a bad thing...

Except for the dimensions of the logo being wrong on most of the items, yeah, the quality's great. <_< It appears they just took the '90s logo and clicked everything white or green in MS Paint when they felt the need to re-create the '80s version.

Targeting hipsters and doing a damn good job of it. Irony of wearing the logo of a team that doesn't exist anymore, and that stupid ass artificial fade they do on the graphics. Bleh.

msg-117798227822.jpg

the logo on the hat is photoshopped on, it appears.

The only other thing i can say about this is this:

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

EDIT: Retro Sport may have acquired the rights independently - I saw someone who had bought a Whalers Retro Sport shirt from the NHL Store in NY as a limited edition item. Well, that is what he claimed. Notice how all three pieces are from that brand, not Reebok itself... although Retro Sport IS owned by Reebok International... This is very confusing... But I am willing to guess that branch may have bought the rights to reproduce that logo.

That sure seems to be the case - every Whalers item on that site is by Retro Sport, and all the Whaler items I saw at the NHL shop on Avenue of the Americas were manufactured by Retro Sport.

Still, this seems to be a positive development, that the State of Connecticut is starting to license the logo at all.

That sure seems to be the case - every Whalers item on that site is by Retro Sport, and all the Whaler items I saw at the NHL shop on Avenue of the Americas were manufactured by Retro Sport.

Still, this seems to be a positive development, that the State of Connecticut is starting to license the logo at all.

Well, they have been selling the pucks for years, same with lapel pins. Clothing is something very new, maybe within the last 6 months. The strange thing is, that selection is not listed on their website nor most other clothing sites which carry the Retro Sport line, so it seems fairly exclusive.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Archived