NJIT Men's Basketball - worse than the Detroit Lions

sc49erfan15

What looked like a promising opportunity for a win ended just the opposite today, as Yale defeated NJIT 80-51.

Gary Garris was 6 of 9, including 3 of 4 from 3, and finished with a total of 19 points. Garris also had 10 rebounds - his second double-double in a row - but it was nowhere close to stop Yale. Isaiah Wilkerson added 15 more, but NJIT again had little supporting cast. Only six Highlanders scored, and Justin Garris was third in scoring for the Highlanders with only 7 points.

The Bulldogs, on the other hand, had 4 players in double figures. The game was competitive for most of the first half, as the lead was traded back and forth. However, Yale went on a 17-4 run to close the half, leading 33-20.

NJIT again was cold from the floor, shooting 18 of 52 (34.6%) while Yale was 31 of 59 (52.5%).

The Highlanders fall to 0-15, losing their 48th straight. They next travel to Columbia to face the 4-9 Lions on Friday, January 9.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Highlanders continue to roll

Columbia hands NJIT 49th straight loss

1 hour ago

NEW YORK (AP) ? Jason Miller had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Niko Scott scored 15 points and Columbia handed the New Jersey Institute of Technology its 49th straight loss, 73-50 on Friday night.

Isaiah Wilkerson had 13 points and Justin Garris added 11 for the Highlanders (0-16), who extended their NCAA Division I-record losing streak.

Columbia (5-9) trailed 4-0 after the first 1:32, but then went on a 20-4 run to take a 12-point lead with 11:53 left in the opening half. The Lions expanded the advantage to 43-23 by halftime.

Columbia has now won all four meetings with the Highlanders including a 73-60 victory on Nov. 17, 2006, that was the first Div. I defeat for NJIT, which had opened its initial season at the level with victories over Mahnattan and Rider.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8e72ui7NGw

So close but yet so far NJIT only lose by 8, but all in all its still 50 straight

BALTIMORE -- Jamal Barney scored 40 points to lead Loyola to a 70-62 victory over the New Jersey Institute of Technology, extending Division I's longest losing streak to 50 games on Wednesday night.

Barney broke a school record by making 18 free throws and is the only player in school history to have two 40-point games.

Gary Garris scored 20 points, Jheryl Wilson had 14 and Justin Garris added 11 for NJIT (0-17).

The Greyhounds (6-12) ended the first half on a 30-7 run and led 36-19 at the break. NJIT chipped away, and a 3-pointer by Wilson cut the margin to 40-33 with 15:52 remaining. A free throw by Gary Garris tied the game at 56 with 4:11 left.

Loyola then made 10 of 14 free throws and held NJIT to just two field goals the rest of the way to pull out the win.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290142352

Next Game 1/17 vs Penn

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Keep the Ball Rollin'

Its now 51 and counting....

Penn 59, N.J. Tech 40

NEWARK, N.J. -- Brennan Votel and Harrison Gaines each scored 15 points to lead Penn to a 59-40 win over the New Jersey Institute of Technology on Saturday, sending the Highlanders to their 51st consecutive loss.

Tyler Bernardini added 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Quakers (4-8), who won for the third time in their last four games. Isaiah Wilkerson finished with 15 points and five rebounds for NJIT (0-18), while Gary Garris had 11 points.

The teams traded the lead early on, but Penn closed with a 9-4 run to take a 25-18 lead at the break. The Quakers then took command early on in the second half, using a 17-4 run to pull away from the Highlanders.

Penn also won the battle of the boards, outrebounding NJIT 38-29.

NJIT has not won since it defeated Longwood on Feb. 19, 2007.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290172885

Next game is 1/21 vs Bryant

Z3R0SYST3M thinks this is when it will end, we shall see.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Bryant University 51, N.J.I.T. 61

Recap Box Score Play-By-Play GameCast Conversation

1 2 T

BRY (3-16) 15 36 51

NJIT (1-18) 31 30 61

Final

NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey Institute of Technology ended its 51-game losing streak Wednesday night, getting 26 points from Jheryl Wilson in a 61-51 victory over Bryant.

Isaiah Wilkerson added 14 points for NJIT (1-18), and Gary Garris had 13.

NJIT had not won since it defeated Longwood on Feb. 19, 2007. The Highlanders, in their third year of Division I competition, went winless last season after posting a 5-24 record in 2006-07.

Peter Lambert had 21 points to lead the Bulldogs (3-16).

Bryant cut the margin to 50-43 on a pair of free throws by Cecil Gresham with 2:37 to play, but Wilkerson answered with a basket on the next possession, then made two free throws to give NJIT an 11-point cushion with 1:40 to go.

Leading 12-10 with 13:02 left in the first half, NJIT went on a 14-2 run to take control of the game. Wilson scored eight of those points, including two 3-pointers.

NJIT led 31-15 at halftime.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=290212885

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Great story - I'm glad they finally got one. And to have it happen at home is even better... I hope they're partying it up at NJIT tonight.

Exactly why I started this thread... worked out almost perfectly. NJIT loss after loss after loss... and finally a win.

I'll keep updating periodically - especially if they grab another W.

Congrats NJIT... you deserve it!

• 2 weeks later...

For a small update, NJIT has dropped three straight (to Longwood, MD-Eastern Shore, Chicago State) since beating Bryant.

The Highlanders have a good chance for a win tonight, hosting 2-20 fellow Division-1 transfer Houston Baptist.

For a small update, NJIT has dropped three straight (to Longwood, MD-Eastern Shore, Chicago State) since beating Bryant.

The Highlanders have a good chance for a win tonight, hosting 2-20 fellow Division-1 transfer Houston Baptist.

So much for exacting revenge on MD-Eastern Shore.

Well, at least NJIT can be proud that they don't have the worst record in D-I.

That honor belongs to my LMU Lions. 1-22. A year of roster turnaround, injuries, and a coaching controversy with the new coach taking a medical leave of absence, only to resign and return to the Blazers' staff.

VmWIn6B.png

Well, at least NJIT can be proud that they don't have the worst record in D-I.

That honor belongs to my LMU Lions. 1-22. A year of roster turnaround, injuries, and a coaching controversy with the new coach taking a medical leave of absence, only to resign and return to the Blazers' staff.

Suit up. You have eligibility! You're 3 inches taller than their tallest players - three 6'9" forwards. ^_^

Archived