Team Canada 2010

Let's fast forward a year, it?s 2010, and you?re Hockey Canada. Who are you picking for Team Canada?

Here are my picks.

Forwards

Sydney Crosby, Jarome Iginla, Vincent Lecavalier, Jason Spezza, Danny Heatley, Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, Martin St. Louis, Marc Savard, Eric Staal, Rick Nash, Ryan Smyth, Jeff Carter

Defence

Chris Pronger, Dion Phaneuf, Dan Boyle, Brian Campbell, Wade Redden, Ed Jovanovski, Jay Bouwmeester

Goalies

Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Cam Ward

Reserves:

Shane Doan, Jonathan Towes, Patrick Kane

CanadiensBanners.jpg

banners-1-1.jpg

If Wade Redden is on the team it will be a victory for all the other countires.

But I would think Scott Niedermeyer will be on the team. With the games in BC (where he is from) he will probably actually want to participate this time around. Marty Brodeur will be Canada's starting goaltender again I would bet.

Also, Patrick Kane who you have on the reserves is an American.

Where is Mike Richards?

He would bring so much heart to the team. Not only do I expect him to make it, but I also can see him having a 'A'.

As well Brennan Morrow would also bring some grit to this team.

I would choose those two players over Eric Staal and Jason Spezza who are both overrated.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

On a team like this, Jason Spezza will be 4th line player. If that is the case, I agree with Korbyn that Brendan Morrow or Mike Richards would be a far better option than Spezza. I would even put Jordan Staal ahead of Spezza.

And for defence, Mike Green, Brent Burns, and Shea Weber are much much much better than Ed Jovanovski and Wade Redden.

In goal, I would assume as long as Marty Brodeur is healthy, he will be on the roster, regardless of who the starter is (I would choose Roberto Luongo).

And yes, Patrick Kane is American.

Wade-sig.png

Yeah Scott Niedermayer has said he would love to play in 2010 for Canada. He wants to play for themone more time. His contract with the Ducks ends this season, but based on this and how well he's still playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 1-year deal with the Ducks to continue playing with his brother and the play for the Olympic team.

And yes Patrick Kane is an Amerikaner lol

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

On a team like this, Jason Spezza will be 4th line player. If that is the case, I agree with Korbyn that Brendan Morrow or Mike Richards would be a far better option than Spezza. I would even put Jordan Staal ahead of Spezza.

And for defence, Mike Green, Brent Burns, and Shea Weber are much much much better than Ed Jovanovski and Wade Redden.

In goal, I would assume as long as Marty Brodeur is healthy, he will be on the roster, regardless of who the starter is (I would choose Roberto Luongo).

I've got to agree with MVP about Mike Green and Weber. Jovo is past his prime, and Canada will have plenty of veteran leadership already. Weber does everything Jovo Cop did in his prime; physical player, fight when needed, and score goals like crazy!

Brodeur will be somewhere on the roster sheet, but probably not in a starting role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a reserve behind Luongo and M-A Fleury, or possibly Cam Ward.

I would also much rather see Richards over Spezza.

I've got to agree with MVP about Mike Green and Weber. Jovo is past his prime, and Canada will have plenty of veteran leadership already. Weber does everything Jovo Cop did in his prime; physical player, fight when needed, and score goals like crazy!

Brodeur will be somewhere on the roster sheet, but probably not in a starting role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a reserve behind Luongo and M-A Fleury, or possibly Cam Ward.

Why wouldn't Brodeur end up in the starting role? I'm sorry but he his better than Luongo, M-A Fleury or Cam Ward (And the last one isn't even close) as of right now. I know he is injured currently but it's not a career threatening or even one that is supposed to affect future performance. He won 4 out of the last 5 Vezina's and before he got injured was off to the best start in his career. He plain and simple is still the best goaltender out there and Hockey Canada would be fools to not have him as their #1 goaltender.

As an Team USA fan and NJ Devils fan I don't want Marty to go to the Olympics because I don't want him facing off against the US and want him rested for what's more important, the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your defence corps has a some guys who shouldn't be considered. Jovo is past it, Redden's game is in the dumper, Bouwmester hasn't lived up to potential (there are several Canadian defencemen with better stats both offensively and defensively this year you overlooked), and even Pronger may be on the downside, but you need some veteran presence I guess.

Shea Weber needs to be on the team.

I'd go, Pronger, Weber, Boyle, Campbell, Phaneuf, Souray (if he could stay healthy), and Mike Green or Duncan Keith as a seventh man.

As for why Brodeur wouldn't be the starter in goal? Luongo is ascending, and I think Brodeur is descending. Health and age play in too. Luongo is seven years younger. I think both will be on the team, and whoever plays best will end up starting. Hell, I think Cujo was the projected starter in 2002 and that didn't last long.

Ryan Smyth has given a lot to Hockey Canada in his time, but I don't believe he's good enough anymore to be on the team. I think you have to look at Correy Perry, Mike Richards, and if he continues to play as well as he is this year, Patrick Marleau before Smyth. Smyth's age and health is a liability.

I was thinking about starting one of these threads anyways my Team Canada for the 2010 Winter Olympics

Forwards

Jarome Iginla ©, Joe Thornton (A), Sidney Crosby, Rick Nash, Ryan Getzlaf, Shane Doan (A), Vincent Lecavalier, Jason Spezza

Dany Heatley, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Brad Boyes, Patrick Marleau

Defensemen

Dion Phaneuf, Shea Weber, Robyn Regher, Jay Bouwmeester, Brent Burns, Mike Green, Dan Boyle

Goaltenders

Roberto Luongo, Marty Turco, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, (Martin Brodeur can easily slide in here)

Reserves

F Jonathon Toews, F Eric Stall, D Duncan Keith, D Braydon Coburn, G Cam Ward

Goalie was pretty tough I can really see Brodeur playing beyond 2010 also considered Marc-Andre Fleury and Carey Price

Defense wasn't as bad seeing Chris Pronger and Wade Redden are getting older, Ed Jovanovski, Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Kevin Bieska we're also considered

Forward was by far the toughest having Toews and Eric Stall not cracking the roster but in the reserves Patrick Sharp, Sam Gagner, Mike Cammalleri, Martin St. Louis, Corey Perry, Brad Richards, Brendan Morrow, Jordan Stall, Derek Roy and ''Steven Stamkos'' (who knows) also I highly doubt Joe Sakic will be still playing

Canada overall even with most of the players not making the cut could still make Canada competitive

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Why wouldn't Brodeur end up in the starting role? I'm sorry but he his better than Luongo, M-A Fleury or Cam Ward (And the last one isn't even close) as of right now. I know he is injured currently but it's not a career threatening or even one that is supposed to affect future performance. He won 4 out of the last 5 Vezina's and before he got injured was off to the best start in his career. He plain and simple is still the best goaltender out there and Hockey Canada would be fools to not have him as their #1 goaltender.

As an Team USA fan and NJ Devils fan I don't want Marty to go to the Olympics because I don't want him facing off against the US and want him rested for what's more important, the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Like Corvus said, Luongo is on the rise, Brodeur is nearing the end of his career. 2010 is still a year away, and who knows what will happen when Brodeur comes back from his injury. I'm not saying he won't be a starter, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't.

It's time to invigorate some youth into what is becoming an aging Canadian roster.

A BIG no to Jovanovski. He's a liability on defense, and at his age, isn't worth it for his offense.

Mike Richard for SURE needs to be on the team. Isn't he 1st or second in goals this year? He's an incredible leader too. God yound talent.

As for goalies, I'd go with Luongo-Brodeur, with Carey Price as the third for experience.

A BIG no to Jovanovski. He's a liability on defense, and at his age, isn't worth it for his offense.

Mike Richard for SURE needs to be on the team. Isn't he 1st or second in goals this year? He's an incredible leader too. God yound talent.

As for goalies, I'd go with Luongo-Brodeur, with Carey Price as the third for experience.

Not quite.

He is 39th in Goals however he is 11th in Assists and 16th in Points.

He was part of the 2002/03 Memorial Cup Champion Kitchner Rangers and plus was Captain of Team Canada when they ended their seven-year Gold-less drought at the WJHC.

There is zero reason why he shouldn't be on that team.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Okay really the only thing I can really put a stamp on in my mind is the Captains and the Assistants

Jarome Iginla - Captain

Joe Thornton - Assistant

Shane Doan - Assistant

And Vincent Lecavalier could also fit the mold

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Okay really the only thing I can really put a stamp on in my mind is the Captains and the Assistants

Jarome Iginla - Captain

Joe Thornton - Assistant

Shane Doan - Assistant

And Vincent Lecavalier could also fit the mold

I would have zero problem with Iginla with the 'C'.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Not quite.

He is 39th in Goals however he is 11th in Assists and 16th in Points.

He was part of the 2002/03 Memorial Cup Champion Kitchner Rangers and plus was Captain of Team Canada when they ended their seven-year Gold-less drought at the WJHC.

There is zero reason why he shouldn't be on that team.

Oops, I was thinking about his teammate, Jeff Carter, who IS number one in goals. My mistake.

My 2010 Team Canada

FORWARDS:

Dany Heatly - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla

Ryan Getzlaf - Joe Thornton - Vincent Lecavalier

Simon Gagne - Marc Savard - Jeff Carter

Brenden Morrow - Mike Richards - Shane Doan

DEFENCE:

Chris Pronger - Scott Neidermyer

Dion Phaneuf - Dan Boyle

Shea Weber - Mike Green

GOALIES:

Roberto Luongo - Martin Brodeur - Carey Price

RESERVES/POSSIBILITIES:

Eric Staal, Johnathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Jason Spezza, Jay Bouwmeester, Rob Blake, Devon Setoguchi, Patrick Marleau, Brian Campbell, Rick Nash, Drew Doughty *, Luke Schenn *

* = Long shots

Crosby was considered for the 2006 games, so why cant Doughty and Schenn at least be given a look at for the team?

Captain: Jarome Iginla

Assistant: Scott Neidermyer

Assistant: Shane Doan

Assistant: Joe Thornton

Im probably missing a few guys that didnt come to mind, but if they do Ill be sure to add them in.

Im honestly surprised though that none of you have mentioned Simon Gagne. He did play in 2002 and is a legit 80+ point guy when healthy. He's a proven sniper, the guy deserves a spot as a reserve at the least. He'd be on my team though.

beLEAF

I forgot Morrow, he could very well be in there, good point. That is a solid 4th line...Im going to edit mine now lol. Richards and Morrow could very well be on the team and they could easily wear an A. I love Mike Richards though, solid, gritty, in your face player who can score when needed.

beLEAF

Archived