Junior league hockey fight turns fatal

habsfan1

This is the first time I've heard of a fatality due to something that occured on the ice. Alot of people say that someone's going to get killed if the violence in hockey doesn't stop or at least gets toned down. Well...that day has come...unfortunately.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/090102/cana...ockey_sanderson

A fight-related injury has cost a 21-year-old senior hockey league player his life.

Don Sanderson, a defenceman for the Whitby Dunlops, died in Hamilton General Hospital early Friday morning. The news was reported on the team's website.

Sanderson was in a coma since Dec. 14, when he struck his head on the ice during a fight in a Major League Hockey game. Sanderson's helmet came off during the tussle.

Sanderson, who was a native of Port Perry, Ont., attended York University. He played previously in the Ontario Provincial Junior Hockey League for the Ajax Attack and the Trenton Sting.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sympathetic of the situation here....But how fast will it take the media whore Gary Bettman to get on his soap box about NHL rule changes in response to this event? Lest we forget the Columbus/Puck death incident as an example?

It's not necessarily Gary Bettman and the soap box. If the insurance companies that cover the teams and league decide that because of events like this there is too much risk and rates need to soar, Bettman has to do things like put up silly nets just to appease the insurers.

But I forgot - Bettman sucks at everything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hopefully this story stays quiet the last thing we neeed is people to take this out against hockey and eliminate rough play.

Stay quiet? Someone died!!!!!!!!!!

This is a major story in all the Canadian news outlets. Thankfully people realize that this was an accident. Everything that went wrong did. The player was in a fight, lost his helmet, and fell and hit his head on the ice. That's happened many times, unfortunately this time the player went in to a coma. Prayers and sympathies to all his friends and family.

1zqy8ok.gif

Hopefully this story stays quiet the last thing we neeed is people to take this out against hockey and eliminate rough play.

This is a major story in all the Canadian news outlets. Thankfully people realize that this was an accident. Everything that went wrong did. The player was in a fight, lost his helmet, and fell and hit his head on the ice. That's happened many times, unfortunately this time the player went in to a coma. Prayers and sympathies to all his friends and family.

In Canada people will take this news in stride, and can put it perceptive. In America it will be hockey needs to be changed and blown out of proportion.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

In Canada people will take this news in stride, and can put it perceptive. In America it will be hockey needs to be changed and blown out of proportion.

Hockey does need to be changed....

Yes, this. I was waiting for the first wave of people to defend fighting, even after the worst has happened. Good news, pro-fighting guys...you have Tank on the front lines, arguing your side.

Yes, this. I was waiting for the first wave of people to defend fighting, even after the worst has happened. Good news, pro-fighting guys...you have Tank on the front lines, arguing your side.

Honestly this really doesn't have anything to do with fighting. This happened in the Ontario Senior League, where fighting isn't allowed. Fights result in ejection for those involved in this league.

1zqy8ok.gif

Honestly this really doesn't have anything to do with fighting. This happened in the Ontario Senior League, where fighting isn't allowed. Fights result in ejection for those involved in this league.

Of course this has to do with fighting, otherwise we would not be talking about it ^_^ My feeling is nothing will change in the NHL or pro level as a result, but more so at the amateur level, where for now, it should be looked at. While I am a fighting detractor, I understand it has it's place in pro hockey right now. I would prefer to see more than 5 minute major as the penalty for fighting. It is not to say there should not be rough play. I like a good, clean body check, which at least is part of the flow of the game. That gets me out of my seat. A fight? not so much.

I saw, I came, I left.

Honestly, if I was Gary Bettman, I'd do like the European leagues and throw em out for the rest of the game. No suspension, but fight and you're gone. I'd also implement a misconduct penalty (10 minutes) for checking to the head. Nothing will happen unless the NHL does drastic things. That way, you aren't eliminating fighting, but you're cutting down on the number of fights.

Honestly, if I was Gary Bettman, I'd do like the European leagues and throw em out for the rest of the game. No suspension, but fight and you're gone. I'd also implement a misconduct penalty (10 minutes) for checking to the head. Nothing will happen unless the NHL does drastic things. That way, you aren't eliminating fighting, but you're cutting down on the number of fights.

Its perfect now, there is nothing wrong with fighting in hockey.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

they already do cut it down, its called the instigator rule. and it allows for more thuggery and stickwork as a result. i dont know the solution to the problem in the senior league circuit, as they already outlaw fighting period. this incident was a complete and total accident. outlawing fighting is not the answer, even the penalties you suggested arent, as sometimes, penalties are not a deterrent.

as an aside, *hops on his soapbox* if you outlaw fighting, even with the current instigator rule, you allow for more thuggery as players know that at certain points they wont have to answer for their actions. the biggest problem in the NHL is most guys dont have respect for one another anymore and will run at will at guys with no regard, then they wont have to answer for their actions and if someone decides to stand up and protect their teammate, theyre the ones who get suspended. theres something wrong there IMO.

*hops down* i am done.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Its perfect now, there is nothing wrong with fighting in hockey.

Besides the fact that it has lead to serious injuries and, in this case, death. As much as I disapprove of it, fighting will always have its place in hockey. Despite the "history" of fighting, it just seems so foolish to partake in.

Fighting has its place, but it better be good. Some goon trying to "rally the troops" by fumbling and groping with the team's goon counterpart is meaningless. Minor leaguers having artless fights because they're told that's what the customers pay to see is stupid. I just want to see dirtballs who take liberties with star players get their lights punched out. This was an unfortunate accident, but it shouldn't effect ill-conceived reactive measures by the NHL.

Just as magical as a Wayne Gretzky one-timer, if you ask me. O, the beautiful hockey that would result from Patricks Kane and Sharp if they had a teammate who could mete out comeuppances like that. They'd have forcefields. Man, that clip makes me giddy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

they already do cut it down, its called the instigator rule. and it allows for more thuggery and stickwork as a result. i dont know the solution to the problem in the senior league circuit, as they already outlaw fighting period. this incident was a complete and total accident. outlawing fighting is not the answer, even the penalties you suggested arent, as sometimes, penalties are not a deterrent.

as an aside, *hops on his soapbox* if you outlaw fighting, even with the current instigator rule, you allow for more thuggery as players know that at certain points they wont have to answer for their actions. the biggest problem in the NHL is most guys dont have respect for one another anymore and will run at will at guys with no regard, then they wont have to answer for their actions and if someone decides to stand up and protect their teammate, theyre the ones who get suspended. theres something wrong there IMO.

*hops down* i am done.

This is exactly the tired rhetoric I was waiting for someone to post. I'm sorry, but if it's a criminal act outside the arena, then it has no place in sports. If simple ejection isn't working in the various senior and rec leagues, then a season ban seems the next logical step. Lifetime bans should follow for repeat offenders.

In the NHL, it's not up to the players to police themselves like everyone so mindlessly says. That's up to the officiating crew and league office. It's on the players to keep their sticks down and play the game, and for the league to strike down with great vengeance and furious anger when they don't. When the consequences become dire enough, they'll learn. The NHL just has to grow some balls, and be willing to dig in and ramp up the penalties and suspensions. They may lose the Neanderthal element of their fan base, but they just might become a major league sport in the process.

This is exactly the tired rhetoric I was waiting for someone to post. I'm sorry, but if it's a criminal act outside the arena, then it has no place in sports. If simple ejection isn't working in the various senior and rec leagues, then a season ban seems the next logical step. Lifetime bans should follow for repeat offenders.

If I run up to someone and tackle them, that's assault. It's not even a penalty in football, it's the point of the game. If I throw a baseball at 90-100mph at someone, it's more than a free base, it's a free night in jail. So baseball and football shouldn't even exist?

If I run up to someone and tackle them, that's assault. It's not even a penalty in football, it's the point of the game. If I throw a baseball at 90-100mph at someone, it's more than a free base, it's a free night in jail. So baseball and football shouldn't even exist?

Tackling is something that happens within the actual rules of football. It's expected, consensual and regulated for safety. It's not legal to intentionally throw a baseball at someone during a game, and likewise fighting is something that happens apart from the gameplay itself. They're not objects of their actual games.

You compared one thing that is "the point of the game" to two things that aren't. That was a very poor argument.

Well, it's in the rulebook, technically speaking. You just get a five-minute penalty for doing it. Intentionally hitting someone with a baseball would be outside the confines of hockey, though, so I better not see Jordin Tootoo trying to brush back Steve Downie with the high heat.

But hey, now that we're talking about beanballs, I think all that stuff is troglodytic and contrived in baseball, yet I think there's a place for restitutional assault in hockey. I hope it's not apples to apples here, or else I'm a big dumb hypocrite.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived