Iowa baseball

Discrim

This just came to me yesterday...similarly to the words of one Dwayne Carter, this one comes straight from the tablet in my mind. so anyway, a couple nights ago I was looking through that unique HS/college nickname site and started googling random schools' logos until I came across that of the Little Hawks...the pride of Iowa City High. The Little Hawks take their moniker from, you guessed it, the Iowa Hawkeyes, and they likewise have made use of the tigerhawk logo we all know and love, though not the colors (ironically, City wears red and white). What caught my eye, though, was a logo City uses, a rendering of the tigerhawk that I don't think I've ever seen the Hawkeyes use...I won't tell you which one, but it should be fairly obvious. Then, out of curiosity I wanted to see what I could do with the aborted "new" tigerhawk that never made it onto an Iowa uniform. I had considered waiting until my new presentation was ready, but what the hell, this is too good to keep to myself. Leading off, the home and away, using the traditional hawk logo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...wabaseball1.png

second in the order, the alt vest and blackout (actually more graphite-ish, but it's essentially the same effect)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...wabaseball2.png

batting third, part one of set two, the home and away with the aborted tigerhawk

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...wabaseball3.png

and batting cleanup, the set two alts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...wabaseball4.png

gentlemen, start your engines. :ninja:

UPDATE: By popular demand, both sets have been tweaked. You can still see the originals via the above links. Anyways, the tweaked sets, the main thing yall gonna notice is the feather stripes are closer together, hence the residual pinstripes aren't as thick as before.

Set 1: Traditional Tigerhawk. I know one thing, it just aint Iowa without it.

home/away: home is off-white...road lettering is now black with gold outline

iowabaseball1_2.png

alternates: on gold, vest idea abandoned. both gold and blackout are largely unchanged, other than those noted above.

iowabaseball2_2.png

Set 2: Unused Tigerhawk. I've come to see this thing in a similar light to the Milwaukee Admirals' set: let's just say it's a VERY good thing I stumbled on that fullbody logo, cus truth be told, I think the mothballed hawk head is lame in comparison to the original, but give it a body and it looks a helluva lot better.

home/away: home numbers changed to black w/gold outline; IOWA and back number on road change to black w/gold outline

iowabaseball3_2.png

alternates: gold's lettering changes to black w/white outline, adds gold cap w/black hawk and bill; pillbox-inspired cap tweaked (more, thinner stripes) and paired with black jersey; black jersey's sleeve stripes are also more numerous and thinner.

iowabaseball4_2.png

with the changes made, have your say again. like my boy Spongebob, I'm ready! I'm ready! :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I can see you're going with the idea of the stripes becoming feathers. I like the way it looks on the pants.

However, there seems to be something going on with the thickness of the stripes on the jerseys that is simply unappealing. Moreso in the off-white jersey than the other colors.

Perhaps you could lower the feather tips on the jersey.

Those are sweet unis

thank ya kindly man, I was happy with it myself, though being happy with a design doesn't mean it can't be improved. Thus, I decided to improve it.

more modest stripes would be killer. Also, I love the two tone black uniform. I wonder if each one was in twotone- sort of like the new Oregon basketball uniforms - That might be a really cool way to have the pinstripes.

well, I toned it down a little bit. and thanks, I figured with that one, I may as well bust out the blackout (I know calling it two-tone black would drive Colorwerx and Braden crazy, but I figure most folks would end up calling this set all-black anyway). expanding on the two-tone idea, I just might do it.

I have to agree with most of the others. The stripes on these uniforms are just way too much. IMO they would look pretty cool without the stripes completely. I am also in the majority that like the full body hawk.

hey, at least yall honest...guess the biggest indicator that the first batch was a miss is that you wouldn't know I used different hawk heads, the way that batch was simply verbally obliterated. You can also count me in the majority that like the full body hawks*...hell, I couldn't pick between the two if you put a gun to my head right now.

*as mentioned in the initial post, I didn't design the body, I simply traced what I found. The regular hawk is closer to the original image than the newer hawk, which I further modified for a couple reasons: one, to accomodate the head, and two, to further match the admittedly fiercer appearance of the unused hawk head.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

HOLY BANANA PEEL!!!

Dawg...bump what them otha folx talkin' bout...this here is that FIYA!

Seriously, though, Mr. Carr...I'm loving this here. It'd be interesting to see how this would translate over onto an actual baseball uniform. You may have to thin up the black/thicken the banana peels, but still...shoot, if Oregon can get away with crazy mess, then why the hell can't the flagship institution of Iowa? (AND, to their credit, black is actually Iowa's primary color...well, that and/or yellow.)

And that tiger-hawk logo is straight-up superb.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If it was just a regular pinstripes, then it would look great. The thick stripes aren't working for me at all.

Also, IMO, I wouldn't keep that black pants in the set, and lose the stripes on the black jersey. It should just be black.

But I do like the wordmarks/logos.

IowaOaks.png

Archived