Southern Indoor Football League

Geoff

The owner of the Louisiana Swashbucklers didn't like some aspects of the Intense Football League-United Indoor Football Association merer to form the new Indoor Football League so he took his team to the new Southern Indoor Football League. At the time he said he was taking the Swashbucklers to the SIFL very little was know about the league but it has since announced its teams for 2009.

In 2009 there will be teams in

Austin, Texas - Austin Turfcats

Houma, Louisiana - no name announced yet

Houston, Texas - no name announced yet

Lafayette, Louisiana - Lafayette Mudbugs

Lake Charles, Louisiana - Louisiana Swashbucklers

Pasadena, Texas - Texas Titans

I assume that the Mudbugs will be the old Mississippi Mudbugs who plays in Tupelo in the AIFA but I am not sure.

Here are the logos that are out now:

sifl.jpg

logo.jpg

LouisianaSwashbucklers.gif

The SIFL already has commitments from 7 other cities for the 2010 season:

Beaumont, Tx, Houston, Tx, Lakeland, Fl, Pensacola, Fl, Tallahassee, Fl, Tampa, Fl, and Waco, Tx.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

So they downloaded the free Swashbuckler Font, used word art to put a gradient on it, and then slapped a clip-art sword behind it.

Fantastic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Meh that has been their logo for years. Dating back to their NIFL days.

Here's their wordmark:

SW_LA_Swashbucklers.gif

Just remove the "Southwest" and center the "Louisiana"

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Here are the logos that are out now:

sifl.jpg

logo.jpg

Logo-wise, teh League's not too bad, not overly original, but still very effective.

As for the TurfCats, I would like it if they didn't feel compelled to add that building in it... I mean, do people in Texas not know where Austin is, that they have to add a landmark drawing? Especially since it appears to be a totally different STYLE of illustration...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

To be fair, the S-and-Sword does also kinda sorta form a B as well, so they get a tiny bit of credit there. Tiny.

Agree on the Austin logo--decent, especially for this level, and if you leave off the building. But how in the world did they do something decent with TurfCatzzzzzzzzzzz?

And that list shows a lot of franchises in FLA. Doesn't really bode well for the future in my opinion. As has been said many times about several sports in the area, I don't know that the fanbase will care, with transplanted fans, and strong upper level teams in the area too. When you're sharing the fans' wallets with multiple teams under the "Arena" umbrella, plus a handful of NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, MiLB, and college teams...and transplanted fans from, say, NY State...I don't think that Florida should be seen as a viable investment for that many teams, especially in year two. Should they get a few? Of course.

But hanging almost a third of your league there, especially that early? Eh....

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

To be fair, the S-and-Sword does also kinda sorta form a B as well, so they get a tiny bit of credit there. Tiny.

Agree on the Austin logo--decent, especially for this level, and if you leave off the building. But how in the world did they do something decent with TurfCatzzzzzzzzzzz?

And that list shows a lot of franchises in FLA. Doesn't really bode well for the future in my opinion. As has been said many times about several sports in the area, I don't know that the fanbase will care, with transplanted fans, and strong upper level teams in the area too. When you're sharing the fans' wallets with multiple teams under the "Arena" umbrella, plus a handful of NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, MiLB, and college teams...and transplanted fans from, say, NY State...I don't think that Florida should be seen as a viable investment for that many teams, especially in year two. Should they get a few? Of course.

But hanging almost a third of your league there, especially that early? Eh....

Tallahassee and Lakeland might work, as they've both hosted proven teams in the past, and are far enough from larger cities that they can sustain on their own. Tampa is the oddball there.

Archived