2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Okay, I can't not touch it. With all of the beanballs (many intentional) in the past 2-3 weeks, why was Cardinals middle reliever Brad Thompson the only guy to get suspended, when he didn't even hit a guy.

Baseball HAS to find a better way to handle these situations both in-game and post-game.

After David Wright was hit in the head yesterday, Santana threw behind Sandoval. Benches were warned. Sandoval would homer in that at-bat, though, so Santana hit the next batter, Molina.

No ejection.

What?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I can't not touch it. With all of the beanballs (many intentional) in the past 2-3 weeks, why was Cardinals middle reliever Brad Thompson the only guy to get suspended, when he didn't even hit a guy.

Baseball exists outside St Louis

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I actually meant to include that. Porcello was suspended almost surely because of what ensued, not because of the pitch.

Have you been paying attention with these beanings the last 3 weeks? Are you going to tell me the only reason I see inconsistencies is because I'm a Cardinals fan?

Whatever. It's a legitimate point. AND I'm a homer. Those things can happen simultaneously believe it or not.

I actually meant to include that. Porcello was suspended almost surely because of what ensued, not because of the pitch.

Have you been paying attention with these beanings the last 3 weeks? Are you going to tell me the only reason I see inconsistencies is because I'm a Cardinals fan?

Whatever. It's a legitimate point. AND I'm a homer. Those things can happen simultaneously believe it or not.

I'm just saying there's a greater chance your homerism is clouding your vision of what's going on than there is that MLB has a bias against one of it's more successful markets

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I never said or meant to imply a bias, Chris.

I don't think there's a conspiracy, I just think they're awful and inconsistent at the way they do it.

I also don't care a bit that we might not have Thompson available for three games, that's just what brought my attention to the subject.

I'm just surprised it's not getting more talk, here. There's got to be a better system for enforcing this stuff.

You're right that it's inconsistent. That's for damn sure. And as the "King of Consistency" (whatever that means), it is your duty to point that out.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Rangers took 2/3 from the Sawx and the lead in the WC race in the process. Sure makes Friday's chokejob easier to handle. Especially Fx2 coming back and showing that it was an anomaly.

Amen. I'm not planning a parade but this team is flat-out FUN to watch. As a long suffering Rangers' fan, I'll take being relevant in mid-August.

For once they don't fold in the Summer, implode after a painful loss, pitch out of their minds and actually seem to have each other's backs'. Sure it might end at some point, but until it does I'm enjoying the ride.

T.O. may have left the Metroplex but I've got my popcorn ready!

newsig.jpg

The Tigers Acquire Aubrey Huff from the Orioles

Not a bad pickup on the Tigers end, they definitely needed the hitting and Huff should help

Huff has really struggled this year. Funny because he had a monster year last year and supposedly nobody wanted him. Yet he is able to net a team's top 10 prospect in one of his worst years. When Huff's on he's a great hitter to have in the lineup, it just seems like he has yet to turn the corner this season (he is a better 2nd half hitter). Maybe the change in scenery and playing for a contender will help.

The Red Sox have officially released John Smoltz.

So where to now? The Dodgers, Rangers, Cardinals, Astros and Marlins are all rumored destinations.

I know a team in desperate need of even an average closer...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So where to now? The Dodgers, Rangers, Cardinals, Astros and Marlins are all rumored destinations.

You wouldn't happen to be talkin' about my beloved Northsiders, would you? 'cause their bullpen is sooo sh1tty!

6uXNWAo.png

You wouldn't happen to be talkin' about by beloved Northsiders, would you?

Nope.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 mins to go and still no word.......

Headed to bed, when I wake up and find that he's not signed, it'll be hard to stay loyal to the Nats.

It's midnight in the east and no dice. Better luck next year. Perhaps the Nats can re-draft Strasburg in 2010. ;)

6uXNWAo.png

Headed to bed, when I wake up and find that he's not signed, it'll be hard to stay loyal to the Nats.

It's midnight in the east and no dice. Better luck next year. Perhaps the Nats can re-draft Strasburg in 2010. ;)

$15 million deal in the works.

EDIT: Done deal, 4 years $15.67M.

Welcome to D.C. Strasburg!

It's midnight in the east and no dice. Better luck next year. Perhaps the Nats can re-draft Strasburg in 2010.

Well done, Washington! The Yanks and Sox are now relying on you to have the kid groomed in time for the 2014 season. ;)

6uXNWAo.png

It's midnight in the east and no dice. Better luck next year. Perhaps the Nats can re-draft Strasburg in 2010.

Well done, Washington! The Yanks and Sox are now relying on you to have the kid groomed in time for the 2014 season. ;)

Or in a couple seasons (late 2013), he could flame out like Mark Prior.....

Woohoo, way to go (G)Nats! I figured they'd have to move to the $20MM range to sign him. Based on all the "expert" opinion, I don't think this was as ridiculous as some people are going to try make it sound.

With all the talk about Strasburg, it was overlooked that the number 2 and 3 picks went down to the wire, too. Did they sign? They were Boras clients as well.

EDIT: Here's the story. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4403920

Win-win situation for both Strasburg and the Nationals. I'm ready to get my ticket!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived