Junior league hockey fight turns fatal

habsfan1

Devils fans seemed to compose a preponderance of the people who yearned for ties and low scoring after the lockout.

There is nothing wrong with low scoring games.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this incident has shed light on a very dangerous and unnecessary element of the sport. The only solution is an immediate removal of the risk factor.

That's right... get rid of the ice.

Woohoo! Floor Hockey! :woot:

I saw, I came, I left.

There is no need to change the professional game just because of an incident in a mens senior league. God Bless this fella and his team mates I'm sure there having a rough go of it right now. But the OPJHL is not the NHL.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

There is no need to change the professional game just because of an incident in a mens senior league. God Bless this fella and his team mates I'm sure there having a rough go of it right now. But the OPJHL is not the NHL.

The NHL has done the most to perpetuate the idea that fighting is acceptable and "part of the game", by never cracking down on it sufficiently. That's why it filters down to lower levels, because it's reinforced as okay on hockey's biggest stage.

Honestly, if I was Gary Bettman, I'd do like the European leagues and throw em out for the rest of the game. No suspension, but fight and you're gone. I'd also implement a misconduct penalty (10 minutes) for checking to the head. Nothing will happen unless the NHL does drastic things. That way, you aren't eliminating fighting, but you're cutting down on the number of fights.

In the Blues/Blue Jackets game last week (I can't remember some names), the Jackets skater got cross-checked in the head area by Jackman of the Blues. After this, Tyutin for the Jackets barged in to help out his teammate. They got into a fight, and the story goes from there (it was a pretty good one too), but here's the penalties each of them got.

Tyutin:

-2 min Instigator

-5 min Fighting

-10 min Misconduct

Jackman:

-5 min Cross-Check

-5 min Fightning

-10 min Game Misconduct

You can argue whether or not the Game Misconduct came from the cross-check or the fight (or a combination), but even without the fight, he probably still gets at least a 10 min Misconduct, if not the Game Misconduct he got. Either way, if it's that bad, then "See ya!"

6fQjS3M.png

Archived